What's new

Anniversary tie-ins you expect and/or hope for in 2006 (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I've heard there's gonna be ANOTHER Rocky box set.
Taxi Driver SB would be awesome as the Japanese version is suppossed to look better than the R1.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see the following but I know won't happen.

25th anniversary edition of Heavy Metal

20th anniversary edition of Cobra, Raw Deal, Stand by Me & Lucas

20th anniversary edition of Rad (first DVD release)

20th anniversary edition of Tough Guys (which initially would be the first DVD release, this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies from when I was a kid)

15th anniversary of Terminator 2 (I know it would be like the 4th release but its a all time favorite), Point Break (needs a new release & a better transfer), The Last Boy Scout (needs a new release & a better transfer), Toy Soldiers (needs a wide-screen release) & Stone Cold (first DVD release)

10th anniversary of Kingpin (needs a new release & a better transfer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Considering they just put out a new edition of Stand by Me this year, I don't see much point in a 20th anniversary edition.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Some good suggestions here.:D

I'd love to see a 16x9 Scream, Who's Afraid Of Virginia
Woolf, a remastered Great Expectations (the current bare
bones Criterion looks pretty bad), and a re-issued Point
Break with a less grainy transfer and some decent extras
(the "featurette" on the current DVD is a joke). We also
need to see a decent Arthur remaster- I'd buy that in a
heartbeat.

Haden

Supporting Actor

I'd buy it if they'd finally do special editions of these movies. I've read about deleted scenes from Rocky 2 and 3 that I'd like to finally see, and I'm sure the other films had some too. Would be nice to get some decent commentary tracks on at least the first three films. The last box set was originally expected to have some bonus features and it turned out to be a pointless re-release that disappointed many. Maybe the 3rd time would be the charm.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I second Forbidden Planet (50th) , Escape From LA (10th), and The Three Amigos (20th). :D

We could also go for a 10th anniversay Ghost and the Darkness. Great film with amazing sound, but sadly not 16x9.

I'm quite happy with the transfers on Point Break and The Last Boyscout...especially considering what I paid for them.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Whose Life Is It Anyway? (2-discs with the colour version and the unreleased black and white version with different takes; commentary by John Badham; interviews with John Badham, Richard Dreyfuss, Christine Lahti, Bob Balaban; trailers)

Prince of the City (Commentary by Sidney Lumet)

Southern Comfort (Commentary by Walter Hill and Keith Carradine; interviews; trailers)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'll be happy with....

The Maltese Falcon (65th) - Hopefully a good commentary, some remedies to the dupe/decomposing segments on the transfer, and other versions of the film.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (50th) - Finally get the Academy Ratio format the movie was shot in, utilize the original negative, commentary by Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter... also, it would probably good to have a short featurette on the SuperScope version, pointing out that it wasn't intended until after shooting. Perhaps with seamless branching, we can have both the original cut and the released version with the opening/closing scenes.

And we know The Searchers (50th) and The Big Parade (80th) are coming next year.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
PatrickMcCart, wrote:
Hear, hear!

I take it that we are all waiting for Paramount to announce a slew of Republic titles in early 2006 and redeem all of Artisan's sins.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I was going to say Ferris Bueller, but I don't have to anymore! :)

I would definitely like a 30th AE of Taxi Driver.

How about a re-issue from Fox on the 2-disc The French Connection?

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Branagh's Hamlet will be ten years old in 2006. Seems like the right time to finally get this film on DVD.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
15 Year anniversary of "Bis Ans Ende Der Welt" (Until the End of the World) - I'm grateful to own the European 6 Hour rendition which is a haunting story, much better then the schlocked together US version. Wim Wenders has been unable to get it released here. Next year would be as good as any to see this masterpiece released in the states on Region 1.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Definitely add me to the list of those wanting an anamorphic SCREAM 10th Aniversary Edition. I loved that movie in high school...it was just one of those things that everyone went and saw multiple times. Not that it is really a GREAT movie of anything, but I certainly enjoyed it and would love to see it get a proper SE. I cannot believe it has been almost 10 years!

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Hamlet is scheduled for a 10th anniversary release in 2006 already.

No kidding. I was a freshmen in college and it was insane how many people were going to see that every weekend after it came out. I saw it 3 different times with various friends because it was a really good movie with crowds.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
The anniversary that I am really looking forward to this year is Billy Wilder's centennial. He would be 100 this June. We saw various boxed sets and theatrical retrospectives duing the Hitchcock and Ozu centennials, and I'm hoping that Wilder gets the same treatment.

Wilder's properties are primarily held by four distributors:

1. MGM/UA (Sony) - All of the films that he made for the Mirisch company are here, and this is the bulk of his output. MGM released a box several years ago. Most of the transfers are fine, but only Some Like it Hot and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes have significant supplements. The one transfer that is most definitely not fine is The Apartment. Wilder's masterpiece deserves much better.

2. Universal - They hold Wilder's earliest American films via their acquisition of the early Paramount library. Titles include: The Major and the Minor, Five Graves to Cairo, Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, The Emperor Waltz, and A Foreign Affair. Not surprisingly, Universal has done a pretty awful job of bringing Wilder to DVD. Only an ugly, empty, and out-of-print disc of Double Indemnity (via license to Image Entertainment) and a mediocre disc of The Lost Weekend ever made it to market. Criterion is now giving the coveted "we hope to release some Wilder in the future, but nothing is certain at this time" response. In Mulvanese, this means that they have the rights to something, but it's not done yet. All signs point to any Criterion Wilder coming from the Universal holdings. Of course Double Indemnity is most likely, but multiple titles could appear in a box set. A Criterion set would also be a good place for his short film "Death Mills," and Volker Schlondorff's series of interviews with him from German television. Universal also has The Front Page from Wilder's later period. The disc's contents are slight, but the transfer is fine, and it's inexpensive.

3. Warner Warner's Wilder output has also been sparse , especially for a studio that generally excels across the board. This may be explained by the quality of the films that they hold. Their Love in the Afternoon disc is fine, but has no supplements (the ugly cover art and snapper packaging don't help). They have The Spirit of St. Louis scheduled for 2006, most likely as part of a Jimmy Stewart collection. The two titles which they said in the last chat they have no plans for yet are Buddy, Buddy (acquired from MGM) and Fedora (acquired from Lorimar?).

4. Paramount - Paramount has already announced a re-release of their Wilder collection with an upgraded version of Stalag 17 (and the extant versions of Sunset Blvd. and Sabrina). Inexplicably, they still aren't including Ace in the Hole. Hopefully, they will remedy that situation before the year is out.

Here's hoping for four great box sets of Wilder to finally do his ouvre justice on DVD in 2006.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I'd like The Cable Guy 10th Annaversary. I'm not sure if I imagined it, but I think I've read a Ben Stiller quote saying he'd be interested in a SE of it. It's deffinatly Jim Carrey's most underrated movie.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
A 16X9 of Scream and an anniversary release of the original The Invasion of the Body Snatchers would be a great way to start things off . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks