What's new

Anyone else tired of.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Millionaire Style Gameshow Sets?
It's OLD! Do something different folks! You just don't see any quaint stuff like the Price is Right set, or uniqueness like the Hollywood Squares set anymore.
Surley I must not be the only one who feels this way.. :)

LewB

Screenwriter
My 2 cents:
There seems to be a trend in TV to quickly copy anything that is successful. One network comes up with 'millionaire' in prime time, then the other networks come up their own prime time game shows. Same thing with afternoon talk shows (Phil, Oprah, Sally, Ricki, yada). I won't go into how many 'Judge' shows there are. The networks are then puzzled why folks are running to cable TV for stuff like 'The Sopranos' and movies. Say what you want about HBO's programming, but it is based for the most part on original approaches to things.
Why are 'The Honeymooners', 'Lucy', 'Perry Mason', Twilight Zone' still popular almost 50 years later (in B&W, no less!). I believe it's because of originality. Problem with originality is that it's risky and in today's corporate America, you must first guarantee success and profits. Not take risks that may fail and therefore cost money.
OK, I feel better now :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The game shows are much cheaper to make, but I think they are shooting themselves in their own feet. We're all on cable rewatching the shows that they used to make money on, while they're trying to get viewers back. I think all of the 'networks' out there are nuts.

As we all know, if a new show doesn't make the grade, its dead meat quickly. I guess they are getting this advise from the viewers (ok, the Nielson families). They really need to change their methods of finding out who was watching what, and why, and not being so quick to jump the gun and dump a new show.

What does happen is that any new plot idea that ends up getting canned prevents (for the most part) any other new shows using that same idea. They are constantly firing writers that are too old (26 or so), and end up with young ones that barely know what they are doing.

I'm sure that all they are looking for is more money, so if a show doesn't make the cut, its canned. The viewer ends up thinking that the network was wrong, and the network tries to get that same viewer to watch a new show, and the viewer ends up thinking, - they canned my show for this? -

I've skipped all of the game shows that are out there now, and that includes Survivor, which is a game show too. I am sure that a new game show could work if they did something a little more unique. Does anybody remember "Password"?

Glenn

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
ive always hated gameshows.. any gameshows... its just boring.. Except for CElebrity Jeopardy on SNL :D
I hate al reality shows too.. i can stand MEET MY FOLKS though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks