What's new

Any good Multi-disc CD players that are mp3 compatible? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Looking for a multi-disc player since I'm sick of constantly having to change cds in my DVD player. Can you recommend any that play mp3s?

TIA

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, I believe only a couple budget CD changers play MP3-encoded CDs. One that comes to mind is an RCA five-disc carousel changer that Best Buy sells for around $99. It's silver. Radio Shack probably has it too. For some reason, it seems that some DVD players and only the cheapest CD players play MP3-encoded CDs.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Keith, I actually did see them this past weekend at Best Buy, but didn't think they would be all that good. Have you heard otherwise?

TIA

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Jeffrey,

My personal experience with RCA TV's has been a 100% failure rate. In both cases the front panel controls stopped working while the remote continued to work. However, because of this experience I would not touch RCA with a 10 foot pole.

If you have the big bucks to spend on this, Denon makes a DVD player which plays just about every disc format known to man except for SACD. It is called the DVM 4800 and is a five disc carousel type changer. List price is $1200, though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, I have no experience with the RCA CD changer, except for seeing it at the store. It is actually built better than I would expect for $99. However, I'm sure the sound quality is poor. Of course, MP3 isn't a high-resolution format anyway, but I would expect the RCA to be especially disappointing with CDs.

As I said in my previous post, you probably ought to look at DVD players with MP3 playback capability. The Denon DVM-4800 is probably a good choice all-around, but if you mainly want the MP3 feature, it is an expensive way to go. I have not used the '4800 much, but I find the build quality to be disappointing. The '4800 has a lot of potential, but the carousel drawer is a major disappointment in my opinion.

For cheaper DVD players with MP3 playback, look at the Panasonic DVD-RV31 and Pioneer DV-440. Both sell for around $180 at Best Buy. It has been said by a few people here that the user interface for MP3 CDs is more intuitive and user-friendly on the Pioneer player. The Pioneer unit looks to be a very nice player for the money. Check it out. By the way, neither of these players is a changer, but they could very well do the job for MP3s.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
I know just what you mean. It gets old pretty fast having to get up every 10 hours and change the MP3. I don't blame you for wanting to cut down on this totally unnecessary physical effort.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Norm, heheh. I'm not that lazy. :) I guess I should have rephrased my question. I am looking for a good multi-disc cd player, with mp3 playback a plus. I actually have the RV-31, but want a dedicated CD player. I was just wondering if there was one WITH mp3 playback, as I have only seen the RCAs.
I guess I'll just have to buy a cd player that doesn't play mp3s. Oh well, no real biggie. I can always play them in the RV-31!
Thanks guys!
So, can you recommend a good multi CD player for under $200? I was thinking of getting a Yammy to match my RXV-620. How about any 50+ cd players?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, here are a couple of suggestions around $200:
1) Denon DCM-370: A five-disc carousel changer with HDCD decoding. I have one. It's a good changer for the money ($250-300). The changer mechanism is a bit clunky. The '370 is surprisingly warm-sounding for the money, though the detail is lacking. Of course, it isn't a very expensive player, so there will be some compromises in the sound. For about $200, Denon also makes the DCM-270, which lacks HDCD decoding and has no digital output. At least, I don't think it has a digital output. See www.crutchfield.com for more info. on these changers. You may be able to get a better price on these players from a local Denon dealer. I paid $250 for the '370 from a local dealer.
2) Sony CDP-CA70ES: A five-disc changer that can be had for under $250 from authorized dealers like Oade Bros. (1-229-229-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), and OneCall (1-800-340-4770). Build quality is solid for the money, and Sony's ES CD changers sound good in my opinion. As an ES component, the 'CA70ES comes with a five-year warranty. Note that it only has an optical digital output (i.e., no coaxial). See www.crutchfield.com for more on the 'CA70ES. Note that Cruthfield is expensive at $300.
3) Marantz CC3000: Another five-disc changer. Marantz changers give a very warm sound, and the carousel mechanisms are outstanding. Very smooth and fast. You should be able to get the '3000 for $200. For about $250, Marantz makes the CC4000, and for $400 or so, there is the CC4000OSE. I realize the CC4000OSE is out of your price range, but I thought I would mention it for the sake of completeness. The CC4000OSE is built better inside and out than the lesser expensive Marantz carousel changers. See www.marantz.com for more on these changers.
4) Sony CDP-CX400: A 400-disc megachanger, the 'CX400 normally sells for $300 at Best Buy and similar stores. However, J&R Music World, an authorized dealer, sells it for $230. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on the 'CX400. Note, however, that Crutchfields sells it for $300.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of you time and help Keith! I really appreciate it. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
I will definitely check out each of those cd players you mentioned.
Thanks again!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, no problem. Glad to help. Best of luck in your search. When you make a decision, I like to hear what you settled on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks