What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (2 Viewers)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I just figured out the whole Movies Anywhere thing today, and didn't really want to read through all 39 pages on this topic. I never really had use for digital copies until I realized that I could access them through my Amazon Fire devices, which means I can watch them on the TVs that don't have blu-ray players hooked up.

I have several blu-rays that came with digital copies on physical discs (for example, X-Men First Class and Despicable Me). Just typing in the code to Movies Anywhere or Vudu doesn't work to add them to the collection. Is there a way to redeem the digital copy and add it to MA? Perhaps by using itunes?
Did you try going to the studio site specified on the insert, like foxredeem.com?

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Yeah, the codes don't work by themselves, and there was no way to get the website to acknowledge the disc.

I bit the bullet and downloaded itunes last night. I got most of the codes to work that way. Zombieland wouldn't work for some reason. I don't know what was going on with Despicable Me, but I have a disc for a digital copy that was in a sleeve inside of the blu-ray case, but there is no code or an insert.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The codes usually have a "use by" date. I've found that sometimes the code works past the date specified, sometimes not.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
What's odd is that I never got a "code is expired" message for any of the movies.

For Despicable Me, I finally got the disc to open on my desktop and when I clicked on the link to transfer digital copy, it did show a message that it was not available after 2014. I think that one is just chalked up to no one knew how to properly serve the digital copy audience until now.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've only seen the expiration date on the fine print on the hard copy insert. IME, the code just doesn't work if it's expired, without any helpful feedback as to why, but usually with an older movie, I check the date first, try the code, and then if it doesn't work I chalk it up to expiration.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
It has been an intense learning curve the last day or so, as I was never really interested in digital copies before. I had tried to pull the digital copies off of the physical discs of the Back to the Future trilogy years ago, just to store on my hard drive, but it didn't work.

Yesterday, I got to thinking that there should be a way to access the digital copies through my Amazon Fire devices. After all, since I purchased the disc, I should be able to stream it somehow. I started my google searching, and landed on Movies Anytime, which led to me signing up for so many movie based accounts yesterday. And then it was so easy to just start typing codes in.

Today was getting the physical disc digital copies to work, and most of them did, even though they were all older.

Meanwhile, I also stumbled onto Sony and Disney reward programs, and might be getting some free movies out of the deal.

I'm still very much a supporter of physical media, because I don't want studios to change their minds about what I own or have rights to. But having the digital copy is great to access on any TV in my house without needing to hook up a blu-ray player, or just to have some extra content to have on in the bedroom while falling asleep.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
It has been an intense learning curve the last day or so, as I was never really interested in digital copies before. I had tried to pull the digital copies off of the physical discs of the Back to the Future trilogy years ago, just to store on my hard drive, but it didn't work.

Yesterday, I got to thinking that there should be a way to access the digital copies through my Amazon Fire devices. After all, since I purchased the disc, I should be able to stream it somehow. I started my google searching, and landed on Movies Anytime, which led to me signing up for so many movie based accounts yesterday. And then it was so easy to just start typing codes in.

Today was getting the physical disc digital copies to work, and most of them did, even though they were all older.

Meanwhile, I also stumbled onto Sony and Disney reward programs, and might be getting some free movies out of the deal.

I'm still very much a supporter of physical media, because I don't want studios to change their minds about what I own or have rights to. But having the digital copy is great to access on any TV in my house without needing to hook up a blu-ray player, or just to have some extra content to have on in the bedroom while falling asleep.

My experience was pretty much the same when MA was launched. I much prefer the superior quality of physical media, but once I started actually using the codes that were sitting in my disc cases, I found myself with an impressive digital library that I can easily watch on either MA, Amazon, Vudu, or iTunes. (I have no interest in Google for whatever reason). I have found the digital library is fun for just popping to a favorite scenes from a specific movie. However, if i want to watch a film from start to finish, I will still take the extra few minutes to pull my disc off the shelf and enjoy the best possible quality presentation that my set-up has to offer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
iTunes is running 10 Iconic Films Bundle for 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990;s & 2000's. $19.99 for each decade of films in HD.

I bought the 1950's which has the following films:
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Country Girl
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sabrina
Sunset Boulevard
To Catch a Thief
War and Peace
Houseboat
A Place in the Sun
Funny Face

I'm thinking of buying the 1960's bundle which has:
The Odd Couple
Alfie
The Italian Job
Barbarella
Hud
Barefoot in the Park
Breakfast at Tiffany's
In Harm's Way
True Grit
The Nutty Professor

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
iTunes is running 10 Iconic Films Bundle for 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990;s & 2000's. $19.99 for each decade of films in HD.

The Country Girl
Sabrina
Sunset Boulevard
To Catch a Thief
War and Peace
Houseboat
A Place in the Sun
Funny Face

The Odd Couple
Alfie
The Italian Job
Barbarella
Hud
Barefoot in the Park
Breakfast at Tiffany's
In Harm's Way
True Grit
The Nutty Professor
Most of those are Paramount titles, so those would not be Movies Anywhere eligible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most of those are Paramount titles, so those would not be Movies Anywhere eligible.
I believe all are Paramount titles, but that doesn't make a difference to me for that price point. Invasion of the Body Snatchers was released on BD from Olive, but through Paramount. Also, I have to assume Paramount will become part of Movies Anywhere one day.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are HD transfers of The Greatest Show on Earth and The Country Girl?
Yes, and I watched The Greatest Show on Earth last night and I was pleased with it as it seem to look a lot better than the last time I watched it on Amazon Video some years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Vudu was having two for $9.99 sale yesterday and I bought a few titles that would migrate over to MA.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

The Country Girl
Sabrina
Sunset Boulevard
To Catch a Thief
War and Peace
Houseboat
A Place in the Sun
Funny Face

The Odd Couple
Alfie
The Italian Job
Barbarella
Hud
Barefoot in the Park
Breakfast at Tiffany's
In Harm's Way
True Grit
The Nutty Professor
I think I bought them all. Even tho I own a few already it was still worth it to buy the bundle for the ones I didn’t have.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also bought the Scream films bundle. 4 films for $9.99

Also the Tarantino bundle. 6 films for $19.99

And the Star Trek original films bundle. 10 films for $49.99

What pushed me over is all the great iTunes extras that come with many of the films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also bought the Scream films bundle. 4 films for $9.99

Also the Tarantino bundle. 6 films for $19.99

And the Star Trek original films bundle. 10 films for $49.99

What pushed me over is all the great iTunes extras that come with many of the films.
I bought that bundle last week.

Those iTunes extras have been a factor in my purchasing decisions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks