What's new
World Wide Stereo

Any Excellent Sounding DVD-A Players? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I have only a small DVD-A collection thus far, but my RP-91 is not delivering the goods in this dept for me. As I have never listened to DVD-A on any other unit, it's only a guess at this point, but I expect the sound quality of a good DVD-A to be in the vicinity of a good SACD (I use the Sony 'C555ES). I am missing a level of 'air' and clarity that I do hear with many SACD selections and even redbook CDs on the Sony.

So anybody have a critical list of the best quality DVD-A players? Let's start with cost-no-object, then later we'll bring it back to reality if necessary (and include video performance). I haven't read much anywhere on quality DVD-A equipment (guess I'm looking in the wrong places).

Thanks.

Doug

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nick V

Second Unit
The Arcam DV-89 is a spectacular unit (sonics-wise), but the picture has some flaws. It's also a little rich for my blood. The new Rotel RDV-1060 should most definitely surpass the quality that you're hearing through your RP-91, and I would also check out the Denon DVD-1600. It may not be as big of an improvement, but it should be quite a bit better none the less. Also, depending on your budget, you may also want to check out the Denon DVD-3800 or DVM-4800.

As a fellow RP-91 owner, I feel your pain. I'm personally waiting for the release of the Adcom GDV-850 then I'll compare it to the Rotel before I make my final decision.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Nick,

I've heard good things about the DV-89's predecessor, the DV-88, at least audio-wise. I also recall reading that either the DV-88 or Arcam's FMJ model was given high marks for its interlaced video quality from a national mag review, FWIW (I think it originally came out without progressive support). From that perspective, note that I use my RP-91 in interlaced mode to my projector, as I feel my proj is that good at de-interlacing (although I don't have the most discriminating eyes). Would you know what the US retail price is for the DV-89? I would guess it's in the $2K - $2.5K range.

I'm surprised you don't mention the Denon DVD-2900. Do you think Denon took a step backward with this model audio quality-wise to squeeze everything in?

Thanks.

Doug

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised you don't mention the Denon DVD-2900. Do you think Denon took a step backward with this model audio quality-wise to squeeze everything in?
I'm not Nick,but IMO they didn't.
I found my DVD-As sound in par with the best of SACDs I own,played back on the 2900. And the price is right.[$795 I paid]

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
You folks may think I'm nuts but I pickup up from the clearance table at SEARS a JVC FA92SL 7 disc progscan dvd/dvd-a player for $199cdn.

I swear to God that going through an analog input of my Denon5800/03 which apparantly just does passthru, it sounds better than the dvd-a performance of my Panny rp82.

I read the in house review at Home Theatre Choice (UK)of this player and although they didn't give the video side a great report, they were very high on the audio side which I agree with.

I was looking for a mltidisc dvd-a to go with my other entry level player the Sony DVP-NC650v 5 disc sacd player which also sounds awsome (it is interlaced only for video)

Here is where I thank Denon for having the forsight of putting 2 sets of analogs in their flagshp reciever (think they are the only one to have 2)

The other thing i wanted todo was give my rp82 a break. It is sdi modded and I use it with the HOLO3D vid scaler and would be very upset if I wore it out

My collection of combination dvd-a,sacd,dts,hdcd discs is now over 130 so having mltidisc players is a great convenience since i work from home and music is playing constantly.

BTW for those of you who have your PC connected to your reciever, I would just like to remind you that if you connect the 2ch audio outs from your snd card to a 2ch audio in on your reciever Windows Media Player 9 is a HDCD player (unless your reciever does hdcd you must use the analogs, if it does decode hdcd you must use the digital), (they were one of the inventors of it with Pacific Microsonics).

Anywho, if anyone is looking to get into these new HIREZ music formats and doesn't want to spend the money on one of the yet unproven combi machines, there should be some great deals comming out as dealers try and clear out old stock.

Peter m.

Nick V

Second Unit
I saw that you used the Sony 555ES (a fine SACD player), so I figured your money would best be spent on a player that does strictly DVD-A. For the record, I have yet to hear DVD-A on the 2900, so I can't really comment on how it compares to the others that I mentioned, but you may be able to get superior DVD-A performance from a similarly priced machine (but maybe not?).

BTW, the DV-89 costs ~$3450 CDN, so that translates to ~$2450 US. I do think that you should be able to get a discount if you find the right dealer, as my dealer here was willing to give me a decent discount on the unit.

I was able to listen to some DVD-A's on the new Rotel 1060 and it sounded absolutely fantastic with some Classe electronics and B&W CDM-NT speakers. I'm not too sure about the picture quality, as all I saw through the unit was some DVD-A menus. Unfortunately, that dealer has no other DVD-A players, so I couldn't compare it to anything else, but I'm sure that it sounded MUCH better than the same discs do through the RP-91.

If I was you, I'd go and check out the 2900 along with some other players in your price range (make sure to bring your discs), and let your ears decide which one sounds best.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
At this stage of HIREZ music if you need a player youshould choose a good quality video player primarily. if it does dvd-a or sacd so muxh the better.

Please choose throw away players in both categories for audio right now.
When the dust settles you can E-bay what you don't need and go for the latest technology.

Peter m.

Nick V

Second Unit
The Arcam unit offers full digital bass-management with selectable crossover points, so I see no problem with using it's analog outputs. It's DAC's are also top notch (maybe better than your run-of-the-mill mid-fi receiver or pre/pro).

Doug_B

Screenwriter
At this stage of HIREZ music if you need a player youshould choose a good quality video player primarily. if it does dvd-a or sacd so muxh the better.
For the most part, this is a rational approach, but I'm not claiming to be rational. Yes, I'd like my next DVDP upgrade to be one that supports HD-DVD and has a DVI output, but I'm "passionate" enough about my small collection of DVD-A discs to spend good bucks to get an extra 10-15% perceived audio improvement as well. If a player is good enough on the audio half, why not use it for audio only and use another DVDP for video? The DV-89 could very well qualify as a good enough DVD-A and redbook player to be one's primary audio CDP.

Of course, I'm not discounting some more reasonably priced players, such as the Denons that have been mentioned, which also have garnered much praise for their video performance. In any case, it doesn't hurt to do some auditions. I hope there are some reasonable setups out in B&M land; I'll be taking some time off next month, so it's a good time.

Doug

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Cost no object DVD-A players:

1) Meridian 800 transport to 861 with digital transfer starting around US$35k

2) Meridian 800 standalone with analog output, around US$20K.

3) Meridian 598 transport to 568.2MM with digital transfer at roughly US$13K.

I'm skipping the various 8xx 5xx mixtures possible for now.

4) Muse Erato transport to MAP processor with digital transfer for roughly US$16K

5) Denon 9000 transport to 5803 Receiver with digital transfer for roughly US$7.5K

6) EAD DVDMaster 8000 Pro, roughly US$6K if memory serves me correctly

7) Arcam models listed earlier.

That should be a nice grouping of price no object solutions ;)

Regards,

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, This relates to one of John's options.

John I have an upgraded Denon 5800 to which the Denon Link and some other stuff that would allow a Future upgrade to take a different direction should the "Link" be abandoned.

For those who choose the Denon 5800/5803/9000 option. What happens if you have other HIREZ players plugged into the 2 sets of analog ins' at the same time?

Is everything functional? Does use of the "link" disable 1 or both of the analog inputs? Can you use all three for three separate players?

Peter m.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
John,

So which of the ones that you listed do you own ? :) :)

I probably would consider the Arcam units at the upper end of what I would potentially shell out; not saying I will, though.

Thanks.

Doug

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

I will have a Meridian configuration that I didn't list :D

I just closed a deal on Meridian's 861 processor, and I will be using a 598DP as the DVD-A source :D

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

I'm sorry -- I don't know the answer to your question directly and what I type is how I would setup the 5800/5803 not necessarily how it works in the real world. I have yet to work with a 5803/9000 Combination though I have heard it demonstrated on several occasions.

I would expect that the Denon Link and Analog inputs can be used discretely.

For arguments sake, we'll say you bought a 5803/9000 combo.
You would hook up the Denon Link for the 9000 to send DVD-A digitally.

Then, you would hook up a multi-channel SACD player to 5.1 input A. You should be able to switch between these with no problems.

Regards,

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John, and thanks for the response.
I'm going to post it over at the 5803 help forum and see if anyone is using all three inputs.

This brings up another question however, for folks whose prepro only has 1 sets of analog inputs, is there an inexpensive 'RatShack" type switcher, that doesn't degrade sound quality.

Of the flagship recievers Denon seems to be the only one with 3 options if you include the Denon link, but I think many people would kill for 2.

Peter m.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

I have used a pair of inexpensive RS switchers for my "normal person" system with no noticable ill effects.

In my main system, I have used Shawn Fogg's switchbox (US$200 or so depending on what options you have) as well as an EMM Labs Switchman-II (a killer 6-channel analog preamp).

Regards,

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have used a pair of inexpensive RS switchers for my "normal person" system with no noticable ill effects.
MCM Electronics also have some low cost switchers. They are better than the RS in terms of build quality (metal box, gold jacks, nice feel to the knob). At the time they were even cheaper.

Would have gone with the RS, but after checking 4 stores in my city, I came up empty. Guess all the local hi-fi geeks bought them up!

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks