Anyone is the Denver, Co area interested in a HT Meet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witko, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

I live in Longmont and was wondering if there are any members here in the Denver Co area that would like to set up some meets to show off our home theaters?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Hi Mike!
    From my description you can see I'm from Fort Collins. I've been to two "Mile High Maniacs" Colorado meets before. They were both cool and informative.
    The two times I joined the get togethers we all went on a tour of Clark Synthesis Tactile Transducers in Denver, had lunches at a fancy Japanese buffet in Cherry Creek and an interesting Italian restaurant, went window shopping at a few area home theater stores, and then moseyed back to our hosts' houses to check out their various home theater setups and watch some flicks (and sat around discussing whatever).
    So, as you can see if carefully planned and orchestrated they can be a lot of fun and you get to meet a group of friendly home theater "nuts" (I should say "enthusiasts") with the same passion for this hobby as you or I.
    I'd be up for another one. Hopefully for this meet I can find some time to tag along. I had to miss the last one.
    Too bad there isn't anything really interesting that is home theater related in Fort Collins, or I'd be happy to host something (that is if I ever get my setup hooked together again; been doing some water damage repair-- drat the luck!!). Denver's the place to party.
    Anybody with a really, really super-deluxe dedicated front projection home theater room feel like hosting a meet? I'm not trying to be a snob, but I've never been able to see one in action (mine's in my cramped living room-- not an ideal arrangement and I only have a 1.33:1 RPTV).
    Dan

3. Mike Witko

Sounds like get togethers can be a lot of fun and very informative also. I would love to see someones dedicated front project theater. Not much happens in longmont. I got an ok system but I just have a 16x9 rear project 46 inch mits TV. It is perfect for the size of room that I have. I also have a Star Wars Pinball Machine and A pool table. So if people are interested in a get together that is just not Home Theater I got a good place to meet. I ordered a SVS 20-39CS sub yesterday and once I get it I know I will be dying to show it off. If anyone is up for a demo just let me know.
    Mike
    ------------------
    Michael Witko
    Let's meet sometime. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000247.html
    email: [email protected]

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Hi Mike....
    Hi again Dan [​IMG]
    Well there hasn't been a meet in quite a while, and it's probably time to schedule another one.
    I think I'm probably next in line to host, so let's put out the word and see what happens. Second week in August or later would be best.
    There have been several major system upgrades since the HTF members last stopped by. Two new subs and main speaker prototypes to hear. All the power amps in both systems have been replaced with multiple Aragon 8008's, there's a new 16X9 "high power" screen for the Sony 400Q and HTPC, plus a Sony 777ES SACD player.

5. Mike Witko

Sounds great. Second weekend in August is great for me. I can't wait to see your system. Here are the specs on Mine.
    TV Mitsubishi WT-46807
    Reciever: Denon AVR 1700
    DVD: JVC XV-D723
    Center Channel: KLH Platinum series 525 CE
    Mains: Acoustic Studio Monitor Series 3311
    Rears: Definitive Technology BP2x
    Sub: Soon to SVS 20-39CS currently Ultimate Electronics space holder.
    That is it. I have spent quit a bit this year on upgrades. Bought the TV, the DVD Player, the Rears, and the sub which is on its way.
    Lets work on that second week of August. I can't wait to meet some others in this area with the same interests in this hobby.
    MIke

6. Dan Hitchman

Howdy Thomas! Long time no see! [​IMG] I finally got a Samson amp for the sonotube sub you helped me build (thanks to a very good birthday). I think I might have to take some of that stuffing out since it's sounding a bit on the muffled side. Too bad I wasn't able to bring it back to your place for fine tuning.
    Mike, as you can probably tell I've been to Thomas's house. He's got a very impressive line up of home built speakers... and that sub in the floor! My God! Have some ear plugs handy. [​IMG]
    Hope we can get the ball rolling.
    I think I can swing the August time table.
    Dan

7. Mike Witko

Earplugs. I don't need no stinkin' earplugs! [​IMG]
    Well I guess we should start looking at setting a date and making this official and then putting the word out. I just got notification that my SVS sub shipped. I hope I get it this weekend. Just in time for Die Hard. My neighbors are going to be worried that an earthquake has hit when I turn this thing up.
    HAHAHAAHA (Evil Laugh of Home Theater Fanatic)
    Mike
    ------------------
    Michael Witko
    Let's meet sometime. Denver, Co Home Theater Meet
    email: [email protected]

8. Dan Hitchman

Mike,
    No ear plugs?? Brave words. [​IMG] Unless Thomas has changed something, the sub in question was comprised of at least twelve 12" drivers and the whole basement acted like the box!
    I sent the word out to three people I know who might be interested. ThomasW would know two of them: one very well, and the other a little bit... Joey Millison (he's been to the meets in the past) and Evan Bynum.
    Hopefully, they'd all be up for it. They may post something themselves if they are, or I'll post after I hear back from them.
    Dan

9. Mike Witko

Sounds great. It should be fun to hang out and talk HT. I guess soon we will have to commit on a date. Anytime in August is good for me.

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

quote: Earplugs. I don't need no stinkin' earplugs! [/quote]
    Well....... you might want to checkout my homepage. You know it's the icon of the little house with the green door located just above above this post. [​IMG]
    Dan
    Evan has to learn to smile if he comes......

11. PeteG

PeteG Agent

Hey Gang, I'm up for a HT meet. Thomas's place would be great, give me a chance to hear his DIY whispers and check out some other DIY projects going on.
    In my hometheater, I've added a new Denon AV5800. Which made a huge difference with my speakers brightness.
    Mike, you won't need ear plugs, Thomas's subs is one of the best sounding low end systems you will hear. Unless of course he turns it up and starts shaking the windows. [​IMG]
    Thomas can post or e-mail a day & time.
    -Pete
    ------------------
    DVD Profiler

12. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Hi Pete
    Longtime no see [​IMG]
    I'd say target Saturday August 18th in the early PM if my place is the only destination. I can't blackout the HT in the daytime. So we can do a tour/listening/etc, then checkout a movie as the sunsets.
    Actually there are three new subs, one a 4 Shiva IB in the room with the Whispers, a Stryke cube, and I'll have finished an isobaric configuration with dual Shivas in the small Adire "Rava" box. Also there is also a prototype baffle for the Swan Dul'cet model 2 clone that we are testing.

13. Mike Witko

I will set that evening aside. I can't wait to check out your system and see some of the custom built speakers that are mentioned on your site. I get my SVS sub tomorrow. After setup and calibration it will be time to see what this thing can truly do. It going to be an awsome weekend.

14. Dan Hitchman

So, what's the hot scoop so far?
    Any firm date? How many do we have so far?
    I've been kinda out of the loop for a while and just wanted to get the latest.
    Might be starting a new job and they'll wanna know what days I previously had scheduled plans.
    Thanks!
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 02, 2001 at 01:54 AM]

15. PeteG

PeteG Agent

Putting this back on top, to see who we have coming. Look’s like it’s
    still set for Aug 18.
    Thomas, I have a growning SACD collection so if your interested I can
    bring some down.
    Any one check out the Great sounding Eagles concert saturday. Ha,
    atleast the fireworks were great.
    ------------------
    DVD Profiler

16. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Gees I forgot all about it until Joey called today......
    Sure it's still on for Saturday the 18th starting after 2:00PM
    To find where I'm located just go to http://www.mapquest.com
    And sure bring all the SACD's you want......
    Oh BTW, I just finished a new medium sized ported sub using a very famous 15" woofer......Most of a photo documented article will be posted to the http://www.klone-audio.com
    [Edited last by ThomasW on August 13, 2001 at 08:45 PM]

17. Mike Witko

I am really bummed. I am not going to be able to make the meet. I feel bad because I started this thread and I am not going to be able to make it. I have to attend a wedding for a friend on Saturday in Nebraska. Hope everyone has a great time and I look forward to the next meet.

18. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Did this ever happen? I missed it again if it did. Today is the first time in a month I have even checked in here.
    Dan H. If a meet comes up again, would you send me an e-mail? I could maybe do one here, but right now I have a blown tweeter (you're probably not surprised) and I still haven't called Thiel for a replacement. I figure I need to get two to keep things properly matched. Given enough time, I might possibly have a new HDTV and even a new SVS SS model sub in place of the Velodyne. I know the system will still be too bright for most people's taste, but I'm the one paying for the stuff and I like how it sounds.
    One thing I was tossing around is an outdoor movie ala Scooter. I have the audio equipment and a friend has a projector, which isn't outstanding, but should be good enough for a fun evening. I think the main obstacle is building a usable screen and just making the time to put the whole event together.

19. Tom S

Tom S Agent

Gentlemen,
    I was a host to one of those aforementioned htf meets. I have had other priorities than ht lately and have not been on the forum. I have remodeled my ht and will post pics come october. Sorry I missed this one. Please keep me informed of any new ones on the horizom (email link in header)
    Tom

20. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Anyone interested in a get together during the Spring or Summer of 2002?

I don't know if the one last year ever happened.