What's new

Antenna TV picks up "It's About Time"...is DVD Next? (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'll be ordering It's About TIme the minute it's available. I always loved the antics of the erstwhile astronauts and cave people in this series, which had it fair share of Beverly Hillbillies type situations. Compared to the "stupid shows", or should I say "crap", on television these days, this is Buster Keaton! Wonder if there's any hope for Adventures in Paradise or Bachelor Father? The great blu-ray lineup of 40's and 50's classics coming from ClassicFlix will be keeping my wallet quite busy in the future!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be ordering It's About TIme the minute it's available. I always loved the antics of the erstwhile astronauts and cave people in this series, which had it fair share of Beverly Hillbillies type situations. Compared to the "stupid shows", or should I say "crap", on television these days, this is Buster Keaton! Wonder if there's any hope for Adventures in Paradise or Bachelor Father? The great blu-ray lineup of 40's and 50's classics coming from ClassicFlix will be keeping my wallet quite busy in the future!

On the face of it, the 60s were full of "stupid" shows.

The average one line summation of, I Dream Of Jeannie or Gilligan's Island or any of the more fantastical shows of the era sounds kind of weird.

Doesn't mean they weren't good shows, though.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For me, IT'S ABOUT TIME is one of those shows like THE PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMPTON, where the theme song is far better than the show itself. I still can't get either one out of my head and I haven't seen them in nearly 50 years.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That theme song has worked its way into my head several times a year since it originally aired. I also recall the series being far better before they managed to take the cavemen to modern times. This is likely a release day purchase for me.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
It's About Time is a big surprise release. I will be getting it for sure.

I don't remember Lock Up, but a quick search showing season 1 is from 1959 definitely has me interested.

I hope these are all unedited and in decent viewing quality.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Dan McW for posting this news...very exciting that ClassicFlix intends to release Lock Up S1 and I'ts About Time complete series...I'm hyped on anything ZIV, and have hoped for more releases from that library, since the TMG and TGG releases of ZIV shows dried up...Lock Up is among the last of the ZIV produced shows...78 syndicated episodes in this 2 season show...aired in 1959 - 61...started production the same year as Bold Venture, Man and the Challenge, This Man Dawson, Men into Space and World of Giants... now owned by MGM/UA...as is It's About Time...that's a show I will have to ponder upon before buying it...I saw it first run as a 10-11 year old and thought it was pretty dumb...even insufferable at times...poor Imogene Coca, she was on a bad run after Grindl, truly an awful show...I really don't know if I'd find any redeeming qualities in viewing It's About Time again...and I already have about as much Joe E. Ross as I need from my 2 season sets of Car 54, Where Are You?...

I saw from ClassicFlix's Facebook page that these new releases start rolling out in late spring...along with some very desirable '50s Noir feature films on dvd and blu-ray...along with the forthcoming vintage TV on dvd and blu-ray coming from the Great Kino-Lorber, (Outer Limits on Blu-ray, Coronet Blue on dvd?) these are very welcome developments!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Kino-Lorber hasn't confirmed any titles yet...but they have confirmed that they are working on bringing two vintage TV series to disc...one of which will be fully remastered to HD and released on Blu-ray and DVD...the other vintage series, described as "cool" by the Kino rep, is going to be released on DVD only...the informed speculation is that the series on Blu will be the original Outer Limits...and that the other show is Coronet Blue...we just need to show patience, as I think Kino is working on a deluxe presentation for Outer Limits...with bonus features they will likely try to include...they have a working relationship with MGM and CBS, who own the two series...they have also released a lot of choice classic Fox films also, very active...and recently announced a deal with ABC/Disney...a lot of Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and the Selznick catalogue of classic films...also including made for ABC TV movies...

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. According to wikipedia, Day's Of Our Live's Tom Horton, MacDonald Corey was the star of Lock Up. It's hard to believe he had a life before DOOL. He was a strong father influence on the program. You can still hear his narration on the opening credits.

James

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I am delighted to hear this new. I am so pleased when I hear of some more 50s or 60s shows being released on DVD or bluray. While I do like some modern TV I have to say that most of my favourite come from these times. Interestingly enough many of these shows we did not get here in Britain...or else if we did I was not aware of them. However I find these old shows so entertaining. It's About Time is a show I was aware of but I never saw. But if it is anything like Bewitched, Jeannie, Mr. Ed, The Munsters, The Adams Family, My Mother The CAr then I am sure I will enjoy it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It's more like My Mother The Car than the other ones you mention...

Now that its finally being more widely seen after 50 years, it can take its rightful place on the all-time worst shows list, alongside MMTC, Ugliest Girl in Town, Camp Runamuck and the abysmal Tammy Grimes Show, which was one of the only shows of the 60s to be pulled off the air after a month with the majority of its episodes unaired. Because MMTC made it into syndication and had far more visibility than those other shows, it became a notorious flop and pick for worst ever lists. Maybe most ridiculous premise, but certainly there have been more awful shows. Munsters Today anyone?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I remember when it first came out being excited about It's About Time, but the theme song was the only good thing in the show. When Things Were Rotten was a huge disappointment too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Now that its finally being more widely seen after 50 years, it can take its rightful place on the all-time worst shows list, alongside MMTC, Ugliest Girl in Town, Camp Runamuck and the abysmal Tammy Grimes Show, which was one of the only shows of the 60s to be pulled off the air after a month with the majority of its episodes unaired. Because MMTC made it into syndication and had far more visibility than those other shows, it became a notorious flop and pick for worst ever lists. Maybe most ridiculous premise, but certainly there have been more awful shows. Munsters Today anyone?
I guess I'm a oddball (OK... I know I'm a oddball :D) but I enjoyed MMTC when I was finally able to see it after all those years. Mind you, it's not great, but is a fun diversion. There are quite a few far more popular comedies, which ran several seasons (some 4 or more), I'd personally rank worse than MMTC. Some of those on that list are highly acclaimed programs that do absolutely nothing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks