PC 480p output to projector

Discussion in 'Computers' started by tobias sands, May 29, 2003.

1. tobias sands

tobias sands Auditioning

I'm about to start using my PC as my AV source.

So, the sound is going optically to my amp (no problem there) but I have a number of visuals options. I've just bought a projector with S-video inputs which also takes 480i. I can run s-video or component cable from my video card (Radeon 8500) to that port no problem. However, I hear that the VGA input on the projector can also be used for a 480p signal (something to do with RGBHV?). Question is, can my PC generate this signal? Can it come direct from the VGA out? or do I need a specialsed dvd player or video card?

This is the last stage of getting my HT together, everthing else is sorted so any advice would be very welcome, Cheers.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

480p is no problem from the VGA jack.

No need for anything special- try connecting jack and use 640x480 desktop setting and see what happens.

What model projector??

-V

3. tobias sands

tobias sands Auditioning

I'm running an infocus X1. Funny thing is first time I booted up with the PJ turned on and is recognised a 480p signal from the computer as it was booting. Now I can only get it recognise 480p when I change to full screen mode playing visualisations in windows madia player (somehting about different full screen modes perhaps?), otherwise it just sees an 800x600 60Hz siganl. Any ideas?

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

the RGB input on your projector is the same as the RGB output that you hook your monitor up to. matter of fact that's what projectors are intended for. as a note, the infocus X1 has two modes, I would suggest using the high contrast low lumen mode; it's not as bright (something like half the lumen output) but you get the 2000:1 contrast which is incredible.

computers tend to boot up in 320x240 and your windows media player is more than likely using a low resolution for the full screen mode (this I think is defaulted to 640x480)

bytheby, what is your current desktop resolution? you might be running something that the projector is unable to handle. you could also look into your frequency, most monitors and video cards can handle some pretty high frequencies at the low resolutions so you might be running outside the scan range of the projector.

resolution:
    right click on desktop->properties->settings tab
    you can adjust via slider

frequency:
    same as resolution->advanced->monitor tab
    adjust via pull down box

anyway, hope this helps, please post back with results or any questions.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Isn't the X1 800x600 native anyway? Why do you wanna run 480P? I thought these things really shine with 720p input.

-Vince