What's new

Any DVD players with VGA or RGBHV Output? (1 Viewer)

Anyone know any progressive DVD players that output with either of these formats? I saw a friends setup in which he has a HTPC hooked up to his RPTV through a breakout cable and the picture was stunning! I don't really want to deal with the hassle of a HTPC as my main DVD source but was wondering if any manufacture was making a stand alone unit that may be able to rival that level of quality if they used RGBHV instead of standard component output? I've checked the likes of denon, toshiba, sony etc but haven't had any luck yet.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
HTPCs look wonderful on larger (I run 6' wide) screens because of the scaled resolution (1440x960p in my case for no scaling artifacts), ability to run 72Hz, scaling quality, and lack of losses due to A/D and D/A conversions.

Obviously, not all of these benefits can be realized with most RPTVs.

Although you can get the RGBHV output on a consumer DVD player (Skyworth makes one), you won't get the rest of the package.

In one box:

PSI has the $2K PD1000 DVD player which is essentially a HTPC without the interface problems, although it won't scale other sources.

Faroudja is supposed to release a NRS/DVD player combination for $10K.

In two boxes:

You can connect an SDI equipped DVD player (some consumder players can be modified for $600) and feed it into a SDI equipped scaler (Key Digital Leeza, Vigatec Dune, TAW Rock, etc.) for somewhere arround $6K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks