What's new

Any news on a Warner Chat this year? (1 Viewer)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
It's getting to be that time of year again. I hope the amount of negative feedback concerning the WB Archives on these forums hasn't made them feel like it wasn't worth it to come back.

Perhaps questions can be submitted beforehand, approved/disapproved, and sorted by subject (DVD/Blu-Ray/Archives) if that is the only way Warner would be interested.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by MLamarre

It's getting to be that time of year again. I hope the amount of negative feedback concerning the WB Archives on these forums hasn't made them feel like it wasn't worth it to come back.

Perhaps questions can be submitted beforehand, approved/disapproved, and sorted by subject (DVD/Blu-Ray/Archives) if that is the only way Warner would be interested.

Consitering they are doing a TV & Animation chat, I can't see why the Theatrical film guys wouldn't want to chat.

There's as much possitive as negative feedback on the Archives here.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by MLamarre

I agree that this would be a much better way to do it. We could just construct a big list of titles, and then the Warner staff could look down the list and say if a title is likely to be released on a regular pressed discs, Warner Archive, or not at all.

Doing in it that way they would probably mean Warner would be able to answer a lot more questions, which means everyone wins.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Why make it a chat then? They might as well just give the HTF a list of titles and call it a day if they do that.
The chat could be purely about titles NOT asked about that Warner is preparing for release.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Since 99% of their entire library will eventually be coming out on the Archive format, there will definitely be much less excitement on my part for a chat. The other 1% will spark my interest if they can state which titles will definitely make their way onto pressed discs. My one burning question would be on The Devils, but I already know what the answer will be based on previous chats.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
In past years, the WB chat has been something that I've looked forward to with great eagerness. If they schedule one this year, I would in all likelihood skip it entirely and maybe get to the wrap-up sometime in the following month. Unless, they have something interesting to say like "We've been holding out on pressed releases due to the economy, but as soon as that turns around, things we'll again be like they were". Anything other than that, will be nothing but depressing news.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I guess I'd mainly ask about Blu-rays - A Star is Born, East of Eden, Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), Raintree County.

Oh, and some more films for the archive, Oregon Passage, The Tall Stranger, A Thunder of Drums, Underwater Warrior, Torpedo Run.

I give up on Film Noir 5, someone else can ask about that.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I can give you the post chat wrap-up right now: 4 classics on Blu-ray, 1 classic on pressed DVD, 60 classics on $20 DVRs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Am I to take this to mean that over the last year the relationship between WHV and HTF has soured? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

You can take it anyway you want to, but the relationship between WHV and HTF staff hasn't changed.

Crawdaddy

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb

I can give you the post chat wrap-up right now: 4 classics on Blu-ray, 1 classic on pressed DVD, 60 classics on $20 DVRs.

That's a rather negative attitude.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow guys, what a way to entice the studio to do a chat
with us. I have to shake my head sometimes. We work
so hard to get studio involvement here and from reading
some of these posts, I can understand why it has been
a difficult process.

Nothing has changed in the Warner/HTF relationship.
That will be evident when we officially announce a chat
with their Animation and Television division in our upcoming
Newsletter.

We hope to have a chat with Warner theatrical later this
year, but understand that the studio has undergone huge
cuts over the past year and its in our best interest to hold
a chat after things settle down.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, I meant the general members who have posted some very critical comments towards WHV since the last chat, not the HTF staff itself, which I assume would have no reason to have anything but the best of relations with them.

The unfortunate reality seems, from my perspective, to have been that WHV was severely reduced in both staff and funding, and the MOD program was the only way to continue to release classic films on DVD. And while there have been some enthusiastic responses, the overall tone of reception to this program was one of disappointment, bitterness, and outright mocking. I tried to stem the tide of this sentiment, and while some of it can be helpful feedback (using progressive instead of interlace, legitimate issues with the website service), much of it has been quit hostile, so I long gave up trying to participate in that conversation.

With Sony announcing their own cut backs, the reality of the Home Video business model is quite clear for the large studios: Blu-ray and MOD DVD-Rs. Pressed DVDs are a dying breed, unless you're a recent new release theatrical film, and even then Blu-ray is pushing those to a lower and lower market share. Catalog titles simply do not get shelf space anymore unless it's The Wizard of Oz or Gone with the Wind, and that shelf space is far less than what it was 10 years ago.

I for one would love a chat with WHV, because I think they have great people working for them that are doing their best to deliver quality products, but they're simply limited with the means to do so at 2004-2006 DVD levels. My concern is that the negative air surrounding Warner since the MOD program started would lead to a less cordial chat than in past years.

LarryCar

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Carson
I'm new here and haven't seen any of these chats, but I spent most of yesterday reading these forums and educating myself, especially people discussing about the archive catalog program. It's been an experience, to say the least.

I do think there are too many negative comments about Warner Brothers in all of this, and I agree with the above person who says this is just the reality of today's market. All I can see is that Warner is simply adjusting to the grim reality of catalog sales in this economy. I'm actually thankful that at least Warners is STILL trying to deliver catalog product in the only way feasible at this time. If that is DVDR's, so what. If things were better in the economy and there were thousands upon thousands of fans of these older films clamoring for them, I'd understand. But the economy sucks, DVD sales are in the toilet except for new blockbusters, and no other studio is still putting out as much stuff as Warners. Now on DVD-R, yes, but at least this stuff is getting released, because it wouldn't otherwise and that's the brutal truth. From their site it shows they have released about 500 titles in just the past year on their catalog program. Wouldn't that amount have taken maybe 5 or more years if these were normal releases?

I also want to say that people with negative feelings seem more inclined to post and tell their feelings than happy customers. Nothing wrong with that as negative comments are just as valid, but happy customers don't always take the time to say anything. They're happy and move on. I've only bought a handful of these catalog dics so far and want to buy more when I have more money. It may not be the ideal thing in a fantasy world of perfection, but it's probably the best thing possible at this point in the dvd era and I'm thankful Warner is doing this.

So what is this chat exactly and how does it happen? I just hope they see that there are also people that really like what they are doing and that don't always chime in.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I think the risk that gets run here is that there are legitimate complaints about the Archive program and an open chat is probably the exact wrong format to attempt to address them. Unfortunately, until they are addressed it becomes the 2 ton elephant in the room.

Personally, it's all the same to me. Have a chat, don't have a chat. Pressed output is down to a trickle and they are on record as attempting to make all their titles available, mostly through the Archives. Knowing exactly what date a particular title will find it's way into the Archives is a little anti-climactic at that point since they'll all get there eventually. Pushing them to identify precisely what will be produced on pressed discs will likely turn into an exercise in frustration for all involved, and that will be what the chat devolves into.

I guess I sort of glossed over the whole Blu Ray thing. I suppose there is a healthy amount of interest in finding out when the top 500 catalog titles of all time will eventually find their way to the latest format. Maybe they should just make it a Blu-only chat and thereby bypass all the angst?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
A Blu-ray only chat would be fine. Plans for Raintree County, A Star is Born 1954 version, Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm, etc. Also 3-D movies and shorts from the 1950's in Blu-ray 3D.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I'd suggest an interview format run by HTF staff, who'd also select from pre-submitted questions from the users. That would assure a better signal-to-noise ratio and also avoid the possibility of it turning into an axe-grinding rant-fest.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RolandL

A Blu-ray only chat would be fine. Plans for Raintree County, A Star is Born 1954 version, Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm, etc. Also 3-D movies and shorts from the 1950's in Blu-ray 3D.
I'm hopeful that WHV releases a box of 1950s 3D films late this year in 3D Blu-ray format. House of Wax, Dial M for Murder and Second Chance would be no brainers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks