What's new

Any India "Bollywood" DVD's like Moulin Rouge to recommend? (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Lakshya has my vote for a very good film and the just released DVD is also quite good unlike most Indian DVDs.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Great thread. I've developed quite an interest in Indian films in the last couple of years. I find them fascinating. Extremely different from American films, that's for sure. The song and dance featured in nearly all Indian films are both pro and con of these movies. In many films the song and dance numbers break the rhythm of the film and interrupt far too often. In other cases, they are well placed and add greatly to the film. Sometimes the films are so bad, the songs are the only portion worth watching.
One other note about these songs. On many DVDs, the songs are not subtitled. So if you don't speak Hindi (or Tamil or whatever language the film is in), you miss a good bit. Extremely frustrating!
As noted previously, the quality of many Indian DVDs is absolutely abysmal. Many of them make even the worst Hollywood DVDs look stellar in comparison.
Of the Indian films that I've seen, I think ones like Dil Chahta Hai and Monsoon Wedding would appeal most to western audiences. Lagaan (the first Hindi film I ever saw) was also extremely appealing in a sort of Disney-like, root-for-the-underdog way.
Besides Silsila, I'd also recommend Kabhi Kabhie; Anand; Alaap; Bawarchi; Koshish and Kora Kagaaz from the 70s and 80s. Among more recent films, I'd recommend Astitva and Chandni Bar (both with the excellent actress Tabu - look for her also in Kandukondain Kandukondain, which is Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility in Tamil); Satya; Salaam Bombay!; Hey Ram; Devdas and Mr. & Mrs. Iyer. I have a web site with some rather crude rankings of those and the other Indian films that I've seen.
I am eager to check out Lakshya. With each film he does, I hope against hope that Hrithik proves himself a worthy actor and not just a pretty face and fantastic body. He was praised for his work in Koi... Mil Gaya but I was not particularly impressed.

Daman

Second Unit
Ellen,interesting website you have and very useful too!!
I was of your view regarding Hrithik's acting abilities too but Lakshya got me hooked :) check it out, youll definetly be impressed. Among others you might want to check out Damini, one of the best performances by Sunny Deol in that and among comedies 'Angoor'(Sanjeev Kumar) and 'Jaane bhi do yaaron'-which is the best sarcastic comdey of all time in bollywood ever. Im sure youll love these movies, so do check em out.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Ellen, you have seen quite a lot. And more or less I would

agree with the ratings (take a star, give a star with

some films) where I know the film. Some are not Bollywood

but Indian art house.

You might want to see "Umrao Jaan" too. It's a classic

missing. And check out the films by Ritwik Ghatak. Some

are on DVD from the British Film Institute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks