What's new

Anyone is the Denver, Co area interested in a HT Meet? (1 Viewer)

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. Here is what I have so far. I think the place to meet is the Rio in Boulder. I might even give Listen Up a call and see if they could set something up for us to demo some equipment afterwards. Even if they can't it would be fun to go over there after a couple of Margs and check out the stock. Right now I am thinking that we should do this the week of the 20th-26th of May (The week after Star Wars). This would give us something to discuss on top of Home Theater. We can figure out if George Lucas saved the series or he just kept going down the wrong path that he started with Episode I.

Everybody reply with times they can do it during the week of May 20th-26th and I will work on setting a date.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pretty much any day works for me. I think we should avoid Friday since it is probably standing room only and very loud at the Rio. I realize this probably won't work for others, but it might help if we meet before it gets too late, probably before 5:30, so we have time to down a few and go to Listen Up.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Anytime for me. I agree that Friday is a pretty crowded Rio day, but I don't want to exclude anyone.

They open at 5:00, and we can sit in the bar. We can make a lame sign that says "HTF" we can find each other. Listen Up would be fun.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Ok let me know if this works for everyone otherwise I will schedule it for another time. I am looking at meeting on Wednesday May 22nd at the Rio in Boulder at 5:30 PM. I will create a Sign that says Home Theater Forum and place it on the table. I will also try to give Listen Up a call once I have confirmation on how many can make it and try to schedule a listing in thier showroom. Please reply and let me know if this works. If not enough people can make we will have to try another time. I would like to get the replies by this weekend so that I can have time to schedule something with Listen Up.

Thanks

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Ok we are going to meet at the Rio in Boulder on Wednesday May 22nd at 5:30 PM. I am going to call Listen Up to let them know that we are going to be there afterwards. Please let everyone know. I will try to get us a table and make a sign saying Home Theater Forum. See ya then.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to say that it's a bummer you guys are having it next weekend. I'm not a native (L.A. resident) but have tons of relatives in Littleton / Denver area. Was just there Wed-Sun (just got back last night) for my grandparents 50th anniversary. Beautiful city. Would have loved to meet some HTF folks. Maybe next time. :)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Carlo -

We'll definitely do it again. Mark this thread to inform you of updates. I would suggest that we use this thread for future meets as well.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I just checked with Listen Up and they close at 7 PM on weekdays. Well I guess the idea is to meet and talk home theater. If we are capable after the margaritas we can always run over to Soundtrack.

See you guys next week.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on being there between 5 and 5:15 tomorrow. I hope to see everyone there sometime between 5:30 and 7:00. We will have a sign on the table saying Home Theater Forum Meet.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Just reminder. We are meeting at the Rio in Boulder at 5:30 tomorrow Wednesday May 22nd.

Hope to see ya there!!

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Well, thank goodness Marc Rochkind showed! Otherwise it was just me and Mike Witko. John, Dan, where were ya???

We gotta do this again. Marc, it was great to meet you and your daughter! Had a great time.

You other guys... your turn to organize something!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry guys. Life intruding on fun.

FWIW, I'm hoping to put together an outdoor movie sometime this summer. I can't guarantee the video presentation will be outstanding, but I'll set up surround sound and try to make a go of it. I'll let everyone know if I can get it going.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Nice Meeting you Marc. That was fun we definitely need to try to get everyone together again. John the outdoor movie idea sounds great. Just let me know and I will be there.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe some of you can give some suggestions on the logistics of doing my outdoor movies. My main obstacle is the screen. I want to do something usable, cheap and that can be collapsable to a reasonable size. The big advantage is that my back yard is reasonable sized for a pretty large group and I also have a clothes line that is probably the best way to set up the screen.

Here's the scenario. The clothes line is the type with two "T"shaped metal posts with four lines stretched between them. I can easily remove the lines in a couple minutes and from that point I was thinking of strapping a couple 2x4s to them vertically so they reach a height of probably 9 or 10 feet at the top. Then I figured I would get a sheet of canvas, or more likely heavy muslin, bleach it thoroughly and wrap the left and right sides around 2x2s which could then have eyelets attached to them as well as to the 2x4s and I could use wire to then stretch the muslin out between the posts. I may also need to put a 2x2 across the top with the muslin temporarily attached to it with velcro or something to be absolutely sure it doesn't start drooping and getting stretched out.

The projector I have available is a presentation LCD, so I don't think the picture will be outstanding, but should be plenty good for a fun time. Speakers will be what I put together, which is Klipsch Fortes for the front, and whatever is most logical from my other leftovers for center and surround. At least the Klipsch are sensitive and play fairly loud.

I'm curious if Friday or Saturday is more convenient for most people. If I do set this up, I will probably do it a few times to make it worth the trouble.

So, any suggestions are welcome.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
The screen idea sounds great to me. I think the key would be just making sure that you can use it multiple times since it seems like it will take a lot of time and effort. Canvas should work great for this. I am up for either Friday or Saturday but Saturday may work best because we could all meet early for a bbq and then watch the movie when it gets dark. I am always up for a movie on a nice summer night. I am up for any time in June expect for the 1st and the 22nd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks