What's new

Anyone here purchase a used CRT projector? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen numerous CRT projectors sold on Ebay and other places within an average range of around $1000-$2000. What type of quality could I expect to from a used CRT for around $2000? Are there any specifications I should look for? Any minimum brightness or scan frequency? Has anyone purchased a used CRT? I find it odd that many of these projectors that are going for around $2000 have retail prices around $20,000.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
A good used CRT projector with CRTs that have no phosphor burn will yield the best possible image that can currently be achieved in a home theater environment. Proper setup will require a steep learning curve and complete control of ambient light is a must. Stay away from Barco projectors that were made prior to 1995. They had severe power supply problems. Projectors from NEC will yield the sharpest image with the most accurate color but the NECs are finicky to setup. Sony, Barco, Electrohome and NECs all made projectors that will do an excellent job. I'd scout out a deal from a reputable daeler before I'd buy a used CRT projector on EBay. Remember, you'll need a screen and at least a line doubler to achieve the best possible image. Stay away from "video only" (15khz) projectors and look for a CRT projector with a horizontal scan frequency range to at least 50khz. These projectors will all project 720p (although they may not fully resolve the resolution). Good luck.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I second that. DO NOT buy from Ebay unless you can physically check the projector and pick it up yourself (of course, you also have to know what to look for). The best thing you can do is look for Curt Palme on the AVS Forum. He specializes in selling used CRT projectors. I bought an Electrohome Marquee 8000 (a $23,000 projector) for $2500 from him and couldn't be happier with my 92" picture! Now that's what a home theater is supposed to look like!
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I've been hunting down a worthwhile affordable lcd project and started thinking maybe CRT is the way I'll go as well. Does anyone know if there is a CRT projector in existence that one person can carry and that can be transported in a car vs truck? Seems to me they are all like 150 lbs.

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Eric they are as heavy but not bulkier than an RPTV. You wouldn't bring an RPTV in a car now would you? Delivery and handling of such Home Theater Equipment needs more care than is required for light presentation projectors.
If you had a large sedan with ample room in the trunk, you could fit one. Make sure though to provide ample protection. It's best to transport it in a hard case. Afterall it's a one time deal .. just like getting a RPTV delivered.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I wouldn't go that far, John. My Marquee weighs 150 lbs. and the biggest of the 9" CRT's (like the Sony G90) are about 220 lbs. That's still a lot less than a typical RPTV (300+ lbs.).
Eric, no, you can't carry a CRT by yourself. The smallest ones (like the ECP-4000 I used to have) come around 100-120 lbs. You can however, fit them in your car (I did) with relative safety (of course that also depends on what car, but I digress).
Please don't go over to the lamp side (LCD, DLP, DILA). If you really care about picture quality, CRT is the way to go. Not to mention there are some awesome deals on used CRT's right now. Where else can you get a $23,000 projector with 75% of its tube life left, for $2,500?
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C
[Edited last by VicRuiz on August 02, 2001 at 12:45 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You can always buy mine
wink.gif

Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks