What's new

Any India "Bollywood" DVD's like Moulin Rouge to recommend? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Where do you guys get these discs? I did a search at Amazon.com and came up with none of "hotty" Rani's films. In terms of other Bollywood films, I have just ordered Lagaan from Deep Discount, and got to see Monsoon Wedding yesterday evening - a big thumbs up! :emoji_thumbsup:
Reg

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
'Monsoon Wedding' continued to lead the pack of 'limited release films' in it's fifth weekend of release, it grossed an estimated $800,000 from 128 theaters for a $6,250 average. Mira Nair's award-winning film added 30 more theaters and watched its gross inch up 3% while its cume climbed to $3,281,000. 'Monsoon Wedding' has now become the all time highest grossing Indian film in the US.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Sanjay,
Just out of curiosity, why are you posting box office information to this thread? You also posted this in the "Monsoon Wedding" thread in movies.
Jason

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Since most people interested in Indian films and DVDs have been following this thread, I thought this might be a good place to post info regarding a popular and acclaimed Indian film which might be of interest to some. But if this is not the right place, I shall desist from doing so in the future.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Jim Long

Grip
Sanjay, thanks for the info I plan to track this one down.

Jason, chill. There's no reason not to post here.

Jim

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Sanjay,
I really thank you and admire your persistance to this thread (I've been following it for some time now), I just found your cross-posting the weekend's box office grosses of "Monsoon Wedding" may confuse the intentions of this particular thread. I certainly don't want it to, as I think this is a really interesting subject.
It's not a big deal, really, I was just curious as to why. Again, thank you very strongly for your contributions to the HTF.
Jim,
I have every right to ask about certain posts if I feel they are questionable to the thread. That's my job. :) Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Anyways, where were we? One thing I'm pondering is to how USA films will handle the R1 release of "Monsoon Wedding." Any guesses?
Jason

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Although the Region 2 Pal DVD of 'Monsoon Wedding' is scheduled for release in June, it is still too early to expect any info regarding the Region 1 DVD since the film is still running well in the theaters in the US. Also I wonder how Universal's taking over USA films is going to effect an ultimate Region 1 DVD release of Monsoon Wedding. One thing is for sure though, with the success the film has gotten in its theatrical release in the US, for once we should be able to expect a good DVD release which is such a rarety for Indian films.
PS: Latest update on the US Box Office status of 'Monsoon Wedding'.
Sanjay
Member since 1997

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Thanks for bumping this thread up, I never noticed it before. I know nothing about Bollywood films, but I'm very curious. I'm adding "Lagaan" to my shopping list, and if I like it, I'll be checking this thread for more recommendations!

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I guess this thread has been revived just in time for the Mission Kashmir DVD, which finally is being released by Columbia Pictures on June 4th, two yrs after its theatrical release.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
"Thanks for bumping this thread up, I never noticed it before. I know nothing about Bollywood films, but I'm very curious. I'm adding "Lagaan" to my shopping list, and if I like it, I'll be checking this thread for more recommendations!"
Martin: If you are like me, after you watch Lagaan, you will be hooked on Bollywood films. I had never hear the term "Bollywood" until after I watched Lagaan and started looking for more Indian films. I currently have about 20 dvd's of Indian films as the result of getting hooked on Lagaan.:)

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who have gotten into Bollywood,

I recently went for some southern cinema, and wow is all i have to say. The DVDs themselves are actually DVD quality, and the movies are amazing.

GO try a few tamil flicks out.(The dvds should only be done by Ayngaran).

Suggested list:

Kannathil Muthamittal(Mani Ratnam's latest... great movie, great sound, and great songs)

Alai Payuthey (also by Mani Ratnam. great movie, great songs, dvd could've been better)

Kandukonden Kandukonden(Totally entertaining flick with grat songs).

Pammal K Sambhandam(Another recent release which was funy and entertaining)

Unfortunately, only Pammal K Sambhandam and Alai Payuthey have subtitles on the songs... but i don't know a word of Tamil either, so I can tell you it doesn't matter.. you can figure out what the songs basically mean by the visuals.

Enjoy

RajeeK

Second Unit
Hey all you Bollywood DVD experts. Two questions.

1. Where is the cheapest I can get the Columbia TriStar Release of Laagan. I have only seen it at Amazon and cdguru, and the cheapest is $22.99? Anyone out there know of a better price from a reliable site?

2. Although it was a marginal movie at best, I did somewhat enjoy "American Desi". Is it out on DVD yet? I have seen some crappy bootleg copies but I havn't seen a real widescreen release of it? Anybody know?

Thanks all.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
1)Buy.com has the Lagaan DVD for sale at $18.49 with Free shipping. Lagaan DVD at buy.com
2)American Desi has not yet officially been released on DVD. The fact that it still has not been released in theaters in India and is still showing in theaters elsewhere in the world may have somethign to do with it. The film just opened in Australia and New Zealand this past week.
Sanjay
Member since 1997

RajeeK

Second Unit
Thanks Sanjay. I just realized I was spelling Lagaan incorrectly, so it never showed up on any searches. On my way to order it now.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
GO try a few tamil flicks out.(The dvds should only be done by Ayngaran). Suggested list: Kannathil Muthamittal(Mani Ratnam's latest... great movie, great sound, and great songs)
I can't find this one at Indiaweekly?? Is this possibly listed under an alternate title or perhaps they just don't carry this one??
I just got into Bollywood about a month ago and so far have seen some great, great films including: Sholay, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Lagaan, Satya, Devdas, Dil Se, Taal and Fiza.
Anyone else see Devdas yet??
Jeff

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hopefully some will respond before it gets buried again.
I just saw Devdas. I saw a dance number from the film at my barber, for which prompted a purchase. I'm very intrigued with these dance numbers. I combed through this thread and have a number of titles to check out. Any others in this vein that weren't mentioned? Even some musical artist's names would be nice. Would love to purchase some music similar to the music in Devdas.
Thank You in Advance

Theon

Agent
I found this unanswered thread during a search so forgive me if what I say has been said in other threads.

In response to Zen Butler's question: Ismail Darbar composed the music from "Devdas" and you'll probably enjoy his music in the movie "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" as well. However, the greatest composer currently working in Indian cinema (who does music for both Hindi and Tamil films) is A.R. Rahman of Broadway's newest musical "Bombay Dreams". The music of the original London cast recording is available. A.R. Rahman is also composing the music for the new "Lord of the Rings" musical. A.R. Rahman's best include the music he did for the movies "Dil Se", "Zubeidaa", "Taal", "Meenaxi", "Lagaan", "Alai Payuthey", and "Bombay".

As many of you already know, "Monsoon Wedding" is already out on DVD. Despite its non-anamorphic nature, it is still one of the best DVDs of an Indian film (DTS sound!).

There is also a R2 "Devdas" release from a French company called "Diaphana" that is supposed to be very good.

One recent Hindi film worth watching that is not mentioned in this thread is "Saathiya". 2003 was a poor year for Hindi films but some good ones were "3 Deewarein", "Pinjar", and "Koi...Mil Gaya". If you're a Shah Rukh Khan fan, you'd probably also enjoy "Kal Ho Naa Ho"

WillardK

Second Unit
Interesting thread with a few lists to check out!
Of the handful or so of more recent Bollywood films I've seen, the only ones I've liked were the ones that were somewhat anti-Bollywood or that went against convention (I thought Lagaan was very dull). Bombay comes to mind, though I 'm not sure if it's on dvd.
I've seen a number of older films that were great and I'm musically partial to the classic singing of Asha Bhosle, Mohammed Rafi, Geeta Dutt... Some I could only find on those mostly awful Eros discs (where sometimes the beauty of the music could almost bring me to tears while the image looked as if it had been dragged through a swamp).
If you're looking for the more outrageous pop dance wig-outs (Moulin Rouge was mentioned at the 2 year old start of this thread) you might like campy 60's fare like Gumnaam (the one sampled in Ghost World) or it's better (story-wise) prequel, Woh Kaun Thi (though this Eros disc is especially bad). Jewel Thief and Teesri Manzil are also very good. One of the best ever is Junglee (with Shammi Kapoor doing his fop-Elvis sort of thing), which I can't find anywhere on dvd. The Eros discs are about on par with Alpha discs in the States, with some exceptions (Gumnaam is one). Generally, the black and white films are the worst bets (the audio even fuzzing out except during musical numbers), while the color films can be quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks