Upconvert DVD player with VGA output?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Min P, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Min P

Min P Auditioning

I have a Zenith Pro895X projector in the basement that accepts RGBHV inputs and have been wanting to hook it up to a DVD player via the RGBHV input without having to buy an expensive video processors from Farouja or DVDO iScan. Does anyone know of a good DVD player that is capable of upconverting to 1080i/p with VGA or RGBHV output? It would be even better if the player is capable of 5.1 audio output and DiVX playback. I found a player called Momitsu V880-DX but can not find any reviews on it.

I need help... I welcome any advice.

Thanks,
    Min

2. John S

John S Producer

This is where most people just go to a PC to serve up their video in all honesty.

Shoot, hard enough to find component video for 1080i let alone a VGA output. I see two current threads with this question. I will certainly check back in to see the responses. I am really not aware of any right now, that have this capability.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  4. Min P

Min P Auditioning

Thanks for the information. The DVI-D to VGA conveerter is shown connecting a PC to a monitor... would this work for a DVD player with output at 1080i connecting to a Projector with RGBHV?

Thanks,
    Min

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I would E-Mail the seller for info and see if you can get a guarantee if it does not work. I also think you are going thru lots of trouble to see 480p vs. 1080i. My main system display will do 720p and I moved my Samsung HD1000 which upconverts via component (it has no DVI or HMDI) to the basement system I almost never use since I like the DVD-A sound quality in another player better. On a good transfer it would look better but it can't choose what it upconverts either. I've read reports of people hacking into the service menu of the $90 Cyberhome upconverting player you can get at Walmart to upconvert over the component outs.

6. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

Try this for starters:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=344021

Many other threads on these players exist there as well. Just do a search for Momitsu in all forums and you'll find them. A couple other players to investigate would be the Oppo and the NeuNeo.

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    The NeuNeo HVD2085 retails for $245. I have last year's model the HVD2081 and the picture quality over component is good but I haven't used the VGA output. Build quality is reputedly very poor so buyer beware, although mine has been great so far.

Chris

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

theres the neu neu and the V880 as mentioned, as well as the PC route. Something like the v880 will work just fine for this projector. If you had a higher-end unit, a PC might get you the best performance, but they are a big hassle to set up compared to a standalone upconverting player via RGB.

9. Min P

Min P Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. What spec PC would you recommend? What types of software, DVD drive, etc.? Would a DVD drive on a PC be able to upconvert to 1080i?

Thanks for your help.
    Min

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

most any modern PC with a decent Nvidia or ATI card should be fine. There's lots of DVD playback software out there. The DVD drive has nothing to do with the video processing, all that is handled in the card or in software depending on the drivers or post-processing in use. This is a HUUUUGE realm of discussion, check out the HTPC forum here or at AVS.