What's new

Any chance of a Classic Zelda or Mario game? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I almost miss the days of the side scroller, where you could just pick up a Zelda game and just wander the map looking for the fortress entrance. All you did was walk and fight, and the only person to talk to was the annoying old man..

Same goes for Mario. The 3D games are fun, but I'm not really able to just pick up and go with 'em like I was with the 2D ones....

Anyone else feel the same way?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Not exactly. I think the Zelda games improved tremendously with Link to the Past, where they became RPG-like. If you can handle talking to townspeople, you do have a new Zelda overhead game to look forward to on the GBA.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I would have agreed with you up until Ocarina of Time and Windwaker. They convinced me that Zelda belongs in 3D. The depth of swordplay you can pull off is much more satisfying than that of the 2D versions.

Now Mario though, I agree. I did enjoy Mario Sunshine a great deal myself, but a 2D Mario title is a thing of beauty when it's done properly. Yoshi's Island remains my favorite of that series and there's no way you'd be able to do that in 3D with all the complex and skilled moves you have to pull. 3D just doesn't lend itself well to that.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I content myself with the fact that most Mario & Zelda games are playable on the gamecube in one way or another. I'd love to see a new side scroller or vertical scroller, but as long as the 3d counterparts are as good as Ocarina, Wind Waker, or Mario 64 (Sunshine was a bit tedious, but fun), than I'm thrilled to have them.

What I really want right now is to have Kid Icarus updated as well as Zelda and Metroid.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Neil. I miss the "old school" scroll games like the original Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, and Metroid. Two of the best games EVER, IMO. It would be a nice change to see a new one, but I understand that it's also a step back in technology, so we'll never see it... Anyone remember Faxanadu or Rygar??

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Anyone remember Faxanadu or Rygar
I loved Rygar. I'd love to get it on a GBA cart for my game boy player. I played that game for hours at a time. It was even one of the reasons I got a PS2, but I don't actually own the new game as I've been told it's not very good :frowning:.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Anyone remember Faxanadu or Rygar??
Man, I remember going grocery shopping with my parents to I could rent games from the "big" grocery store in Madison. Faxanadu was one of those. I spent 20 to 30 hours in a weekend getting through that game, so I could be done before they'd have to return it. As I recall... I had a grand old time. :)

Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see an extended Mario game set up like the bonus levels from Sunshine. Those were great.

Or maybe a 2.5-D Mario game (3-D graphics on a 2-D plane for gameplay). Maybe even a GBA Mario game (brand new) with gameplay inspired more by the 3-D games.

They're making a new Zelda for GBA (from Capcom) so maybe they'll make a new Mario.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks