What's new

Anyone hear from Mike Knapp anymore? (1 Viewer)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I still keep in touch with Robert George (Obi) on occasion but I have to admit I have lost all contact with Mike.
Anyone know how he is doing?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I haven't kept up since he closed down Home Theater Talk a long, long time ago. He still actively posts on Home Theater Lounge which is kind of where some folks went after HTT shut down.
- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Chris Maynard /t/324995/anyone-hear-from-mike-knapp-anymore#post_3998261
I still keep in touch with Robert George (Obi) on occasion but I have to admit I have lost all contact with Mike.
Anyone know how he is doing?
Chris,

Like you, Obi and Mike came up in my discussion with Ron. Obi does post here every now and then. As to Mike, I think Ron mentioned he talks with him every now and then.

Crawdaddy

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
yeah - Turkey Knapp was a tradition. I seem to recall a pretty cool pumpkin as well - did that make an appearance and did I miss it?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Recognize the name, but don't recall seeing him posting recently. He could still be here. Don't know the stats, but it seems like a fairly small group of maybe 40-50 people who post somewhat regularly and maybe I just haven't noticed him.
This is a great forum, with many people, including me who have been here for ten or more years. With most forums, people don't stay around nearly as long. We're still fairly anonymous so hard to stay in touch with people.
People come and go, maybe he has just moved on.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have not seen Mike post here for years. He posts regularly at Home Theater Lounge (as do I).

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Always cool to hear/see the old classic members brought up once in a while.
Just see your name, Steve, reminded me how I came to this site in the first place.
Well...kind of. Now that I think of it, I cant recall exactly, but I know I used to be a regular on your website (whos name escapes me now....grrr) and you must have mentioned the HTF or something.
Anyway...that was a long time ago. Makes me nostalgic for the good old days when DVDs were unknown to the common folk and we were on the verge of exciting times in home theatre.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Stan said:
People come and go, maybe he has just moved on.
Miss a lot of the old crew. Communities are tough things to try to 'manage' tho, people and their interests change constantly. No matter what you do you are going to always have the "Whatever happened to that guy" syndrome, even if there was no real drama going on behind the scenes.
Despite losing some great voices over the years I think HTF gets the balance right in keeping it moving forward, providing a friendly relaxed atmosphere, even with a few nuts sprinkled in...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just see your name, Steve, reminded me how I came to this site in the first place.
Well...kind of. Now that I think of it, I cant recall exactly, but I know I used to be a regular on your website (whos name escapes me now....grrr) and you must have mentioned the HTF or something.
Anyway...that was a long time ago. Makes me nostalgic for the good old days when DVDs were unknown to the common folk and we were on the verge of exciting times in home theatre.
Yep, that would be Steve's DVD Resource, which was also my gateway to the HTF.
Just writing those words kind of brings back some of the old memories of HTF and Home Theater in general; Wookie Groomer, DIVX and the insider 'trillium 9', flat vs. 16x9 enhanced debates, DTS vs. Dolby, etc., etc.
- Walter.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Walter Kittel said:
Yep, that would be Steve's DVD Resource, which was also my gateway to the HTF.
Just writing those words kind of brings back some of the old memories of HTF and Home Theater in general; Wookie Groomer, DIVX and the insider 'trillium 9', flat vs. 16x9 enhanced debates, DTS vs. Dolby, etc., etc.
- Walter.
My Charmin vs Quilted Northern debate. :D

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Chris.
I have not heard from Knapper for a few years now (maybe 4-5?).
I keep in touch with Obi and see him every time I get to the Pan Handle. I will be there again in December. Obi is doing well and like a Pig in shit doing installation and sales work at a HT place.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/324995/anyone-hear-from-mike-knapp-anymore#post_3998825
I have no idea how I first discovered this site.
Gettin' old. . .
OT - I remember exactly how I did. It was shortly after 9/11 and I was hanging out at the old "HomeTheaterSpot" and Dennis Nichols showed up and gave me a link to the "temporary blow off steam forum" that Ron had graciously provided to the HTF members to talk about current events and things that are normally not allowed. It was pretty amazing. I joined and have been hanging around ever since.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gregg Loewen said:
hi Chris.
I have not heard from Knapper for a few years now (maybe 4-5?).
I keep in touch with Obi and see him every time I get to the Pan Handle. I will be there again in December. Obi is doing well and like a Pig in shit doing installation and sales work at a HT place.
Speaking of you getting to Florida, when are we gonna see your pretty face around these parts again? :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Scott McGillivray said:
Thanks, Scott. I ran (and still have the domain to) dvdresource.com. If you go to the Wayback Machine (archive.org) you can still look up the old site. I bet if we looked hard enough, we could find the Turkey Knapp at HTF.
After I folded the DVD Resource Forum, my forum links went directly to HTF. I figured, why do something myself when Ron and Parker had done it right and definitively.
I have not been doing much with websites (I spend far too much time on Facebook for that) but I still occasionally update http://hdtvresource.com .

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Haven't spoken with Mike for several years, last time was when I visited Orlando. About the two forums.

Recently, I have been in Tampa twice, funny enough, but on a difficult schedule (leaving a ship early in the morning and speeding to the airport to catch the proper plane), so I didn't even bother to try and reach Mike.

People go different ways, and the ways aren't always totally compatible. That's a pity, but somehow you keep thinking about them, as friends. For me this is the case with Mike.

I visited Mike's HTT regularly, but I wasn't a daily poster. Part of that stemmed from the fact that I'm still a moderator here.
And yes, Steve's DVD Resource forum was one of my "regulars" too. It must have been in the same time we read the DivX Lover's forum (a big and very funny joke) and The Big Picture.

I came here through a link on the site of Digital Eyes.

(And Chris, do you remember Jeremy L.? Was that on DVDFile or DVDTalk?)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks