What's new

ANY NEWS ON TOMORROW'S RELEASE OF sci fi ultimate box set 2 from BEST BUY? (1 Viewer)

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i picked up the sci fi vol 2 set today at my local BB, at first it looked like there
were only 2 on the shelf, then when i reached the end of the sci fi section i saw they had about 24 in different parts of sci fi section. it looks like they used them as fillers for empty spaces.:rolleyes

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Yes Richard there was no problem as long as the address for shipping was the US. I didi not sign up to their site as a regular customer though. I have several UK customers after this set and the forthcoming horror one too. Good luck!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Peter - I tried this, and they have "Classic Sci-Fi V2 CL Bx," but with no description whatever. I don't want to order unless I know this is the sci-fi set that includes LAND UNKNOWN and DR. CYCLOPS. Can you confirm? Otherwise, how the hell are we supposed to order this? I don't live close to any BB stores. The first set was very easy to get and was well-identified on the web site. Almost seems like they're trying to hide this one!

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Well, given that it's a "Classic Sci-Fi Bx 2" and has a price of $19.99 and has the 11th September release date, I think you can be fairly sure!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Yeah, it's pretty generic and info-free (note that I specifically mentioned that in my earlier post), but, as Richard Gregory stated, given the street date, the price, the "CLASSIC SCI-FI V2" title, and the fact that it wasn't listed there prior to Friday 9/14, it's a pretty safe bet that this is the real deal.

I repeatedly checked BEST BUY's website for two weeks prior to 9/11/07, and every day after that date, and all they offered in my various title searches were several "public domain" movie collections with cover artwork, until Friday's appearance of this listing. This also applies to the UNIVERSAL HORROR: CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE Collection; 2+ weeks of nothing until Friday 9/14, then it's suddenly there, though sans info/specs.

Anyway, if you're still wary of this, wait a few days (patience is a virtue :) ). BEST BUY shipped out my SCI-FI V2 set on Sat 9/15, so it should arrive in the next few days. When it does, I'll post here what I actually got.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
finally! I bought it yesterday at the Best Buy in Westwood, across the street from UCLA. They had about 6 copies. I watched LEECH WOMAN, DR CYCLOPS and LAND UNKNOWN so far. DR CYCLOPS really impressed me. It thought for a 1940 the special effects were quite good. Better than the man in costume (T-Rex) in LAND UKNOWN. Overall...fun stuff!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I can confirm that this is indeed the box set with LAND UNKNOWN and DR. CYCLOPS. Using Classic Sci-Fi V2 CL Bx I searched bestbuy.com chose in store pickup and got the set. I looked this past week and did not see it at any of the Best Buys near me so I was surprised that it was available for in store pick up and it actually was this set.

Thanks for the information. I would never had found this set without help from this thread.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I couldn't find this set on BB until I used the search criteria the Peter supplied above, even though I provided what I thought was reasonably well written search criteria.

I read the DVD Savant's review of the set and was depressed by this comment on "The Deadly Mantis" since that's why I'm buying the set.

I bought it anyway.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
i wish we got the MONSTERS CHANNEL in the UK!!!
By the way Just got my sci fi set Best Buy Vol 2 and am enjoying the excellent transfers. Shame about Deadly Mantis though!!

Jeremy_Z

Agent
I've had Monsters HD for a few months now and anything that should be 1.33.1 is shown 1.85.1 from what i've seen. So I wouldn't go by them for proper aspect ratio.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

True, they're running WAR OF THE WORLDS 1.85:1, which is wrong, but at the same time, it's quite obvious when a 1.37 film is being incorrectly shown.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're talking the Pal version aren't you? The wires holding up the Martian machines must be pretty obvious in HD.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I just watched Mantis from the set. As a disclaimer, let me say that I haven't seen this film for probably at least 20 years, so I have no idea how good or bad this film can look. However, I thought it looked pretty good. The flaws seem to be in the source. For example, a good part of it is stock shots of jets, radar equipment, glaciers, etc. and they all look hideous. But, as soon as we see scenes shot for the film, it looks pretty sharp, with good contrast, deep blacks, stable, very few specks, etc. A few of the effects shots of the Mantis flying have weird marks like water droplets on the film, but again it seems to be on the source.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from others who've watched it from the new set.

Doug

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched Mantis and agree with you. The worst parts are the stock footage. That last time I saw this film was on VHS a few years back. This, I'm sure, is better. I watched it on a 32" Proscan. We'll be getting our HD Samsung installed this week, I wonder what it will look like on that, since it's not anamorphic? That's frustrating since it was mentioned earlier that there's a HD transfer of this movie. If I read the box correctly, the only anamorphic movies on the set are Cult of the Cobra and the Leech Woman, and they are also the only wide screen movies along with The Land Unknown.

I also noticed there aren't even chapter stops. I realize this is an inexpensive set, but can't you afford a chapter menu? Why did they have to almost throw away these movies? I would have paid $30 or more for a top-notch set with commentaries and no other extras (well anamorphic transfers would be nice). When I consider that some of the best commentaries ever, are on some old monster/horror movies (Frankenstein, Creature FTBL, It Came From Outer Space) I think they have really missed the boat here.

However, one must be grateful to get a movie on DVD (Mantis) that I've wanted for some time.

BTW, the PBS version of Dracula with Louis Jordan comes out this week and my memory of this version is that's terrific. Admittedly, I haven't seen it for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks