What's new

Another possible OAR success story (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Not sure if this goes in software or not, but I'm proud of my mom. :D My parents are thinking about getting my grandmother a DVD player for Christmas, and my mom already got her a disc. She said to me, "I found her The Sound of Music for $12." I thought, "Well, it's probably the one-disc, but is it...?" I looked at it, and sure enough, the band across the top was gold, not silver, and the back cover proudly stated "Anamorphic widescreen."
My mom has always been kind of ambivalent about widescreen. When I first started watching WS movies on VHS when I was pretty young, I don't think she understood it, but she got to where she didn't mind watching widescreen. As I looked at the Sound of Music disc, she said to me, "You may have to explain to her what those black bars are." I said, "I'll just pull out her VHS of it and say, 'See, here there are only three Von Trapp kids :) " She said, "Right."
Anyway, this is not some life-altering thing, but it's still kind of cool. Parents all good; Moving on to grandmother now. :emoji_thumbsup:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If you don't mind, I'd like to tell an OAR success story as well...about me. :)
My cousin introduced me to Star Wars in 1994, but I only got to watch a few minutes of it because my family was leaving the next morning and my parents didn't want me to stay up. Thus, when I got back home, I borrowed the trilogy of videos from my friend and perhaps the library...all pan and scam. It wasn't until I saw A New Hope: Special Edition in theaters that I realized what I was missing. I spotted the difference right when STAR WARS blasted onto the screen. If you've seen any of the Star Wars videos in pan and scam, you know what i'm talking about. Instead of seeing STAR WARS at first, you see something liek TA VAR, but it eventually scrolls out, of course. So I thought to myself, "Hey, what the heck, I've been missing out on some of the picture!" Needless to say, I bought the widescreen Special Edition trilogy set. If only I had done the same for the original trilogy...:frowning: Well, I could get a laserdisc player and get the laserdiscs on EBay...when I earn my own money, which will take a few years. :) But hopefully Lucas will release the original trilogy on DVD so I won't have to do that...

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
A New Hope has a great scene to show someone the difference. When Luke is looking through his binoculars for the Sandpeople, he first says he doesn't see any, then he says he does see them. On the P&S version, you still can't see them. On the OAR, they're right there in the corner. I watched it for years on TV and never really got that.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I thought the same thing Dennis. Also, before I was educated, I always thought my tv wasn't big enough to catch all the scroll words at the start of the films. Man was I stupid back then...

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks