What's new

Anyone in Sav, Ga area to help with sub box? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RHPS is the bomb...
That is the beauty of a homemade sub. You can do whatever you want with it...and if you get tired of that...redo it another way.
If my GF wouldn't throw a fit, I'd cover one of my subs in pictures from the Pirelli Calendar.
When one of my nieces went off to college, I gave her some old Nikko components and a pair of EV speakers. Like me she is an audio junkie.
She made her own boxes for the EV, covered them in stickers from a few bands. Kept the original boxes intact in her room back at home.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Well I guess nobody will be walking away with those speakers anytime soon at least.
You won't see me painting my rifle camo anytime soon, I've painted my kevlar with some netting and it didn't turn out too bad, but wouldn't do it to my personal rifle.
I've painted a few things with spray paint (most of them have turned out decently)... The rims, font bumper, and fender covers of my truck were all painted black and the rims, kickstand, and rear sets on my bike were painted black too. If the wheels on my car weren't already black I'd pay someone to powder coat them though.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Oh I forgot to tell you guys, I went into a hifi shop today (didn't realize there was one in town). Anyway, they have tons of signs saying best prices you'll find anywhere. Saw a pair of the surrounds and center I bought and the towers that are one step below what I purchased for over $1500 vs the $560 I paid for everything. Only thing I could think is "man that really blows for the guys that just walk in here and buy stuff without doing a lick of research first".
On a side note, I think I'm going to cut out the arm rest out of my truck soon to make a new ported box for it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
mulalleybs said:
On a side note, I think I'm going to cut out the arm rest out of my truck soon to make a new ported box for it.
Like this? [VIDEO]http-~~-//youtu.be/ByBeJx50fiU[/VIDEO]
Check out his other videos. He's really good with the 'how to' type stuff.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Alright i finally hooked everything up in the same room, have the xbox, both laptops, tv, yada yada all hooked up and I must say I'm really impressed.
The sound is amazing, internet radio through the receiver is awesome, the remote that comes with the receiver is pretty nice too (i didn't realize i was using the backup remote until i read the entire manual) now I just need to buy a blu-ray player.
I'm not wanting to spend a whole lot on one, wifi isn't a must but it would be nice. 3d would be nice too since the fiancee is always asking to go watch 3d movies :rolleyes:
I was thinking the panasonic bdt 220 for 80 on amazon

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hate to be the party pooper but you should have asked in the section of the forum that covers Blu-ray players. I bought a Samsung because it had 7.1 analog outputs (my receiver doesn't do HDMI) and it was on sale. I spent about 10 minutes researching it.
I like the audio side of the hobby so I stick with those threads. Plus I'm on vacation.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Robert_J said:
I hate to be the party pooper but you should have asked in the section of the forum that covers Blu-ray players. I bought a Samsung because it had 7.1 analog outputs (my receiver doesn't do HDMI) and it was on sale. I spent about 10 minutes researching it.
I like the audio side of the hobby so I stick with those threads. Plus I'm on vacation.
Tis all good, I did make a thread in that section and ended up purchasing the 220 I referenced earlier, but I am with you about the audio side. Where are you vacationing at if you don't mind me asking?

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Hmm so I have a question, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in this building right now so I decided to test out the stereo and turn it up. I got to bout -6 db before everything suddenly shut off (the breaking for this room tripped.) So does that mean I need to wire up the amp in a separate room than the receiver so it doesn't draw too much power? I'd really like to see how loud it can actually go. :D
Also if i have all the speakers set to 0db or less, the receiver can't push enough power to mess them up correct?
And while we're on the topic of messing up speakers, how can i tell if i'm putting too much power to the sub? will the clip lights start going off? Right now I still have the gain set to 20db on both coils and on the avr i have the bass tone set to +6 and on channel level to +12 db and the sw level to +15 db.................what can I say I like bass. When I used the mic setup it set the channel level to -1.5 db, do you think I should have left it at that?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The typical "circuit" (with an actual unknown number of outlets) is 20amp. Just because you "move" the power cord to another room, does not mean you changed circuits. You need to look at the circuit breaker to determine where the circuits really go.
A quick method to see if an outlet is on a different circuit is to plug a lamp in where you are...then pick another room and connect a vacuum. Vacuums(unless you have a really weenie one) are typically an 8amp start. 8amp makes lights dim a bit. Keep moving the cord around till you find one where the lights don't blink.
And you can set the "gains" how you wish. The one the receiver chooses is only "accurate to baseline". How many of us like the "baseline selection the receiver makes"??? Show of hands...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
i have the bass tone set to +6
You just added a 6db peak (assuming a flat response) at whatever frequency the bass tone control is set to. So if it is 45hz, then you are sending 4 times the power to that one frequency compared to the rest. If you add the BFD, you will do everything possible to not boost any frequency. The proper setup is to only cut the peaks down. If there is a true null, you can't boost it away.
When I used the mic setup it set the channel level to -1.5 db, do you think I should have left it at that?
I boost my level 3db from where MCACC sets it. Most of us like a little more bass. On the other hand, at your levels, you will get thunderous bass watching the evening news.
If your music doesn't have enough bass, then it is probably the recording. Compressed music removes audio signals that the compression algorithm deems unnecessary. That's why all of my CDs are ripped with WMA lossless. I do compromise when converting it for my cars. I compress it to WMA 320. I can still hear compression artifacts but it does very little to the bass compared to the original. iTunes downloads are just compressed too much for me. It's like they squeeze the life out of the recording.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Robert_J said:
You just added a 6db peak (assuming a flat response) at whatever frequency the bass tone control is set to. So if it is 45hz, then you are sending 4 times the power to that one frequency compared to the rest. If you add the BFD, you will do everything possible to not boost any frequency. The proper setup is to only cut the peaks down. If there is a true null, you can't boost it away.
I boost my level 3db from where MCACC sets it. Most of us like a little more bass. On the other hand, at your levels, you will get thunderous bass watching the evening news.
If your music doesn't have enough bass, then it is probably the recording. Compressed music removes audio signals that the compression algorithm deems unnecessary. That's why all of my CDs are ripped with WMA lossless. I do compromise when converting it for my cars. I compress it to WMA 320. I can still hear compression artifacts but it does very little to the bass compared to the original. iTunes downloads are just compressed too much for me. It's like they squeeze the life out of the recording.
So all your music is taken off cds by the wma lossless program? then stored onto what? I guess I need to start buying cds again instead of downloading illegally

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaking of watching the evening news...Our local weather girls(on ALL the channels) are hot. Especially one of the ones on the Peacock network....
I've met one of them a couple times. We have mutual friends as I used to be in the "hardware end" of a couple television stations...
A bunch of us were at dinner once and I quipped(where there were a few that could hear it)...
"You know, every time you are on my TV, there is a certain soundtrack I start playing"...
For the record my girlfriend laughed her heinie off. She, unwittingly, added to it by saying...
"How come I don't hear it when she's on?"...
:D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
mulalleybs said:
So all your music is taken off cds by the wma lossless program? then stored onto what? I guess I need to start buying cds again instead of downloading illegally
Yes. I use Easy CD Digital Audio Extractor. Fully licensed pro version with lifetime updates. I rip to WMA lossless and save it in the My Music folder under My Documents. My Documents is backed up to a NAS drive. ECDDAE is also a conversion program and I do batch conversions from lossless to WMA 320 for my car and streaming to my Roku. This version of the music is also stored on the NAS in a different folder that is available to the media server portion of my ZyXEL NAS box. I use the dual drive model with a pair of 2TB drives in it.
I've downloaded in the past to sample a CD before buying it but I've never kept anything I downloaded illegally. NIN did offer a better than CD quality download of one of their albums and I did keep that one. I can't tell the difference between the 44.1khz sampling rate of the CD and the 48khz sampling rate of the download. After downloading, I went and bought the CD to compare.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Since were on a similar subject, the sound/video quality of streaming movies on say netflix will be at a much lower quality than that of a actual dvd much less a blu ray correct?
I've noticed there is hardly any sound at all from the surrounds while watching netflix

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
I had set it to dolby d+ PL II X Cinema. What do you think sounds best for multi channel music? I had been using 7 ch stereo, then for games I had it on a dolby PL II x game, but once i switched it to the pl II x cinema for netflix I can't figure out how to get it back to the game mode. ...And I thought I had it all figured out. :rolleyes:
Ahh I had it on auto surround mode which was making it so I couldn't switch to the game mode.
Edit again: For whatever reason on V. Aux (my laptop) I can go to the game mode, but I cannot choose it on the VCR (xbox360). :confused: I guess its not really that big of a deal.
And I can't use the dynamic eq/dynamic volume functions because it says I need to run the audyssey auto set up, even though I've already done that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That's Denon for ya...
Anytime I have a client that can't figure out what is up with their AVR...
"You have a Denon, right?"
http://batpigworld.com/

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
I'm not finished reading through the guide yet, but I saw this which interests me:
TRIGGER OUT: This section (only available on "CI" models with 12V trigger output) allows you to specify which zone and which input will trigger the 12V trigger output. This is generally only used with custom installations, or for automatically turning on an external amplifier or lowering a projector screen; if you don't know what it is, you probably won't ever use it.
Only problem is it doesn't say how to configure it so that I can use it to turn on my amp automatically. If one of you guys could explain how to do that, that would be pretty sweet.
Is there a way to set this up so they are on 2 different power sources (because of the breaker tripping yesterday) but still be able to have the avr turn off the amp? I would guess probably not.
Also I ran the audyssey test again and (because I only did 1 position last time and I did 3 this time because the guide recommended it) and it has my center channel set up as large, should I change that to small?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks