Announcements for Jaws 3, Universal's Jaws 4, M*A*S*H S4, &Transformers S2 Pt. 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Lambert, Mar 18, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

...all added to DVDPlanet today:

4/22 - $59.95 SRP Transformers Season 2 Part 2
    (all 4 discs also available separately on the same day for $19.95 SRP each)

6/3 - $19.98 SRP Jaws 3
    (16x9, does not say "3-D", sorry)

6/3 - $19.98 SRP Jaws 4: The Revenge
    (16x9 Universal release to displace the old Goodtimes release)

7/15 - $39.98 SRP M*A*S*H Season 4
    (still with or w/out laugh track)

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I wonder if Universal will release JAWS: THE REVENGE in its original theatrical version for this dvd. ALL previous home video versions have the alternate ending, which made this bad movie even worse. I would purchase it (being the JAWS fanatic that I am) only if it contains the original version. There's no other reason to replace the GoodTimes dvd, since it's a very nice non-anamorphic transfer.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I knew there was a reason I kept passing on the GoodTimes version of J4.

This film had so much promise, and they were on the right track (i.e. "less is more") with the well-executed opening attack in Amity, then someone decided that the shark should have as much screen time as possible and it veered into comedy as the shark looked ridiculous.

It's almost like one director shot the opening scenes in Amity, then another director took over for the rest of the film. [​IMG]

4. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

If they're using the same 16:9 master for the international DVDs of JAWS THE REVENGE, it'll be the extended video version.

Just curious -- why do you hate the alternate ending so much? All it is is 30 seconds of (SPOILER) Van Peebles still being alive at the end of the film...all the inane slow-motion confrontation with the shark remains exactly the same. Now THAT'S something that should have been re-shot! [​IMG]

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It's not the same ending at all. In the video version, the shark illogically explodes (shown via possibly the worst miniature shot I've ever seen), and in the original, it just sinks slowly downwards into the sea.

I hope to God the original theatrical version will be on the disc. If it is, I'm getting it!

The best print of the film that I've ever seen is held by the BBC - it's the original theatrical version (with the "sad" ending, though Mario van Peebles' death was an unexpected bonus for me) and has been opened up to show the full super-35 frame, so in nearly every shot involving the shark, its underside is clearly hollow, with plenty of machinery inside, as well as the equipment used to propel the shark along trailing behind.

In this particular instance, I'd definitely advocate the MAR version over the widescreen! It sinks the film down to a whole new level of ineptness!

I'm mildly embarrassed to have started this thread over at the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback forum, but, by all means, add your comments and support!

6. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

The video ending for Jaws The Revenge is horrible.

I've seen the "original" ending on HBO when it first aired. As far as I remember, it doesn't re-use any footage from the first movie like the video ending. The video ending is just hideous. The original was a much more satisfying ending to a mediocre movie.

7. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Aaah, OK, now I remember! Actually, they're both pretty bad, though the one with flashback footage IS worse than the other -- I actually want to see the version you described with the machinery hanging out!! [​IMG]

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Awwww! That just blows! Why couldn't they have done a double sided disc with 3-D on one side and a 2-D version on the other?!

Tis still a guilty pleasure, but so much more pleasurable in 3-D.

9. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The ONLY thing JAWS 3-D has going for it is 3-D.

Since Universal sanctioned a good quality 3-D home version over a decade ago in Japan, and bootleggers have been making a fortune on it ever since, why they aren't putting the original 3-D version on the disc as well as a flat version I can't imagine. There are already field sequential 3-D DVDs out there from SlingShot, and glasses and systems can easily be found (and are selling quite well) at brick and mortar and one-line retailers.

I guess all the 3-D fans will just have make do with the older 3-D transfer if we want to see the stereoscopic version at home.

And, yes, a flat version of JAWS 3-D is modified from its original version. The film was released in 3-D in nearly a thousand US theatres in 1983 (that was a lot then) and only a very, very small number of venues played it flat.
    I do think some small foreign markets played it flat as well, but this film was intended to and did play 99% of its theatrical bookings in 3-D.

Still, even in 3-D, it wasn't very good. It was an excellent concept, and the title is one of the best ever, but the director and cinematographer were not the right choices for this project. Some of the special effects were left unfinished in the final cut!

The film utilized the polarized (clear gray) lenses glasses. Don't be confused if you find red/blue glasses witht he film's logo on them. These came with posters and gumcards used to promote the film. A red/blue downconversion was prepared a couple of years ago for broadcast in Poland, however. While this option would be easier to do at home, I'm glad Universal did not release IT on DVD.

10. David Lambert

Guys, I don't know that it will or won't be 3-D. All I said was that it did not SAY one way or the other! [​IMG]

It's part of their June "Unleash the Beasts" promo. Here is the cover art:

[​IMG]

11. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

Jaws 3 and 4 are already available in Europe since two years I Think.

We have 16X9, 2.35 tranfers and Trailer as extras.

I hope that the Region 1 DVD of Jaws 3 will be in 3D

12. Steve Phillips

Since the original title of the film is JAWS 3-D, and the DVD carries the retitled JAWS 3 tag, I think it is safe to say were going to get the same flat version released in other regions.

If Universal put a surprise "easter egg" 3-D version on there, I'd be the first one to write them a complimentary letter!

Hey at least we're getting some HULK stuff from them....

13. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Ugh...

Those covers...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Gag me with a spoon. [​IMG]

14. Jon Robertson

The covers are fine - I just want some specs!

15. Steve Phillips

On the subject of the fourth film; isn't it strange that US TV airings of the film use the original theatrical ending, while the VHS/laser and Goodtimes DVD use the re-shot/re-edited European ending..

Neither one makes a lick of sense!

While JAWS 3-D was inept; JAWS: THE REVENGE is downright funny. What, no commentary by Michael Caine?!?

16. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

The Jaws 3 cover completes me. That's how you do a cover. You take some of the original production or poster art and then you photoshop it up with those striking, modern colors.

I've been waiting for this for some time. The other two Jaws sequels are just inferior copies of the original. But this was something really original. This is real science fiction. That tunnel built underneath the lagoon kicks arse! I wish the real Sea World was that cool. Add in a hot looking, young Lea Thompson, some water, and you're good to go!

The "-D" was just a bonus. The "3" is where the magic is at brother!

A 3-D Ultimate Edition would be cool at some point though. Maybe this will come out when the "Alan Smithee" DUNE Ultimate Edition does, sometime in 2015.

THE THIRD DIMENSION IS TERROR!

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I may pick up the Jaws titles for completeness sake, but am I the only one that thinks a $19.95 retail price is just too much for these films. They are calling out for a 14.99 or 9.99 retail price.

J

18. Jon Robertson

Agreed, Larry. Jaws 3 is by far the best of the sequels and a damn entertaining film in its own right. Part 2 just goes on and on and on, with far too little shark, and Jaws The Revenge is hysterically appalling.

19. David Lambert

Agreed that Jaws 3 is the best of the sequels. Would like to see it in 3-D myself.

Maybe there is some hope after all!...

20. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I saw it in 3-D at The Bloor in Toronto a couple of years ago. It adds a whole new dimension to its awfulness. [​IMG]