What's new

anyone ever made a sealed sonosub??? (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,

I'm going to build my sub soon I hope (i've been wiating about 5 months! ). I was just thinking over the construction detials of the sealed box. I'm thinking it might be a bit to hard to do a 230L box. I would have to cut out 18 4" holes and cut all the boards to the exact size and glue and clamp everything down. I'm also thinking about makeing a vented sonosub for movies. It would be kinda hard to fit a huge sealed sub in the same corner as a sonosub. So would it be a very good idea to make a 230L sealed sonotube for music. Then make a 230L vented sonosub for movies. I would have them on a speaker switch or something. Tell me what you Think.

Ryan

P.S. does sonosubs sound much diffrent then regular boxes made from MDF?

A

Anthony_Gomez

Sure you can!
Thomas and myseld both have dual sub sealed 1503's. Here is a picture of Thomas's. Mine is a smaller volume version of this.
TubZilla.jpg

If you plan things right, you could use a ported sono sub and plug the port for a sealed responce. If the plugged Q is aroung .5-.6, you are set. They make removable plugs for plumbers that use a compression fitting to hold the plug.
here is an example of a BPD1503 "Tuned Trash" sub. 3 ports for three tunnings....but in your case, you can use one port and plug for sealed.
Image037.jpg

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
does sonosubs sound much diffrent then regular boxes made from MDF?
They could potentially sound much better (that is, less sound from the enclosure itself) if the MDF enclosure is not very well braced/constructed. The very shape of sonotube affords it certain properties which make it very useful for this application.

Anthony, that thing is too cool for words.

Ryan T

Second Unit
If I did make a sealed sonosub how would I connect the endcaps to the sonotube? Also how long do the legs have to be? Is there some website I can go to that has detailed instructions on building and finishing Sunosubs? Thanks

Ryan

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Here's a little newer shot of "Tube-Zilla"
Tube-Zilla1.jpg

The endcaps are glued in with Siliconized acrylic caulk. Tacked in with a brad nailer while the caulk dries. Legs are 4" long. Tube is 20" diameter 33.5" total tube length. This is 2-1503's in a 154L gross enclosure. Should be tuned slightly lower than a "Q" of 0.577.
It will be a while before I have the time to detail the construction on the website. I did take lots of pics but they aren't compressed/cropped or uploaded yet.
As far as info on making tube subs go to the main DIY/Advanced page, you'll see a red link on the left side of the page to TerryC's website that contains tons of links.
Or you can simply click HERE

A

Anthony_Gomez

Note to self: Whenever I decide to get up off of my lazy @$$, do not make a sock that is grey=)

On my sonosub, I have it so that the top and bottom end caps are removable. The ends are countersunk 3/5ths of the way though for the legs. I drill a hole in the legs for a theaded insert. the bolt (which I am searching for an image) has a 1/4" shaft that meets flush to a heat that is about 3/4" diameter and 3/16" thick. you screw it in with an allen wrench.

damn..I need to invest in a digital camara!

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Thomas,
That turned out really nice!
Anthony,
If you take it outside to take pictures, don't leave it unattended if it's trash day! :)
Cool idea!
Pete

A

Anthony_Gomez

Pete: That tuned trash was a "night before the show" project that BPD did for the bass list meeting. It was an experience to FEEL the port noise of that thing when only one port was open with 2000watts! (playing a test tone that maximized the port noise for the fun of it:D)
Also, My subwoofer looks like a 'Mini-me' version of the one Thomas posted. Mine is only 36ish" tall using a 26" length of 18"ID sonotube..but still using a pair of 1503's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks