What's new

Any word on the Toshiba SD-9500? Is it going to be released? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am considering an upgrade for my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player. Any player I buy would be used primarily for DVD-Audio playback. The Denon DVD-3800 interests me, but the early reports of a chroma bug have me considering other options. A few months ago, I heard that Toshiba was going to replace the SD-9200 with the SD-9500 this year. Does anyone know if the '9500 is still going to be released and if so, when? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I heard Septemberish. BTW don't be surprised if the 9500 also has the Chroma Bug. All of their current players have it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, thanks for the info. These days, I expect any progressive-scan player to have the chroma bug unless I hear otherwise. I guess Panasonic players are among the few exceptions these days. The problem is that the Panasonic players are not going to offer the audio quality I am looking for. I expect them to be like my 'A10 or worse. The 'A10 is a good player for what I paid, but I'm sure I can do better if I am willing around $1000.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Keith,
I hear ya. If the Panasonics had better DVD-Audio features, I'd choose them. Someday, I hope someone gets it right.
I am beginning to think will never see a digital interface for DVD-A/SACD. :angry:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig said:

I am beginning to think will never see a digital interface for DVD-A/SACD.
You could be right. With record labels incorporating copy protection into CDs, I can't see them going for a universal digital interface involving higher-resolution music. The Denon AVR-5803 and DVD-9000 components use a proprietary digital link that can be used with DVD-Audio discs, but it is a proprietary connection. I don't expect it to be widespread, and I certainly don't expect to see recorders based on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks