What's new

Anyone bought a new Ford Escape/.Mazde Tribute? (1 Viewer)

ken thompson

Second Unit
I've been hearing some good things about these. I'm thinking about getting one. Anyone have any advice?

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
They are made in Claycomo, MO, at the Ford Plant. I see dozens of them being hauled down the road each day on my way to work.

The Mazda's have a bit nicer trim package than the Fords, but otherwise, they are the same vehicle. The Mazda's were in much shorter supply when I was looking at them, but now seem to be more prevelent. Normally, the japanese vehicle will be more expensive, due to the perception of quality. However, there are some great finance programs with Ford right now.

I couldn't find the Mazda I wanted when I was looking, so I ended up with a Pontiac Aztek.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Hello Ken, I bought a 2001 Mazda Tribute DX last April, and have been totally happy with it. I should say that I really know nothing about cars. When I was doing my shopping I was looking at price, size, comfort, something to get me where I need to go (OK, so why the hell did I get an SUV - uhhh never mind :)). I had a hard time finding the low-end model (the DX) but after a good search I did, and couldn't pass on the price. The ride is similar to other cars I tested (Hyundai Sante Fe, Honda CR-V...) and all in all this seemed like the best deal for me. No problems whatsoever, nice ride, and nearly 30 mpg for my driving. I would totally recommend one. Good luck!
Chris

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Friend here at work just bought a black on black Ford Escape, very nice vehicle. It looks really sharp. We rode around in it, it certainly drives very nice. Decent back seat room though I don't know if I'd want to squeeze 3 full sized adults back there. I think he was saying that you have to pull out the headrests from the rear seats if you want to fold those seats down for extra cargo room, seemed like a bit of an inconvenience. Not sure if the Mazda model is the same way.

Andrej

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I dont have one, but I have read allot of good reviews. Most power in its class, good cargo room, seemless 4x4.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Is it primarily a Ford or Mazda platform? In particular who makes the engine and tranny? If it's Ford I would be concerned about reliability down the road, given their track record. OTOH, if it's Mazda it should last forever. :)
KJP

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I am the proud owner of a 2001 Mazda Tribute. I opted for the manual transmission (they have always lasted longer for me) and black. It's been a spectacular vehicle. Decent gas mileage but also the ability to load it up. The seats fold down very easily.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If I am not mistaken, they were recalled within a few weeks of hitting dealerships for a fuel tank issue...

ken thompson

Second Unit
Yeah, I heard about the recalls on the '01 models. They had a number of them actually. I will be looking at an '02 or '03 Mazda ES V6 with AWD leather and sunroof. I believe you can get all this for about $25K-$27K. It seems like one of the better deals out there right now on SUVs. The vehicle is a joint engineering project between Ford and Mazda but I believe the powertrain is pure Ford. Straight from the Taurus I think.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
but I believe the powertrain is pure Ford. Straight from the Taurus I think.
Not to sound like a basher but wasn't the Taurus powertrain one of the most unreliable chunks of aluminum to emerge from a Ford factory in the past 10 years? My experiences seemed to indicate so. Certainly the older Tauruses were prone to expensive transmission and engine problems, I don't know about the newer ones though, as I wouldn't touch one with a 39 1/2 foot pole now.

Why oh why don't they use a Mazda powertrain? Oh well, if you like the vehicle, make sure to get an extended warranty.

Is there a AWD version of the Escape/Tribute? If there is then at least that model's not a pure Taurus powertrain. Also a manual tranny wouldn't be coming from a Taurus either.

KJP

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This is based on the Mazda 626 not the Ford Taurus. Much like the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX300 are loosely based on the Toyota Camry platform. A little bit of research (good to do before jumping to conclusions, Kevin ;)) bears this out.
from http://www.auto.com/reviews/tony13_20000713.htm :
In this case the underpinnings owe at least some tribute to the Mazda 626 sedan. Just how much is hard to say, because both Ford and Mazda have waffled on this issue. The answer is something like this: not as much as we were first led to believe but more than the two companies are now willing to admit.
The 626 roots would explain the engine and transmisison options on the Tribute/Escape, and the 626 is a darned good car. Of course the fitment of an AWD system would be an absolute must in this class.
Ken, if you like the Tribute/Escape, take a look at Subaru Outback and Legacy models. They are in the same class, you might like them. IMO no-one builds a better AWD system than Subaru with the possible lone exception of Audi. The Outbacks are great cars.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Ok, the 626 drivetrain sounds like a smarter choice. My wife has a '94 626 and it's been a great car. I *used* to have a '94 Taurus. Guess which car is still on the road? :E

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If you put a lot of miles on your vehicle, I believe that Mazda offers a higher mileage bumper to bumper warranty. The Ford is 3 years/36,000. The Mazda is also three years, but up to 50,000 miles.
I believe the Taurus engine issues were primarily with the 12V V6 (base engine for Taurus). The V6 available in the Tribute and Escape is the 24V Valve engine. Both of them have a 3.0L displacement which can lead to confusion.
BTW, the drivetrain & vehicle platform on current Tauruses is much improved compared to the 94 MY. I own a '98 and used to own a '93. :)
Regards,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Look it up! :) It could be that the 626 and the Taurus share an engine platform. Ford and Mazda have been close for many years.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
To clear up some confusion:

The 2.0L 16V I4 engine is the same one that appears in the Ford Contour.

The 3.0L 24V V6 engine is the same one that appears in the Ford Taurus.

Important things like how the engine is integrated into the SUV versus the cars and mated with a more or less appropriate transmission and drivetrain will obviously be different.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ressurecting this old thread here to see if I can get some updated thoughts on the 2003 Mazda Tribute. I would be looking to get an ES model, with just about every option possible.
This vehicle would be for my wife, replacing a 2001 Ford Mustang, that has been giving us some problems (mostly minor stuff, but still a little bothersome) lately.
We are possibly looking to start a family soon (1-3 years?) and I think I would prefer to go ahead and get a more family friendly vehicle now, and have it completely paid off (or nearly paid off anyway) by the time we decide to have children.
Right now, Mazda has the following Rebates/incentives on the 2003 Tribute, which all seem fairly good:
$2,500 Cash to Customer Rebate
or
$500 Cash to Customer Rebate $ 2.9% APR for 60 months
or
0.00% APR for 60 months
I already have a pre-approved loan from my Bank for 4.59 % APR, but it looks like I can do better going directly w/ Mazda, so I would probably do that.
I currently have a brand new 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE that was purchased about 4-5 months ago, and I love it!
Other possible choices: Nissan Altima? or the Hyundai Santa Fe? But neither of these really appeal to us. The Altima would, but by the time we put all the options on the vehicle that we would want it basically ends up to be priced like the Maxima :)
Thanks for any and all feedback/suggestions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks