What's new

ANY NEWS ON TOMORROW'S RELEASE OF sci fi ultimate box set 2 from BEST BUY? (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Why is "The Deadly Mantis" 1.37:1 and not 1.85:1 like the rest. What's the correct OAR??? The LD was 1.37:1, so this could be a direct port over.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wow, guess I missed volume 1. I could never find it on Best Buy's site, and now I see it on eBay for as high as $150.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
One hour after they opened? I can't imagine that there was a rush into the store just for that.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Damn, it's as though they can get "MOST" things right, but not all. Case in point, "The Incredible Shrinking Man" from Vol.1. Finally in anamorphic but a "CRAPPY" print!!!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Finally i got mine today. I called to ask about it, sine i didnt see it yesterday. One guy who works at BB in Tulsa knows his stuff. I told him about this last month, but he knew when i called today what i was looking for. They put it on a table in the front of the store. They had about 15 copies. He told me when they are gone he probably wont be able to get more.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
In the Danbury, CT Best Buy at noon on Tuesday there were a dozen on the cart not put on the shelves yet. I grabbed one from the cart paid for it and brought it home. I have watched Cult of the Cobra and find the transfer to be very acceptable. This week I will watch the rest of the set and do not expect it to be any worse than Cobra.

The question that has perplexed me is a couple of years ago, Best Buy had a section on the MGM Midnight Movies. Now there is no section and not a one of the Midnight movies that were to be released Tuesday in the store. I found that Best Buy does not carry the number of Fox titles as they did and I am wondering if that is having an effect on the MGM films. I also did not see and FLy Collection or Lost World. But I did see a lot of Graduate.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Yes, all the latest batch of MM's as well as the Fly Collection are marked on Best Buy's website as not being in the stores, no store pickup, only order online.

It makes me wonder if the debacle of the previous Midnite releases which were going to be Best Buy only but then were not has anything to do with it. It suggests a falling out between Best Buy and MGM.

If you recall it was a bunch of new releases that were due as Best Buy exclusives (plus "selected Canadian online stores"); they appeared in the Canadian stores but failed to appear in Best Buy. They were delayed and finally released later in the USA as a generally available release.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
I guess. I based that on a lot of the releases due this week being marked as "Store Pickup - coming soon", but most of them have now changed to "not available". Suggests that either the entries were wrong, or there were a few initial copies on shelves that aren't replenished once they sell. The Midnites were always marked as that from the start.

Bit suprised that The Fly collection isn't. It;s pretty well know, the box is attractive, and it have Vincent Price in some of it.

The Midnites appear to have done well, as a lot of online stores have a number of them on backorder.

Let's hope we get some more

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just a guess but I think the problem with B&M stores not stocking them occurs because a significant number of people just order them online so they don't have to worry about all the problems that seem to accompany most horror catalog titles. Just this week, I ordered The Burning from Amazon for that reason (and when I was at Best Buy, they didn't have it in stock).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I would suggest something else. The classic sci-fi collection is a BB only release while the midnite movies are not. Perhaps BB didn't want any other competition from other horror titles. I don't see why they couldn't have had a couple of titles of each on hand. I've seen them carry even more obscure titles than these.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty obvious that the persons responsible for ordering or stocking DVDs at these chain stores are oblivious to collectors of classic film. On Tuesday, my local Fry's had only one copy of The Fly collection and The Lost World and I snapped them up and while searching for the Midnight Movies series, another shopper asked me where I found The Fly and Lost World and told him I got the last copies but to ask in case they had any in back. They didn't. The Midnite Movies were all there and I snapped them up (again, several were the only copies they had in stock). They didn't have Blueprint For Murder/Man In The Attic or Tales From The Crypt/Vault Of Horror so I went to Laser Blazer in West L.A. and they had ONE copy of Blueprint/Attic but none of the other Midnite Movies. I picked it up and asked if they didn't get any of the other Midnite Movies titles in and they said they did but they were ALL snapped up by 2:00 in the afternoon but they would be getting more in at the end of the week.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Looks like BEST BUY finally (finally!) has the exclusive SCI-FI V2 set up for order on their website, as well as the upcoming exclusive UNIVERSAL HORROR CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE set available for pre-order, though no specs, descriptions or box art listed there yet for either set, so the product pages appear very generic. Here are the links--

UNIVERSAL CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION VOL. 2:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=Movies&ks=960

(though it's on back-order at the moment)

UNIVERSAL HORROR CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=Movies&ks=960

(contains MAN-MADE MONSTER, THE BLACK CAT ('41), CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, etc)

Sure beats paying the e-scalpers.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Links don't work.

Since I missed the original, and really wanted Incredible Shrinking, do you think they'll rerelease that at some point in the future? I know they finally got around to releasing the original Scarface on its own.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Wow, I tried re-posing the links to the BB product pages, but they don't seem to last as working links for more than a minute or so. That being the case, just pop these titles in BEST BUY's product search engine, for better results:

"Classic Sci Fi V2 CL Bx"

for the just-released SCI-FI VOL. 2 set

and

"Univ Horror Classic Movie Arch B"

for the upcoming (10/2/07) UNIVERSAL HORROR - CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE set

Though listed as back-ordered when I purchased it yesterday, BEST BUY sent me an e-mail this morning telling me that my copy of SCI-FI VOL. 2 has just shipped.

Anyway, good luck!

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
i ordered from the UK to my shipper in New York and they charge my UK credit card and 3 copies of this set have shipped OK so Best Buy finally have stock!

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Interesting to know that Best Buy allow you to do that, so the only limit is that the SHIPPING address has to be in the USA? They are happy to have folks in other countries order stuff, so long as it ships to a US address then? It's OK for the billing address/card holder to be outside the USA?

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks