What's new

Anchor Bay Press Release: Roseanne: Season One (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TV’s Favorite Domestic Goddess Makes Her DVD Debut

From Anchor Bay Entertainment and Carsey Werner

ROSEANNE

SEASON ONE

Available August 30th,

The Four-Disc Set will Include the Pilot Episode and an

All-New Interview with Roseanne

TORONTO ON – Anchor Bay Entertainment and Carsey Werner proudly present Roseanne -Season One on DVD for the first time ever on August 30. This award-winning and ground-breaking series aired for nine seasons on ABC capturing the hearts of critics and fans alike. Roseanne - Season One will feature all 23 episodes in a four-disc set, including the pilot and an all-new interview with Roseanne.

Set on 714 Delaware Street in the fictional city of Lanford, Illinois, Roseanne exploded onto the scene in 1988 and was immediately considered one of the most honest family comedies ever to air on network television. Roseanne was hailed for its realistic portrayal of the working class Conner family trying to keep it all together and make ends meet through lots of laughter and let-downs. With a biting sense of humor that always had an undercurrent of love, Roseanne shot to the top of the charts, ranking number two of all shows in the Nielsen Ratings during its first year.

Roseanne - Season One is loaded with bonus-materials including “Roseanne on Roseanne,” a brand-new interview with the show’s star. The set also contains hilarious bloopers, Season One highlights and an interview with co-star John Goodman entitled “John Goodman Takes a Look Back.” In addition, Roseanne - Season One will include “Wisdom from the Domestic Goddess,” packed with Roseanne’s witty one-liners from the show.

Much of the show’s success is credited to its Emmy-winning star and executive producer, Roseanne, whose unique and honest humor was a refreshing change to the sitcom landscape of the late 1980’s. Roseanne developed her character Roseanne Conner by touching on many of her own real life experiences. Through all of Roseanne Conner’s sarcasm and bossy demeanor you never doubted the love she had for her family. The series was groundbreaking in its portrayal of average working people who did not have the traditional “Hollywood glamour” look, and its handling of realistic and taboo issues such as, poverty, homosexuality, alcoholism, child-rearing, marriage, unemployment and birth control.

Roseanne’s amazing cast included: the prolific Emmy-nominated and Golden Globe- winning-actor, John Goodman (O’Brother, Where Art Thou) who played Roseanne’s husband and champion, Dan; Emmy-winning actress, Laurie Metcalf (Uncle Buck) played Roseanne’s sister and confidant, Jackie; the Conner’s oldest and boy-crazed daughter, Becky, was played by Alicia Goranson (Boys Don't Cry); the quick-witted and formidable middle child, Darlene, was portrayed by Sara Gilbert (“24”) and Michael Fishman (Artificial Intelligence: AI) played DJ, the youngest of the Conner bunch. Season One guest stars include George Clooney (Ocean's Twelve) and Fred Dalton Thomas ("Law & Order: Trial by Jury").

Carsey Werner has been known globally for almost 25 years as one of the leading independent television studios in the business. With current hit, “That ‘70s Show,” classics such as “Roseanne,” “3RD Rock From The Sun,” and “The Cosby Show,” as well as a library of award-winning hits that include, “A Different World,” “Grace Under Fire,” “Cybill” and “Cosby,” Carsey Werner programs can be seen and heard in over 175 countries and in 50 different languages.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish the bumpers were included as an extra...."We'll be right back....if you're lucky!"

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
crosses fingers than Anchor Bay does this one right, Roseanne is definately in my top 3 series ever

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
My (potential) worry lies with Carsey Werner, since we don't know who's to blame for The Cosby Show's cuts. I hope that case belonged to Urbanworks/Ventura and not Carsey Werner.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Bought 3rd Rock From the Sun (an Anchor Bay release) the other day and there seems to be more bonus features on the DVD sets bought from Best Buy. An exclusive version only for Best Buy. Anyone know if Roseanne is coming this way too?

As for the syndicated question, the box for Roseanne says "Complete 1st Season" so hopefully that may be an indication that it will be uncut. The Cosby Show says "Season 1", which is unfortunate.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
ALF says Complete First Season, as well. Dawson's Creek says "Complete Fifth Season". In other words: "Complete xx Season" don't mean sh*t. :frowning:

Chris

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this for YEARS. One of my all time faves. PLEASE release these uncut and if not, a message will be sent. We will NOT buy this. We will go to Amazon ASAP and overload it with "reviews" stating this as has been done with Cosby and hopefully dissuade others from buying it.
It's just bewildering. If the originals exist, why on earth would studios knowingly release cut versions of ANY show unless there were music rights issues? To save space on the discs themselves? I mean, the LOGICAL thing to do to get the average person to cough up the dough for TV shows on DVD would be to PROMOTE the fact that the versions on TV in syndication are edited. And if you someone wants them UNEDITED, buying the DVD set is the only way to go. Imagine this say, a commercial....................
"Oooooh, honey! Roseanne is out on DVD! We HAVE to get this!"
"So what? It's on TV 5x a day. Why on earth would you want to buy it?"
" But look. It's UNCUT! There are scenes in these eps. that haven't been shown for years! It's my favorite show!"
"Well, alright."

All marketing people, this advertising suggestion is on the house.

:)
Keeping fingers tightly crossed.

John*P

Second Unit
Well, the official site at Anchor Bay says the run time is 2020 minutes...obviously a typo. Some other sites say 1515...another typo. But then, other sites, including DeepDiscountDVD, have the run time at 505 minutes. If that is accurate, then it must mean the episodes are the syndication prints. Episodes from 1988-1989 should be about 24 minutes long...24 x 23 = 552. However, 22 x 23 = 506. I really hope that 505 info is a typo like the 2020 and 1515 run times, but if not... :angry: :angry: :angry:

John*P

Second Unit
BTW, I have to laugh when the Roseanne cast is mentioned towards the end of the above press release. Michael Fishman was in A.I. for like 10 seconds. (I don't even remember if he had a line?) Laurie Metcalf from Uncle Buck? I think she was in one small scene, and that movie is like 16 years old. I would have went with Scream 2 myself, but eh...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
They should have put "Toy Story" for Laurie. :)

She had a couple of decent scenes in Uncle Buck... definitely not a main character though. About as much screentime as Scream 2 honestly.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I just emailed Anchor Bay to finally put to rest the question of whether the episodes would be syndicated or full versions. Sorry, bad news, the response I got was ....

"The release will be of the syndicated version."

I hope that's a mistake! I won't be purchasing this DVD set now.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator

No way! That's got to be a mistake. Does anyone have any screener/review copies yet?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
If this turns out to be true I'll cancel without hesitation. Here's hoping for some reliable pre-release reviews.

Chris

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I sent the news to TvShowsOnDvd.com and they confirmed it. They found out that Carsey-Werner released the syndicated prints to Anchor Bay. They are trying to get Anchor Bay to make a press release about it and to see if there is anyway to fix this. Here's hoping.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
they just lost my sale.
this has to stop.
does roseanne know about this? what does she think?
and once again, why would anyone need to buy the same edited shows that are on six times a day? By making them uncut and PROMOTING them as such, they could sell a TON more. It's just plain idiotic.

i am pissed. really pissed. i've been looking forward to this for years. Didn't time/life or some company sell these eps. on VHS? Were they edited too? If not then it's crap. It also means that we'll probably NEVER get to see these uncut ever again. Unless someone has them on VHS from the original broadcasts.

if this is so, let's go to amazon ASAP and warn people.

this has to stop.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Depressing.

Also: Cancelled.

I remember Carsey-Werner holding back on releasing their shows to DVD because they were looking for the right distributor(s) to team up with. Too bad that Carsey-Werner turn out to be the weak link in all this.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks