What's new

Any 27" HDTVs coming soon? (1 Viewer)

Rob Craven

Auditioning
Hi there!

I'm moving to a bigger place in August and I'll have a somewhat small room I'll be able to use as my own personal movie room/game room/office. At first, I'd been looking at getting a Toshiba 32" HDTV-ready set (32HF73), but then I saw it at Best Buy and it looked too big for the room it's going to be in (though if it comes down in price, I may have to consider it). So I then looked at the Zenith C27V36 at Circuit City and it looked like a pretty nice TV and they had an open box/floor model one for only $460 or so.

It seems like all the newer models are getting bigger and bigger, even on the direct view side. So I was wondering if anyone knew if any good 27" or 30" HDTVs were coming out any time soon? I'm pretty much sticking with direct view, since I don't think I can afford any more than, say, $600.

Thanks!

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Yeah that Panasonic is out now; I saw it at my local Circuit City for $550. It seemed like a nice deal but it only has one component input! I think that is unacceptable, since you cannot have your
HD tuner and DVD player both using component inputs unless you have a receiver that can do component switching. Samsung has a few 27” HDTV’s and so does Zenith.

Rob Craven

Auditioning
Ugh. That Panasonic would be sweet if it weren't for the fact that it has one component input and one S-video input. The Zenith looked pretty good to me, but I haven't seen any of the Samsungs.

Thanks for the input. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
To be future proof I would look for a set that also has a DVI input. I think the Zenith does? A real nice set if you can go $950 is the 30" Samsung with the built in HDTV Tuner & a DVI input that Best Buy has.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Not interest in widescreen models? Toshiba (and others) have a 30" widescreen, and Toshiba is coming out with a 26" too.

Rob Craven

Auditioning
I guess I just wasn't sure if widescreen models would be worth it. Most of them seem to be a lot heavier, more expensive, and I wasn't sure if the screen would be big enough if I was watching something that was 4:3 (and I'd really rather not stretch it) or playing video games that aren't widescreen. But the Toshiba 26" model you mentioned... maybe... I have to find that site again that shows what the dimensions would be if I watched non-wide stuff on there.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Link Removed

Looks like a 26" widescreen has the height of a 21" 4:3 set, and slightly more width then a 27".

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Rob,

I'd like to throw another vote for the Samsung widescreens into the ring. I've had a TXN2668WHF for about a month now and absolutely love it. It's a 26" widescreen HD CRT display. It has two sets of 480i/480p1080i component A/V inputs, three sets of composit A/V inputs and a set of S-vid A/V inputs on the left side (behind a door) for hooking up a video camera, game machine or something. Note that it doesn't have DVI if that matters to you.

Samsung's product page: TXN2668WHF

I'm currently feeding it an HD signal from my COX HD CATV box (Motorola DTC6200) and it looks amazing. I've got a Zenith DVB318 (upconverts to 1080i) on order and will be feeding that into the second set of HD inputs. Regular CATV is okay. I generally watch it (and 4:3 DVDs) in "panarama" mode (normal picture in mid-screen, streched progressive more towards either outside edge - I hardly even notice it any more).

I paid $599 at Sears with no interest, no payments for a year. Obviously Sears runs other promotions and you may find a better (or different) deal if/when you check it out. But, just like Mike, I love this TV & have no problems recommending it!

Rob Craven

Auditioning
Thanks for the recommendations and information. :) I'd been looking at Samsungs a bit, since they seemed to be decently priced, but I don't know much about Samsung as a brand, so I wasn't looking too seriously at them. The lack of a DVI input does put me off a bit, though. But... it seems like newer models are coming out all the time and maybe one of the other Samsungs will do. Since I won't be getting the TV for a few more months (seems silly to buy it BEFORE I move), the price will probably even come down.

Thanks!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Rob, See my post on the New 30" & 32" Sanyo sets. The 32" Flat Tube is $747.00 at Wal-Mart & has a Built-in HDTV Tuner. Check www.sanyo.com for complete specs.

Rob Craven

Auditioning
Nice. I think I'll have to go over to Walmart to check out the picture on the 32" one, though I may be more likely to get the 30" one... we'll see. By the time I'm ready to buy, these will definitely be affordable. And they have exactly the right number and type of connections I'm looking for. Sweet. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The nice thing about the price is that it will probably make Samsung, Philips & Zenith lower their prices on their new sets to compete with Sanyo :D so if you can hold off I would until all the new sets are out & lets hope they have all the inputs that the Sanyo's have. It would be nice to see a 30" Widescreen set before or after Xmas go for $699.99 & a closeout price of $599.99 would be really sweet :D That's when I'll probably spring for an HDTV set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks