What's new

Any difference between dishes? (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any real difference between dishes other than the fact that they are single, dual line, etc? Are the Sony dishes better quality or have different features than the Terk?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All of the 18x24 DirecTV dishes are made by the same company (Channel Master I think). If you look on the back, it is stamped on there.

I had the same question with regard to the 24" oval dishes. One store/installer said there are different choices and the quality depends on the switches on the back and the amps (?). He mentioned Winegard, Channel Master, Direct, and Sony. This guy's "best" oval dish was $245. Another dealer said all they sell is Hughes stuff, and their 24" oval dish with receiver is $75. I'm going to hookup the dish to 3 TVs and 2 receivers, one of which will be the Zenith DTV1080. Should I just go with the lowest price dish and SD receiver combo, or do I need to beware of cheap hardware?

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brian,
I don 't know if all of the dishes are the same but this week at CES I saw a new dish that DirecTv is coming out with. If you are not in a big hurry you might want to wait for it. It is slightly different in shape. It has three LNBs built in plus it has a built in multiswitch that is waterproof.
Plus DirecTv said that the new dish will have a price DROP!! :)
Glenn

ChrisCooper

Auditioning
Similar type question to the original.

Background: There is a Dish500 dish with dual LBNs mounted on my house from the previous owner. I've got a single DirectTV receiver and might add a one second in the future. I haven't yet activated my DirectTV service.

I am getting the impression from this thread that I am going to have problems using the Dish500 dish. Is this correct? If I can use it, what do I need to do/buy?

Should I just go buy a cheap DirectTV package and replace the Dish500 dish that is on the house? Any recommendations on the best deal out there? I am assuming that I can use the existing wiring.

Thanx for the help.

Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are a new D* subscriber you there are a lot of deals you can take advantage of. Blockbuster (may already be over) has a deal where you can get the 18"x24" dish and a basic receiver from free or Link Removed has free DirecTivos with an 18" dish. I became a "new" subscriber recently under my wife's name and a new address.
The existing wiring will work just fine. You may need more depending on your installation.
You can use the Dish500 if you reall want to. Just get an 18" dish to point at the 101 satellite and the 500 is already pointing at the 119 sat. Add a multi-switch to tie everything together and you have the equivalent of an 18"x24" dish in case you want Spanish or HD programming.
-Robert

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

>>Any indication when this new dish will be available?

I did not hear any dates for it's availability. Sorry. I do think it will be sonner rather than later but that is just my guess.

You might try calling DirecTv and asking them, if you can find someone on the phone that has that type of info.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks