What's new

Any fans of Nils Lofgren out there? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I bought The Sopranos Peppers & Eggs SACD set a couple of weeks ago, and while I am very impressed with the entire song selection musically and sonically, a song that really impresses me is Nils Lofgren's "Black Books". I like the song, and it sounds great on the SACD. I had heard of Lofgren before buying this SACD set, but I don't know his music. Are there any fans out there? Seeing as I like "Black Books", what other of Lofgren's works might I like? Could you point me to specific CDs? Thanks in advance.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, the first Crazy Horse, self-titled, album with Nils and Ry Cooder as quest players is very, very good. None of their other albums hold a candle to it. Nils and Ry never played with them again either. Crazy Horse went back to being Neil Young's back-up band, although they put out a couple of other albums over the years. Get it, you won't regret it! Nils' BEGGARS DAY first appeared on Crazy Horse. Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, thanks for the input. I'll have to check out the Crazy Horse album.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith:

Crazy Horse - (6438-2) Reprise/Warner Archives

the players:

Ralph Molina > drums

Billy Talbot > bass

Jack Nitzche > piano

Danny Whitten > guitar

Nils Lofgren > guitar

Ry Cooder > slide guitarr on DIRTY DIRTY, CROW JANE LADY & I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT

Gib Gilbeau > fiddle on DANCE DANCE DANCE

the songs:

GONE DEAD TRAIN < defines heavy country rock IMO.

DANCE DANCE DANCE < Neil Young tune

LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS

BEGGAR'S DAY < by Lofgren, best song on the album IMO.

I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT < nice slide

DOWNTOWN

CAROLAY

DIRTY DIRTY < go Ry go! great slide

NOBODY < Lofgren song just average

I'LL GET BY

CROW JANE LADY

Keith, you can also get Nils Lofgren and Grin albums. I don't know if all of them are out on CD though...? I have a few of them on vinnyl. Crazy Horse is a real diamond in the rough! Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, thanks for the excellent info. Much appreciated. I'll have to check out this CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks