What's new

Another Nitpicky Speaker Stand Question (1 Viewer)

Matt Lee

Agent
So I'm about to order a pair of stands for my main speakers. I have JBL S38IIs and since there's nothing out there for bookshelf speakers that heavy (28lbs) that doesn't cost more than what I paid for the speakers, someone who also uses S38s recommended the Wood Tech TMT-30s. So I was trying to decide between the TMT-30 or TMT-24, waiting to measure my listening height until I moved into my new apartment (yesterday) and now that I've measured it, between the various couches, it averages about 35-36". The problem is since the tweeter is 8" up on the JBLs, that brings the potential heights to 32" and 38", so either too low or two high.

So I guess my question is, would it be better to have the tweeter slightly above or below ear level, or is it close enough that it doesn't matter? I was leaning towards ordering the shorter stands since they have a wider plate (8x8" rather than 6.5x6.5") and thus would accomodate the huge S38s a little better. Any thoughts? I'm hoping to order them later today so they're here by the end of the week. Suggestions of other similarly priced stands (I'm looking at $55 + $20 s/h online so probably $75 max) are welcome.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are most definitely stands that can handle that weight. The high mass metal stands at www.partsexpress.com will easily handle those speakers, and come in 24" with ~2" spikes. They were on sale for $89 last month when I bought a set, though that does not include shipping and they are heavy - ~25 lbs each, before being filled! The top plate is about 9" x 8". Very nice stands for the $$.

I personally don't like wood stands unless they can be filled.

I think the 30s will be a bit too tall. You don't need to get the height exactly at ear level.

Matt Lee

Agent
Those look really nice. They look perfect for my speakers, except they're definitely a bit more than I planned to spend. I hoped to spend under $80 with shipping and I imagine those would be at least $120 with shipping (they're presently $97.80 before). So basically getting close to spending twice as much as I intended to, but I'm sure they're much better stands and I'd be far less likely to need to replace them in the long run. I guess I'll have to think about whether or not I want to spend a little (or a lot) more to get a sturdier product overall. But as to my other question I take it you're saying 24" should be fine then and an inch or two below ear level won't hurt.

Thanks.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
if you've got a few tools and an afternoon or two you can make your own stands for MUCH less than your budget. I made stands base on this design.

TNT Stubby

here are mine There is a link to more construction pics at the bottom.

if you use MDF instead of hardwood you'll save even more money. My stands are VERY solid and very heavy. they will easily hold up your jbl's.

Ron Daily

Grip
Troy, those are some very nice looking stands. You should make more of them and sell them online [hint...hint]. And what a coincidence....i happen to live in the same city :D

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Troy, those are some very nice looking stands. You should make more of them and sell them online [hint...hint]. And what a coincidence....i happen to live in the same city
Thanks Ron, They're WAY too easy to make for someone to pay me to make them. The hardest part was getting the PVC cut to the right length and square. Luckily I had some help with my uncle's table saw...

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"They're WAY too easy to make for someone to pay me to make them."

Troy are you trying to kill the capitalist system? Many a fortune has been made off of something that is easy to make and raw materials cost almost nothing. Why do you think there are so many speaker wire companies?

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Troy are you trying to kill the capitalist system? Many a fortune has been made off of something that is easy to make and raw materials cost almost nothing. Why do you think there are so many speaker wire companies?
Hey if someone wants me to make them a pair I'll gladly do a 50% mark up for materials, and a 50% mark up for my time, just to make them happy! :D any takers?

You'll obviously be getting some high quality stuff since it costs so much! ;)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"Hey if someone wants me to make them a pair I'll gladly do a 50% mark up for materials, and a 50% mark up for my time, just to make them happy! any takers?

You'll obviously be getting some high quality stuff since it costs so much!"

Sorry! You should have protected your intellectual property before posting it on the net.

The Troi speaker stands will be available in a white van near you by tomorrow.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
If I tried to pawn them off as my own then TNT audio would be taking me to court! I'd have to pass my lawyer costs on to the consumers, it would just get UGLY! :D

I'm Just trying to help out my fellow penny pinching audio nuts! ;)

Matt Lee

Agent
The DIY option sounds cool but I don't have the time, tools, skill or motivation to make my own stands.

So I went with the PartsExpress High Mass 24" stands. I decided it was worth spending a bit more to get the most out of my speakers plus they'll be sturdier and I won't have to worry as much about stability. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks