What's new

Any India "Bollywood" DVD's like Moulin Rouge to recommend? (1 Viewer)

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Sanjay, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I am not set up to play PAL formats. I may have to look in to seeing how much a unit would cost that does play that format.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Larry, don't forget about that bogus Metrodome version available at stores today.. It's not technically a pirate, as it was a business mistake on the part of FIrst Look...

Besides some artifacting due to re-encoding into NTSC, it's the same disc...

You don't have togo to a store, you can order it online at a site like indiaweekly.com

But, if you can get the PAL, that obviously would be better.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Larry, those DVDs you see in stock, and labeled as First Look are the "unofficial" version I wrote about above.

It's not the cut and coming soon official First Look release. it has al the songs, and the aforementioned pal-to-ntsc re-encode of metrodome's version.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Talal, Okay, I'll go back and look again. I may have assumed it was the upcoming release.

By the way, I just got through watching Fiza. That is a really good movie. Unfortunately, the dvd has several problems, mostly in the form of artifacts and several brief stops along the way. I thought there for a minute that it was going to leave me "hanging" with only 10 minutes to go. But, it started up again. Sure wish there was another label for this movie with a better transfer. The one I have is Video Sound.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you mention Fiza... coz there is a better version out. IT was made for the UK, yet it was encoded in NTSC Region 0, and wasn't allowed to be sold in the UK due to not getting certified.

This is a far superior version to Video Sound... in a nice anamorphic presentation, and excellent sound. IT is released by SPARK, and authored by DEI... So, if you can find it, this is the one to get by a WIDE margin.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Talal, thanks for the info. I'll have to look again for the DEI version of Fiza. So far, all I've seen is the one by Video Sound.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Michel, I noted that dvd listed on CDGuru and that the cover was different from the Video Sound version. I couldn't find the label on that site, however. I sent them an email earlier today and they just responded. They indicated that they carry the DEI version where possible. So, when I place the order, I think I had better make it a phone call to assure it is the DEI version. Thanks.
Note - I just confirmed that the DVD title Fiza on CDGuru.com is indeed the Spark/DEI version.;)

DaveCheung

Agent
I know that many people on this thread has mentioned these already but let me give more recommendations on the Mani Ratnam movies: Bombay and Dil Se are really great and very moving. Not only are they entertaining with good songs and storylines but they also stirred very strong emotions. (Reading news reports on the recent riots in India conjure up memories of intense scenes from Bombay...) One of these days I need to find time and watch Roja and Lagaan, which I haven't got time to watch though I got it 2 months ago.
A non-musical (it got songs but they are put in there by the producers for commericial reasons at the last minute and have no need for) that is a must-see is Ram Gopal Varma's Satya. A violent gangster drama set in Mumbai ("...a city that never sleeps...that dreams even when it's awake...") where Satya, a young man from the rural, rose to power as an advisor for the notorious local gangster Bhiku, played by Manoj Bajpai in a memorable star-making perfomance that shines through the subtitles. Most interesting is how this crime drama is able to make the viewer sympathize with the criminals and the cops in their frustration to stay afloat and survive in this violent city. Surprisingly, there's political concerns as well as we see how the citizens suffer under a police state. It's a shame that this isn't well-known internationally as this is more intelligent and political than what have been produced here. The transfer is decent but cropped 1.85:1 from its original 2.35:1 but the 5.1 soundtrack is strong and showcases the fine score by Sandeep Chowta (I played the opening credits many times just to listen to the titles score). A question from Hindi-speaking members: are the English subtitles sanitized? The reviews I read and the warning on the disc says it has very strong language that don't show up on the translation.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
A question from Hindi-speaking members: are the English subtitles sanitized? The reviews I read and the warning on the disc says it has very strong language that don't show up on the translation.
It's been a while since I last saw 'Satya', also I never watched the subtitles so it's difficult for me to say whether they were sanitized vis a vis the actual dialouges. But what I can tell you is, that Indian censors don't allow very strong language so no Hindi movie really has very strong language. Having said that, 'Satya' did have stronger than normal language for a Hindi film, actually a few minor cuss words.

The funny thing is, that the Indian censors have different sets of standards for English & Indian films. Language that would not be passed in an Indian film gets thru regularly in English films. The same can be said abotu a little nudity too.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
In it's 4th weekend of release in the US, 'Monsoon Wedding' jumped up into the top 20, as it collected $774,150 from 99 screens with a very good average of $7899 per screen. With it's current, total US collections of $2,208,687, 'Monsoon Wedding' is well on its way to most certainly become the highest grossing Indian film in the US. The film is now expected to do $50 million worldwide which would make it the highest grossing Indian film worldwide.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Monsoon Wedding's DVD has been announced for Region 2 PAL release by Film Four, so it should definitely be good. Also, they've also announced that Salaam Bombay will be released.

Date has been set for June 17th.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
June is looking good for Indian film fans. In addition to the 'Monsoon Wedding' and 'Salaam Bombay' DVD anouncement, Columbia has just announced the release date for the 'Mission Kashmir' DVD & VHS.
Mission Kashmir (Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment)
Release Date: June 4th
DVD Features:
Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video Widescreen Presentation
Audio: Hindi and English 5.1 (Dolby Digital)
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean and Ihai
Interactive Menus
Theatrical Trailers
Scene Selections
Rated R
Color
DVD #08736 ; UPC # 0-43396-09736-1 ; DVD LSP $29.95
VHS Dubbed # 08874 ; UPC: 0-43396-08874-0
VHS Subtitled # 08735 ; UPC # 0-43396-08735-4
What's specially interesting is the English 5.1 Dub.
Links to actual news releases:
Mission Kashmir
Columbia TriStar plans Mission Kashmir
Sanjay
Member since 1997

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
The DVD is still not up to hollywood transfers, but it is the best Yash Raj films has done yet... better than both the lacking MOhabbatein, and the atrocious Dilwale DUlhania Le Jayenge.
I have "DDLJ" and I would certainly not apply the term "atrocious" to the transfer.

By my eye, the transfer looks fairly good, rather it looks like the print used for the transfer was not as good as it should have been. Since the film is less than 10 years old, then this seems a matter of not having the original elements, or not having access to them, or other political/legal reasons.

I would certainly rate the overall picture quality of both DDLJ and Mohabbatein as being better than the average Hindi film DVD quality.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Hey guys,
Are there any films by Rani Mukherjee available on region 1 DVD? I have a co-worker from Pakistan who's crazy about her, and has quite a few photos of her up in his cubicle. I must say that she looks pretty dam hot - incredible eyes. Made we wonder why I hadn't been paying more attention to the babes of Bollywood until now!
Reg :emoji_thumbsup:

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
There are several films of Rani Mukherjee available on NTSC, Region 0 DVDs. Infact I think all her films should be available on DVD. The following are a few of her good films that have decent DVDs.

1) Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

2) Ghulam

3) Hey Ram

4) Chori Chori Chupke Chupke

Rani Mukherjee also has a special appearance in 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham' which was recently released on DVD.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Sanjay,

I'll have to check them out. It's great to have some one providing good information straight from New Delhi! One of the many wonders of the internet. Take care.

Reg

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
just note that the 2-disc version of chori chori chupke chupke says it is anamorphic, when it isn't.. it's not even in the correct OAR.. it's cropped to 1:1.85.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks