What's new

Anyone is the Denver, Co area interested in a HT Meet? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is how the plan ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I'm up for this... please add my name to whoever is organizing it.

It seems to me that it would be REALLY easy to organize something simpler, such as a get together at a restaurant. Takes almost no planning at all. There'd be no HT there, but WE would be there...

Anyone like this idea? For me (in Boulder), north of Denver would be fine, if not Boulder itself.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Meeting at the RIO Boulder sounds like a good plan to me. Nothing like drinking some Margaritas and talking home theater.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Ok, Mike... let's get some feedback on a day of the week, and then I can toss out some dates.

I prefer weekday evenings. Monday, Tuesday, or Friday are best.

Anyone else?

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Any evening but Wednesday and Friday evening will usually work for me. Any one else out there have some suggestions?

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Me. Me. Me.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this thread. I'll mark it so I'll get updates.

Gosh, I hate to hear about Thiel blown tweeters. Supposedly (according to Jeff and Denver Audio Designs) this was a temporary problem ?!?!?!

Anyway count me in for Theater Talk and Margs. When?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, this thread suddenly came to life. Since the people interested all seem to be in Boulder, Ft. Collins and Longmont, maybe we should consider meeting in Longmont. I am in Ft. Collins and I know there are a couple more guys here interested.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
John --

Off the subject, have to been to "Ovation" in Ft Collins? It is the closest Anthem dealer sans Denver. Are they part of the chain? Are they good to work with? Enquiring minds, and all that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you mean an "Ovation" chain, I've actually never heard of it. I am 99% sure Ovation Audio in Ft. Collins is not part of a chain. It is a very small 1 or 2 man operation and pretty nice to work with. Very limited brand selection, but personal service and usually pretty low prices. Their hours can be weird and I swear they are sometimes closed when they are supposed to be open, so I would call before coming out. They are easy to find on the 200 block of S. College immediately past Olive St. on the East side of the street, about 1/2 block past Perkins (the second one. You will pass another about 3 miles earlier). College is hwy. 287, so you can just take that right from Longmont. Probably a better choice than going to Denver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah, Jeff.

As far as my Thiel tweeters, I have had a pair of CS 3.6s for nearly 10 years. I got them just a few months after they came out. You might say that I occasionally run them hard and have blown a few drivers. I wasn't aware of any tweeter problems with them. The original midranges didn't handle sufficient power due to the voice coil manufacturing limitations in the country where they used to be made (Sweden? Norway?) because epoxy was illegal there. They switched the voice coil manufacturing to the US, and now I understand the entire driver is manufactured here.

BTW, who is Denver Audio Designs? I thought Soundings was their only dealer around here.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
OK, cool. Ovation is a chain in the midwest (I'm from Greenwood, IN). So I was wondering. I've been talking to Lynn (sp?) on the phone about the Anthem pre/pro. He seems really cool.

Jeff (can't remember his last name) used to work for Soundings but started his own store (DAD). Soundings no longer carries Thiel.

The "tweeter problem" was with the newer coaxial drivers (I have the 2.3s). They were apparently blowing regularly. The guy from Soundings (Rod) tried to talk me out of getting them, but Jeff says that the problem has gone away. Here's hoping....

Oh, and thanks for the directions!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Soundings no longer carries Thiel.
Good to hear. I lived in Connecticut when I bought them and have been profoundly unimpressed with Soundings. Hopefully DAD represents the line better than them.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Ok back to the matter of meeting. I was thinking either Left hand brewery or the Firehouse in Longmont. How does this sound? Now if we can only agree on a date. Please post when you guys will be available.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know either of them, but I'm sure they are fine. My schedule is pretty flexible. I have no life. I figure it is probably a good idea to avoid Friday and weekdays seem to be favored by others, so Monday through Thursday works for me.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Well, there is no Firehouse (I think you mean the Pumphouse) and there's no place to sit at the Left Hand Brewery (I think you mean the Left Hand Tap House). :p)

But I hate to lose sight of the Rio in Boulder, since there are no finer Margs to be had. Plus, Boulder has audio stores we could ravage visit. But I don't want to make the drive horrible from Fort Collins. Plus, if we meet in Longmont we could come to my house and watch something afterwards. Decisions...

As far as the Thiels go, Denver Audio Designs really impressed me (they must have, because they got all my money). The manager's name is Jeff Wolfe, and his number is 303-662-9402, should you ever need it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We're all within about 45 minutes of each other, so the drive isn't going to be that big a deal for anyone. I think there are probably two others here in F/C who would attend, though they haven't responded. Of course, we have a Rio here as well, since this is their home. We also have a pitiful lack of good audio stores.

I'll send an email to Dan Hitchman to see if he is interested.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested. :D
What's the latest scoop? I might be able to get another person to come who's into home theater, but that would mean a Friday or a Saturday meet since he works in the evenings Mon-Thurs. and so do I sometimes.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks