What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anchor Bay Press Release: Roseanne: Season One (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I've had a review copy for 2 weeks, I mentioned it before. The average episode runs about 21:50. Nothing above 22 minutes. It's been 16 years so I've forgotten just about everything from the broadcast episodes so I'm not sure what's missing, but a few of the cuts are pretty obvious. The most obvious being that the "back from break" parts start during a scene instead of like the original versions that would have a few seconds of the blues music playing while showing scenery outside the Conner's house or wherever the scene was to take place.

However, as it's been 16-17 years since season 1 aired, I wonder if the end credits played over theme music, or if they aired over the tag scenes. The second episode of the set (which has the most obvious scene cut as well) runs the end credits through a "ending credit theme music" style ending, while all but 1 or 2 of the rest of the episodes run over a tag scene. So you never know, maybe the 30 second closing credit music was some of the missing footage, in that case it's probably not as bad as it seemed. I remember the last few seasons ending with tag scenes, but they were far more commonplace in 1995 than they were in 1989.

Regardless, Roseanne is my #2 favorite show of all time and I'm still happy to have it on DVD anyways, at least I can start getting rid of my Nick At Nite tapes. I hope everything will be fixed by the time the show gets into it's better seasons.

Douglas M

Grip
I grew up watching the syndicated episodes of the show and especially saw the first season many times because I'd managed to tape them all. One channel here in Canada actually used to show the originally aired versions of the episodes and I managed to tape them too. Actually, they cut stuff out as well for time, but they did it themselves (and pretty crudely.) so there were just different scenes missing. Usually they would just cut to a commercial early or return late. The original credits were intact and there were LOTS of scenes and jokes tha I'd never seen before. I haven't watched them in a couple years (because I've been waiting for the uncut DVDs :angry:), but I'm sure watching them again I'd be able to pick-out what parts were missing from the syndicated cuts. I also have some of the Columbia House videos which are uncut versions. If someone wants I can try to find all three versions and do a comparison. They're all packed away in boxes from when I moved last, but I'm sure I'd find them in a day or three. :)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

Carsey-Werner's already said that they are going to supply correct masters for the rest of the Cosby and Roseanne seasons because they didn't expect the backlash over them. (what, did they not pay attention to ALF?)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
OH MY GOD! That would be SOOOOO Freakin awesome if it were true!!!

Please, oh please let it be true!!!!!!!!!!! Hang your head in shame!

p.s. Question: If you knew that all future Roseanne sets were 'uncut', would you buy the first (hacked) set because of the 'completist' in you?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

somebody on Sitcoms Online posted a response letter he got from C/W where they said after the backlash over season 1 of both Cosby and Roseanne that they are going to supply the correct uncut episodes for the rest of both series.

Douglas M

Grip
Even if they do, it still doesn't excuse them for releasing seasons 1 like that. I'm still going to demand the RErelease Season 1 uncut. Hail it as a "Super Special Extended Edition" or whatever they need to do, but goddammit I want the first season of Roseanne uncut on DVD! It's my favorite season of the show.

BTW, I strangely found all three of my Roseanne tapes pretty quick. I should have a complete rundown of all the cuts in the pilot later today. It's too bad I can't confirm that I've got the same syndicated cut as the DVDs, but I'm not going to give in and buy the butchered set.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Jay_B! said:

Where did Carsey-Werner say this? TvShowsOnDvd.com posted the news that they were working on securing rights to the original broadcast (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3996), but it was in reference to Anchor Bay not Carsey-Werner. As far as I know Carsey-Werner has not said one thing about this issue. Do you have proof Carsey-Werner is working on securing the original broadcast? I hope so!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Until recently I had every original episode of Roseanne on tape from the ABC airings. I got rid of them once I heard that "The Big R" was coming to DVD. I assumed the releases would be uncut. D'oh !

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I hope it's all true. I honestly view season 1 as the weakest season of the entire series (season 9 is much-hated but I've grown quite fond of it) and if seasons 2-9 are uncut, I won't feel bad about season 1 having edits.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

Wow, you are really onto something. While I think the idea of commercials on TV Show DVDs is absurd, look at cable TV: In the beginning, you paid for it and didn't have commercials. Now you pay even more for it and it has commercials now. If they use that model, they could start to put commercials on DVDs. They put trailers from other movies on DVD, why not commercials? It's happening in movie theaters, too. It will be a sad day if the studios think people will put up with this.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's true! Some dvds have commercials already. Remember when Top Gun came out on VHS with a pepsi commercial?

:frowning: d

Logos will be next. Watch....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks