What's new

Anyone else out there missing surround channels on FORREST GUMP? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've trouble-shot this in every way possible. Put other movies and and get surround channels fine, but FORREST GUMP leaves by rear speakers silent, even though my system shows that 5.1 is activated. And I know that surround channels are not always in use, but during the combat sequences, I put my ears literally up to the speakers and get nothing. It doesn't seem likely that just one copy would be like this - I assume they were replicated from the same source. Anyone else?

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
this has been covered in some other threads, basically this is how the film sounds naturally. This film is very front heavy with very small use of the surrounds. Don't worry about it. Hope this helps.
-Keith-

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I was all set to post the same message as Dick's. Too bad that this film makes such little use of the surrounds as that vietnam sequence after the rain stops could make for some demo quality material. I must've also missed the other treads discussing this.
..oh and yes, I too put my ears right up against my surrounds :)
Greg

Luis A

Second Unit
Gutless! Pretty much descibes the 5.1 sound on the Forrest Gump DVD.This movie doesn't need to rely on it's sound to carry it, though.
wink.gif

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dick,
I noted that "Forest Gump" was heavy on the audio on the Front Channels and missing some punch on the rears. I was encouraged to read from others in this thread that it was meant to sound that way naturally. I must say though the Transfer is Pristine.
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
On the laserdisc the Dolby Prologic track was far better than the DD. I didnt listen to the DPL track when I watched the DVD tonight so I dont know if the same holds true for the DVD.
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have not ordered this disc yet, but my VHS was always a great demo of DPL. The war screen was extremely aggressive in the surrounds. There are a couple bullets that had toppled and would wiz by into the surrounds. And the Jets that almost got Forest would definitely go into the rears. Don't tell me the 5.1 is not this way.
Wes

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Channel bleed. The surrounds were more active in the 2-channel mode because DPL is less accurate than a discrete 5.1 mix.
It was definately not channel bleed as the information was completely different. The DD was not mixed as well for the rear surrounds.
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Wes, As it has been mentioned, the surrounds are very active in all the scenes in Viet Nam. As far as DPL mode, I believe it is only available in French on the DVD.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Pro Logic mixes are often different to 5.1 versions (or at least they used to be). Of course, it's usually in favour of the 5.1 track.

Stewart Summers

Auditioning
I still have my LD, and will be getting the DVD in a few days (waiting for cdnow.com to deliver) I will compare and post my findings here.
stew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks