What's new

Anyone Have Energy Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Do you like them? Build quality? Sound performance?
I'm looking at the C-3's for the rears in a 7.1 system.
Very good review here turned me on to them:
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm
(Been waffling between Def Tech, Acoustic Energy, and B&W. Finally settled on the Energy's. I like the connection to the NRC, and they are built by the same "big" company, API, that does Mirage and Athena.)
Know a good place online to get them?
Thanks!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have the C-1 for L/R channel speakers in a small stereo sytem in my den. Excellent sound quality and build.
Check out Good Guys' website at www.goodguys.com. Order from the website and pay no sale tax and no shipping.

Steve Goolsby

Auditioning
Kevin,
Unless I'm mistaken, the "Hooked on Tronics" people are not an authorized Energy dealer, so you may not get a warranty from them.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
They do have that caveat for some of the brands they carry. But they say they themselves cover any components like that with a 90-day warranty.

I almost went with the Good Guys: they currently have free shipping and no sales tax, but they also had a 10% thing that expired the 23rd. Jusy missed it.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I used to have the Take5's, and for what they were, they were pretty nice. I know it isn't the speaker set you are looking at, but those were atleast worth their money to me at the time.
Marc at www.audioshop.on.ca had some really good deals on Energy...though because of his REALLY low pricing, big stores complained and energy laid the smack down on marc. I am not sure if he can sell them outside the store anymore, let alone make his pricing public on his website.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I have the older Energy e:XL series in my home-theater system and a pair of e:XL floorstanders in my second stereo system. For what I paid, I feel I got excellent speakers. I auditioned the Connoisseur series floorstanders at a local dealer a few months ago and was impressed with them for the money. I compared the C-5 directly to the e:XL 25 floorstander I have in the second system and thought the C-5 was a little better. The C-5 sounded a bit more refined.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Thanks all!
I actually took a chance and stopped by the Good Guys today. The dude was cool (unlike most HT salesmen). He was all set to get some music CDs for me to listen to, when I told him that I already knew that I wanted them. I said, we just need to talk about price. He asked what did I want to pay, and I said $400. (10% more than the cheapest non-dealer price on the web I found.) He rung it right up. I asked later, what if I had said $350? He smiled and said he couldn't have gone that low.
I'll be back to buy from him again. :) He said they'd have the new Yamaha uni-player in soon, and he he'd give me the Monster balanced power unit, the HTPS-7000 for $200 [edited] off list. [Maybe that's not that great a deal after all! For some reason he had list at $1400, when it is really $1300.]
Man, why can't all HT salespeople be that cool?
A sale, even with just a little profit, is better than no sale at all...

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Do you like them? Build quality? Sound performance?
I had the Take-5 system for a couple of years. I was never all that happy with them, particularly the center channel - I can't tell you how many times I've said or heard, "Huh, what did s/he say?". The high end speakers should be better, but I'd avoid the small stuff.

- Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks