What's new

Another tarantula picture by Jay (image enclosed) (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ack, look, an eight legged freak!!

Just a christmas picture of my not-so-little beauty. Having just seen Eight legged freaks where it looks like they use a pink toed tarantula of the Avicularia genus in the beginning (on Joshua's back) and it looks like the one big tarantula they use is something of a rosyhair variety or at least looks like one.
This is of course after scarying it out of its burrow because I had to remove it's exuvium (or as Mike from the movie calls an "exoskeleton"). It has since returned to it's cubby hole.
Anyway, just a happy spider keeper showing off the guy. :)
Jay

Scott W.

Second Unit
I want a tarantulla so bad... but I live in an apartment, and the managers say it could be dangerous if it got loose. Bummer.

Scott

Janna S

Second Unit
Hey Jay!

I just read an article about the new airport luggage scanners - warning not to put film in - and it mentioned the guy whose tarantulas went through and came out hairless. It's not exactly Charlotte's web, but I actually felt sorry for the little critters . . .

Just be glad you don't have to put booties on them when they go for a walk. I tried to get Zoe (the Newfoundland) to wear her booties last night. We finally have snow, and she is getting snowballs on her feet which require her to stop dead in the middle of the street occasionally - a road hazard! She was not happy - and she only has four feet!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Woah! Another great spider pic from the HTF's very own spiderman!
A colorful arachnid Jay and.. you removed what? It's exoskeleton? gaaah!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi Janna, I'll take the opportunity in this very public forum to wish all you lucky Alaskans a Happy New Year, although we get the new year first so Pffftttttt! :)
I haven't yet taken my Tarantula out snowshoeing, I don't think the Iditerod people are going to be replacing their dogs with tarantulas any time soon, even with 8 legs, they don't have much pulling power and they certainly wont like the snow. Now as to airport luggage scanners and tarantulas.. I can only imagine "hairless" being the little bristles on their "abdomens" that they will rub off with the rear set of legs when agitated. I imagine going through airport scanners is very frightening on a creature that doesn't move unless they really have to. The ultimate lazy hunter, let the food come to it!
Steve, actually I didn't remove the exoskeleton, the T can do that themselves, I just removed it from his cave. And to do that I had to get the little bugger out of it. It protested quite alot but I managed to get it out. One way a T and a cat are similar is that neither likes getting sprayed with water.
Scott W: shouldn't tell your manager! They don't ever really need to know and it's not like you need to walk your spider, nor do they bark or make any noises (unlike the silly spiders in Eight Legged Freaks)
Nobody has ever died of a tarantula bite, unlike a dog. So statistically, you are infinitely safer with a tarantula than a dog!
Jay

Scott W.

Second Unit
Hey J. I'd love to get a Tarantula, like I said before. But getting the crickets past the managers office would put me at risk. I couldn't take the chance of another apartment user finding out I had one and telling the manager. I may get a little devious, but not sure right now. When it comes to what I want, just about any small or big tarantula would be alright. All I ask for, is one that doesn't spin webs. I'd REALLY hate to have to clean up after them and put myself at risk of a bite. Anyways, think I'll try this new year to get one.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks