What's new

Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB? (6 Viewers)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My only experience with their customer service was when I had some problem with a mailing or something several years ago. I picked up the phone and called them, and it was taken care of on the spot.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
Has anyone had problems with Customer service with this club. I'm kind of shocked from the lack of response I have received since it is a Disney company. I just joined and received my initial 7 blu's, one of them came with a scratch that causes it to freeze. I sent a reply on the service contact form and got the usual auto-reply that we will reply in 2-3 days. Well after 3 days and no reply I send the contact again only to receive a reply of "Sorry you need to contact this e-mail instead" So I contact that one and its now been another 3 days. So off to contacting them again. Pretty frustrating and poor customer service compared to all other online vendors I deal with: Amazon, Warner Archive, Deep Discount
Honestly I've found Disney has some of the best in person Customer Service around for the very few times I've contacted them over the years. I've never used email for them so maybe that part is different.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I found their phone customer service to be quicker/more responsive than email back when I was a member (not sure if that's still the case).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately it looks like I will have to use the phone. Which is not a good option for me calling these companies waiting on hold and giving all the information usually takes 20-30 minutes and since I'm at work during the weekday its not a good option for me. Not sure why so many other sites can have an effective e-mail support system and a large company like Disney cannot.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Brandon Conway said:
Two more new-to-Blu DMC exclusive catalog titles in December:

The Love Bug (1968)
Herbie Rides Again (1974)
I take it the former will be stripped down from its 2-disc DVD special edition. I'd sincerely loved to be proven wrong.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
MatthewA said:
I take it the former will be stripped down from its 2-disc DVD special edition. I'd sincerely loved to be proven wrong.
I understand your frustration, but personally, since I already have the Disney special editions on DVD, I just combine the Blu-rays with the DVDs and then I still have all the extras. I just hope they don't drop the 5.1 remixes this time around like they did for Apple Dumpling Gang.
Brandon Conway said:
Two more new-to-Blu DMC exclusive catalog titles in December:

The Love Bug (1968)
Herbie Rides Again (1974)
I take it this comes from next month's mailer which hasn't been sent out yet? Do you have a scan, because there's nothing online yet?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I wish I'd seen this thread earlier - I have a few tips for those of you who haven't yet joined.

First: Do *NOT* join the BR club!

Use the code 10042D to join the DVD club. (Notice the only difference is "D" instead of "B" at the end of the code - it's still a "7/2" code)

No, I'm not crazy - the DVD club has slightly better terms and you can *still* order BR titles for enrollment or fulfillment.

The enrollment part and agreement is *almost* the same:

1) You agree to purchase 3 commitment titles within the next 24 months ($19.95+ for DVD/ $29.95+ for BR)2) You select 5 BR for $1.00 as part of the initial sign-up/enrollment offer.3) Take an optional 6th BR for an additional $11.95 (this title will go towards your commitment reducing it from 3 titles to 2)4) Plus you can take an optional 7th BR for an additional $8.95 (this title does not go towards your commitment of 3 titles). Even though this title does not count towards your fulfillment its cost is still less than the average per title cost once youve fulfilled your obligation. So it's recommended you take advantage of the offer.5) The 2 remaining commitments must be $19.95 + S/H if you purchase a DVD or $29.95 + S/H if you purchase a BR (with the BR code *all* purchases, DVD or BR, must be $29.95 or more to count).

This method of joining allows you to purchase Club Exclusive or other DVD titles @ $19.95 for fulfillment credits if you desire. It also opens the door for the "negative response" option.

The drawback is you're automatically offered the featured selection in DVD format so you *must* decline and manually order the BR if that's what you want.

So... that's my advice.

I was a member years ago and had a good experience. I quit simply because I'd purchased what little they offered that I wanted and couldn't see purchasing more titles unless I were going to cycle accounts because their post-commitment prices are just not that good. It's only been in the past few months they've added enough titles in which I'm interested to consider joining again. I never received anything I'd not ordered nor defective merchandise. The only real issue I had was purchasing a more expensive title ($50+) still only counts as a *single* fulfillment! Unlike CH, DMC doesn't have a sliding scale where a increased price results in more fulfillment credits.

The few times I had need to contact CS I did so via online forms and never had any issues.

As far as rejecting the selection of the month - just stay on top of things. As soon as you get the notification there's a new selection log in immediately and decline the shipment.

When you are ready to quit the club do it online. They'll send a email confirmation of your cancellation which can help should anything go awry. Even then, continue to log on until the account is locked to make sure any selection of the month is declined.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Used to be that the only incentive for joining the DMC was the "exclusive" Warner-Archive-equivalent bare-bones disks of rare titles (like Condorman, The Monkey's Uncle or Donald in Mathmagic Land) that would only be available from the Club for two years before going for wide sales, but seems like there aren't that many left that haven't hit Amazon by now.
Now those titles just sort of stay in the Exclusive catalog, although Vudu has most of them available for streaming.

(It's tempting, but I'm not sure whether to get an entire membership just to get a decent copy of "Dad, Can I Borrow the Car?". :( )

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Mark-P said:
I understand your frustration, but personally, since I already have the Disney special editions on DVD, I just combine the Blu-rays with the DVDs and then I still have all the extras. I just hope they don't drop the 5.1 remixes this time around like they did for Apple Dumpling Gang.I take it this comes from next month's mailer which hasn't been sent out yet? Do you have a scan, because there's nothing online yet?
I got the info from a thread in the other forum. That appears to be the source of the info.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Mark-P said:
I understand your frustration, but personally, since I already have the Disney special editions on DVD, I just combine the Blu-rays with the DVDs and then I still have all the extras. I just hope they don't drop the 5.1 remixes this time around like they did for Apple Dumpling Gang.

I take it this comes from next month's mailer which hasn't been sent out yet? Do you have a scan, because there's nothing online yet?
I could do that, but what about someone who doesn't own the 2-disc DVD? Why should they have to buy a separate edition in a standard definition format just to get the extras, which were damn good?

On the plus side, Herbie Rides Again didn't get any extras to begin with, so there are none to lose.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Nice to see some Disney live action titles getting released onto Blu but I wish Disney would pick up the pace.
Like for example:

The Black Hole (1979)

Captain Ron (1992)

Swiss Family Robinson (1961)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. Nice to see some Disney live action titles getting released onto Blu but I wish Disney would pick up the pace.
Like for example:

The Black Hole (1979)

Captain Ron (1992)

Swiss Family Robinson (1961)
add to that list:
1950 - Treasure Island
1954 - 20.000 Leagues under the Sea
1957 - Old Yeller
1960 - Pollyanna
1961 - The Parent Trap
1962 - In Search of Castaways
1963 - Summer Magic
1964 - The Moon Spinners
1965 - Those Calloways
1968 - Blackbeard's ghost (the DVD is cropped to 4:3 from widescreen)
1974 - The Island at the Top of the World
1975 - Escape to Witch Mountain
1978 - Return from Witch Mountain
1985 - One magic Christmas
1985 - Return to oz
1994 - Iron Will

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Konstantinos said:
add to that list:
1950 - Treasure Island1954 - 20.000 Leagues under the Sea
1957 - Old Yeller
1960 - Pollyanna
1961 - The Parent Trap
1963 - Summer Magic
1964 - The Moon Spinners
1965 - Those Calloways
1985 - Return to oz
1994 - Iron Will
So is The Moon Spinners. One of my absolute favorites, and it's a painful compromise when I want to watch it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Matt Hough said:
So is The Moon Spinners. One of my absolute favorites, and it's a painful compromise when I want to watch it.
the PAL DVD is widescreen

the question is:
Is the 1.33:1 cropped from the widescreen (as it's obvious with BLackbeard's ghost) or the widescreen is open matted from an original 1.33:1?
Because in the 2nd case, the full screen version actually has more image.

I saw this comment at amazon:
I noticed that quite a few people complained that the DVD of this picture was not widescreen. I'm not sure of the specs on this particular film, but thought that people should be aware that most Disney pictures made in the 60's and 70's were actually shot in standard 35 mm (this is full screen ratio, on a standard television) and then just had the top and bottom of the picture masked off during theatrical projection.

So, there is certainly a chance that "Moonspinners" was shot the same way, and the full-screen presentation on DVD shows the complete film frame.
If indeed that is the case, I would prefer the full frame..

edit: Hmmm.. The widescreen is indeed open matted (it's cropped from top and bottom, but has more on the sides):

j45r67.png

PDVD_000.png

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Konstantinos said:
add to that list:1950 - Treasure Island1954 - 20.000 Leagues under the Sea1957 - Old Yeller1960 - Pollyanna1961 - The Parent Trap1962 - In Search of Castaways1963 - Summer Magic1964 - The Moon Spinners1965 - Those Calloways1968 - Blackbeard's ghost (the DVD is cropped to 4:3 from widescreen)1974 - The Island at the Top of the World1975 - Escape to Witch Mountain1978 - Return from Witch Mountain1985 - One magic Christmas1985 - Return to oz1994 - Iron Will
Seconded on every one. Add the following (including two Touchstone flicks):Three Men And A Baby (1987)Three Men And A Little Lady (1990)The Parent Trap (1998 remake)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Konstantinos said:
add to that list:
1957 - Old Yeller
1960 - Pollyanna
1961 - The Parent Trap
1963 - Summer Magic
1964 - The Moon Spinners
1965 - Those Calloways
1985 - Return to oz
1994 - Iron Will
well, it seems i got one wish, although from the Disney club! :angry:
An Escape to Witch Mountain: 40th Anniversary Edition is also expected to be announced soon.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111014_1430

edit: Oh, it says they'll be widely available in 2015.
So, :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Disney Movie Club website has now gone live with The Love Bug and Herbie Rides Again blu-rays. I was all set to order them along with Princess Mononoke and Guardians of the Galaxy 3D, but for some unknown reason they've yanked the pre-orders for Guardians of the Galaxy (all versions) from the club. I'll either have to place an order without it this time around or wait until it comes back. :(
1235570.jpg
1235580.jpg

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Konstantinos said:
add to that list:
1957 - Old Yeller
1960 - Pollyanna
1961 - The Parent Trap
1963 - Summer Magic
1964 - The Moon Spinners
1965 - Those Calloways
1985 - Return to oz
1994 - Iron Will
I'd be in for all of these. I'd also love to see the Davy Crockett shows on Blu-ray. While I'm at it , wouldn't Blu-ray be a great way to release Disney TV considering the capacity of the format ? Mickey Mouse Club, Disneyland , Wonderful World Of Disney with box sets devoted to shows like Texas John Slaughter, Swamp Fox etc., etc !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks