What's new

Anybody have experience with IXOS interconnects? (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I just discovered IXOS interconnects online and I was wondering if anybody here has anything good/bad/ugly to say about them. How do they compare to comparably-priced AudioQuest and Tributaries products? I'm specifically looking at using 2 sets of their middle-line component cables for 6-channel SACD connections, one of their higher-end quad-shielded component cables for an actual component video connection, and their higher-end stereo RCA-plug cables for CD. Any comments on build and sound quality?

JackS

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased a set of IXOS spade connectors and was impressed enough by their obvious quality, I decided to try a pair of their Gamma Silvers. This is another obvious quality product. The downside is even with the discount at AC4L, these wires are still fairly expensive. The neat ceramic RCA's and the wires themselves are first rate. If you don't mind spending the money, I can recommend them. As to weather they perform better than lesser wires below the cost of these, is a question that has no answer. My justification for the purchase is- I feel I've made a more than adiquate connect and you'll have to decide for yourself weather the cost is warranted.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Yohan- Maybe I should have mentioned in the above post that I repaced my HG Super Silvers with the IXOS cables. I have an outboard amp that I swapped out with, and the SS's are now used as the amp IC's. If I were forced to make a comparison between the two, I would say that the IXOS are a little warmer, although you should realize this is a very subjestive statement. I would be very happy connected either way. BTW, the HG Super Silvers can be purchase for less money than the IXOS, and are beautiful cables in their own right.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Yohan,
I use IXOS cables for my S-Video connections and am very pleased with them. I know you didn't mention anything about S-Video but I can testify to their excellent build quality and solid feel.
I do prefer these cables to an AR S-Video cable that I compared them with, the signal seemed cleaner.
I myself would have no problem using IXOS cables all around.
-Aaron

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen some Ixos ceramic RCA connectors and admit I was surprised not to see a teflon insulator around the conductor solder point. I personally like to see an insulator there. It may not make a functional use in normal circumstances, but still....

Overall, some nice looking products though.

Lex

JackS

Supporting Actor
Doug- Perhaps since the connects are ceramic thus perfect insulators themselves? Don't know, but no problem here.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the comments, folks. Keep 'em coming!

JackS,

So in your opinion IXOS cables made your system sound warmer? By warmer do you mean rolled off or mellower highs? I'm having something of a cable dilemma right now, which I guess I should address in a separate thread also. I recently upgraded my speaker wire from noname wire that was in bad shape to Tributaries SP-4. The added clarity is amazing, but I think the sound might be too bright for me now. I wonder if the IXOS interconnects might mellow out the sound a little bit without removing any fine details.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Yohan- Sorry but I have no experience with a multitude of different branded wires. Even my comment of "slightly mellower" can not be taken as fact. The SS's have been described by some as "strident" to use one adjective, but I would not agree with such statements.Perhaps the sonic qualities of cables have more to do with associated equipment than the cable themselves. If I were you, I would try the IXOS or another botique cable of moderate price based on professional and user reviews that appear to have the qualities your looking for. I personally don't have the inclination to move from cable to cable in search of sonic narvana. I beleive you could choose a cable to try, and if it didn't meet your expectations, you could return it and try somthing else. My final suggestion would be-purchase a nice cable, make the connection and move on. Heres wishing you the very best of luck in your search. Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks