What's new

Anyone else here have had as much bad luck with J&R music world as I have? (1 Viewer)

Ryan DC

Agent
Hello all!

Well it all starts back with me purchasing a STR-DA4ES from J&R back in early Dec. When I first got it I noticed it had some blemishes on the front panel. I called their customer service number and told them about it and they refunded me some of my money ($25 after some haggling). Later on while this receiver was still in my possession I found a defect with the front Vid. 3 input. It would display vertical bars when I would have my PS2 connected to it and using the s-video monitor out to my tv. So I got an RA # and sent them a lengthy letter with the defective receiver stating why I am returning it and also asked for 2 requests to be made on the new receiver they would be sending me.

I asked if they could package it better since the first one they sent me had 3 sides of the sony box unprotected while inside the outer shipping carton. The 2nd one was if they could send me one with the last 4 digits higher than 5420 because anything under that range would have the supposed auto decoding bug in the DSP firmware that sony hasn't really acknowledged yet except for the 333ES and 5es version.

So after waiting for about 2 weeks for J&R to receive and look over the one I sent them to make sure it fell within their return policy I was sent the new one and got it on the 27th of Jan.

The first thing I noticed was the outer shipping box looked like hell compared to the first one I was sent. That would be mainly attributed to UPS's great service :rolleyes! But to my amazement when I picked up the box to bring it inside I noticed the Sony box inside it was rumbling around! So I opened the outer shipping container and to my disbelief they packaged it worse than the last receiver I had and also after I had mentioned in my letter to them to pack it better! They only used one inflatable air bag in that whole outer shipping carton and it had deflated while in transit! Why don't they just use good old foam peanuts instead of this unreliable air bag set up!?

I just knew the inside foam supports for the receiver are going to look like hell and I was right. It had broken two of the foam supports into separate pieces. Also to my amazement they didn't follow my second request I had made to possibly send me a receiver with a serial # higher than 5420. The first defective receiver I had the S #'s last 4 digits were 5318 and this one was S # 4240! A full 1078 units older.

So I go to unpack it and all looks well until I get it under some additional lighting and to my amazement again this receiver also has some cosmetic blemishes on the front panel too just like the other receiver. Is J&R getting these units cheaper by buying blemished stock from Sony? hmmm I'm begining to wonder and think so.

So After inspecting it I go ahead and hook up my Sony PS2 to the front Vid 3 inputs and it has the same problem as the first one I was sent. Vertical bars displayed with the graphics :frowning:. So it looks like im back at square one again and I don't really know how I should go about this differently since my letter written to them didn't seem to catch their attention. Has anyone else had such terrible luck with J&R like this? I guess I'm just gonna have to return this one also but I don't really want to pay the return shipping again that I did on the first one. Anyway I could coerce them to pay return shipping? What would you guys do in my situation? Could someone please mention another place I could possibly get this receiver at a decent price ($640 shipped)? without this bad luck!? I just want to enjoy surround sound for once in my life :frowning:

Any input you guys could share with me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Paul cbc

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

Sorry you're having such a hard time with all this. I've seen in some other threads where Sammans had this unit for $630. 1-800-444-6300. No personal experience with them though. This is a receiver I am considering myself, although your post does make me a bit wary.

Good luck:emoji_thumbsup:
paul

No problems with J&R from me. I ordered an amp from them 2 years ago, and when it arrived it had some really bad transformer hum. Called them, got an RMA, they paid for all shipping charges and sent me a replacement prior to having received the returned original.

I recently ordered a receiver from them, and had no issues. It was well packed, double boxed with 5 or 6 of those air bag thingies in it. However, I am with you on these things - why is everyone using them now? Surely the likelyhood of them deflating must be quite significant. I would much rather companies go back to using the styro stuff.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I've ordered several things from J&R without a hitch. You can always use pricegrabber.com to check the feedback on a seller before hand. That can save a lot of headaches in the long run.

PatrickKing

Auditioning
Ryan - check my thread The truth about internet e-tailing under the hardware/receivers forum. Based on the feedback I received, I am going to order the 4ES from either reliable or oade brothers. I have talked to both and they are courteous, but more importantly, authorized dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks