What's new

Another crazy lawsuit (1 Viewer)

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Then insane lawsuits just keep coming...

"Watching contestants eat dead rats on NBC's gross-out stunt show "Fear Factor" so disgusted a Cleveland man that he has sued NBC for $2.5 million, saying he could not stomach what he saw."

Maybe he should also sue the TV manufacturer since his tv was obviously broken and unable to change channels.

Rest of the article:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...evision_rat_dc

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
And he won't talk about it unless he gets paid for it. This man's scruples can't be matched.

I hope the judge points out that there's a knob or button on his TV that will allow him to change the channel or shut it off. He wasn't forced to watch it, and they set up the stunts well enough in advance you can turn the channel. Also, these people aren't doing anything against their will.

Seriously, people who bring lawsuits like this should be fined or jailed.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Who can I sue because hearing about all these frivolous lawsuits (and the amount they add to the cost of every product and service I buy) are making me physically ill?

Regards,

Joe

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Anybody remember an old SNL 'commercial' back in the late '80's with Phil Hartman as this curly-haired lawyer? He was from the law office of 'Green and Fazio'. In the commercial he says something like "Have you been in an accident? Have you witnessed an accident? Have you suffered emotional distress from hearing someone talk about an accident they were in" etc. He goes on to talk about his law firm pioneering fields like 'bystander trauma', 'near-collision stress disorder', and 'phantom whiplash'. Some of these ridiculous lawsuits make me think of that old sketch.

A man suing because he was disgusted at something he saw on TV? Change the channel. I think Fear Factor is disgusting and I found the solution. I don't watch it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

How about a man suing because of what he himself did because he was disgusted at something he saw on TV?

Remember the guy who tried to sue Orkin because he was fooled by one of those commercials where a phony ad for detergent or car insurance was interupted by a giant cockroach walking across the screen? Einstein thought it was a real (12 inch long) cockroach and threw his shoe at it - thereby destroying his CRT television. (Of course if it had been a real roach throwing his shoe still would have destroyed his TV and still made him and idiot, but there would have been no one to sue. :))

Regards,

Joe

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was watching something on MSNBC last night about all the things that we are losing because of frivoulous lawsuits. For example, it was mentioned that diving boards are going to be gone in swimming pools both public and private. Playgrounds won't have Monkey Bars anymore. There were some other things, but I can't remember what they were. They told a story about how someone slipped after going on the teacups ride at Disney World. That person did not sue, but it freaked Disney out enough to slow the ride down. It's just too friggin easy in this country to sue for ridiculous things. Just another way society is relieving us of personal responsibility.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to vote for the next president purely on his/her stance of ridiculous lawsuits, and how (s)he will set-up a system by which they are A: thrown out of court and B:The plantiff is punished.

Also: A cap on personal injury lawsuits.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
OK, this guy is a nutcase moneygrubber.

... But NBC's handling of Fear Factor does piss me off. First off, I don't watch it and from the little I've seen I don't want to watch it. But on every commercial for this lame show (while watching say Scrubs) I am forced to watch a little piece of it which grosses me out. I don't think NBC should be sued for it, but it would be really nice to save the visual grossness of FF for those that choose to tune in to the show. Spare the rest of us having to watch it as well, we don't want to see it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to sue the WWE. Why? Because I watched WWE Smackdown tonight and it felt like a complete waste of time, and time is money. So a 2 hour show...that should be worth something like 2 billion dollars. Oh, and for those of you that say I should have just changed the channel, well I couldn't because my friend had the remote and would only flip during commercials. In response to this, I am also suing him...and if the lawyer I want to take this case laughs in my face, I am going to sue him or her as well.

and if the judge throws out my lawsuit for being a pointless stupid farse...then his ass is getting sued as well for emotional trama which was caused by his ruling against me. I am not afraid to sue everyone up to the supreme court if necessary and the United Nations better not do anything to anger me...ah hell, I'll sue them anyway just to complete the set.

If you didn't enjoy this post...

If You didn't find it funny...

well then...

consider yourself sued

and if you did laugh at it...

Well then you're sued as well
because you will have to prove that you are laughing with me not at me.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Thomas, thanks for that link. :laugh:

I haven't seen that sketch in a long time. Having the transcript is the next best thing. I like this part too:

[ cut to a Woman on the street ]

Woman: I'd love to sue somebody, but don't I need a reason?

[ cut back to Barry Green's law office ]

Barry Green: Myth #8: In order to be successful, a lawsuit must have merit. False.

How true.

Joe, wow! How did that one turn out? Did the judge throw him out of court? I think I remember that one but I'm not completely sure.

Casey, I think your suit would have merit these days.;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Dave, for thinking that my stupid lawsuit would have merit...you are also sued...however, because these kinds of lawsuits really piss me off, I have also decided that I must sue myself for causing me a lot of stress and pissing myself off.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Casey, your TV doesn't have channel buttons on the set? With the remote gone (or with dead batteries) - if you're too lazy to get up to change the channel or turn it off, then how are you going to get up the energy to see an attorney? :)

Sue me. I dare you. I double-dare you.

Glenn

Dave Farley

Second Unit

:D

I once considered suing myself after I ate a bad Whopper at BK years ago. I was sick for days and figured I could get a bundle out of myself for negligence in causing severe pain and suffering.;)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Back in college, a girl I worked with accused me of sexual harrassment because I chuckled at a joke she told about menstruation during our lunch break. I'm still not entirely sure if she was upset that I laughed, or becuase I didn't laugh as heartily as the women at the table. She hired a lawyer and was intent on suing me and my employer for the affront against her. Her lawyer met with my boss's lawyer, then backed out of the case, telling her she was being a little ridiculous. She decided not to pursue it further, but then threatened to sue my boss again a week later after they fired her. That one didn't go anywhere, either.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Wait a minute. Let me get this very straight.

SHE told a joke about menstruation in public. YOU sort of chuckled, trying to blend in with the group and pretend it was a normal situation to witness. While other (female) members of the group were laughing out loud. Then SHE sued YOU for the "affront"?

Please, educate me, for I occasionally visit the US and although I do not plan to take a job, I would hate to behave uneducated.
What's a normal pc male employee in the US supposed to do in a pc office when his pc female co-workers start to tell pc jokes about menstruation, coïtus interruptus and fellatio, show their genitals at the luncheon table and/or lose a tampon, she is using, in public?

Oh, wait, I already know the last one. I've been told, years ago already, that a real gentleman in a situation like that would, of course, pretend his nose was bleeding.

But, please, enlighten me about the other cases! I'd hate to get sued for affront.

Cees

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"show their genitals at the luncheon table"

Whatever you do, DON'T open your lunch and scream "MMMmmm tasty muffin Yuumm!"

That's sure to get you sued.

Don't speak, don't look up from your lunch, don't eat anything(may contain nuts!) and most of all DON'T laugh at the stupid Politically correct people that seem to be everywhere.

Don't say "I", is exclusionary.

Don't say "we" unless you plan on including everybody in the office.

Brent

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you. Let's sue this guy for being a moron.

It sucks that more people don't have the time and energy to do something about these people, but I guess that's why we have frivolous law suits, because the people who pursue them have WAY too much time and energy to put into something this ridiculous. :rolleyes:

p.s. I once got food poisoning from a restaurant. Did I sue? NO! I just never went back there. DONE AND FREAKIN' DONE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks