What's new

Anchor Bay Press Release: Roseanne: Season One (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I watched 8 episodes yesterday. I would've loved them being full-length, but you know, I was still able to enjoy them despite the cuts, even tho a few of the cuts are painfully obvious (like in the second episode, when it fades from Jackie saying "shut up!!" to Roseanne in the store selling perfume), and also several of the "back from commercial" break scenes didn't use the bluesy transitional music with the still scenery photos, they just come back right in the middle of a scene.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
MAN, I SOOOOO would LOVE to have a good unedited DVD set of ROSEANNE right now! I would pay more $$$ than they're asking even. But hey, that's me.
But I'm NOT gonna buy this set. To quote "Big Worm" from "FRIDAY"

"It's the PRINCIPALITY of the thang!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So it's not Anchor Bay's fault, but Carsey-Werner's. Interesting why they would contractually forbid them to release uncut episodes. What content in the network versions could be problematic?

Or maybe it would violate an existing contract with Columbia House, whose releases of this (and Cosby Show) are presumably unedited.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I just went to Columbia House's website and there is NO trace of the older ROSEANNE VHS's. Interesting since they DO still have VHS series of shows that later came out on DVD like "All in The Family" and "Star Trek" TNG...

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed the suggestion of releasing unedited episodes to Anchor Bay. Here's their response...

"The licensor of the show, Carsey-Werner has only granted permission for DVD distribution of the syndicated version. If we were permitted to purchase the rights to the "uncut" version, we certainly would have. Unfortunately, there is nothing further Anchor Bay can do. The decision to release an uncut version lies with Carsey-Werner."

So, Anchor Bay WANTS TO AND WOULD release unedited episodes, but Carsey-Werner won't let them. Anyone know how to contact Carsey-Werner?! We should overflow their mailboxes with requests - let our voices be heard! Anyone know?

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
Since Carsey-Werner also is (I believe) the holder of rights to The Cosby Show, does this mean neither of these shows will ever be released uncut?

Ben_D

Agent
Has Roseanne herself said anything about this? Doesn't she have a website? I can't believe, knowing how much she fought with the powers that be while her show was on, that she wouldn't be vocal and take some kind of stand on this herself if she knew her fans were upset. I know she doesn't have control over anything Carsey-Werner does, but surely her complaints would get a lot more attention than those of a few fans from a website.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I always thought Anchor Bay had more artistic integrity than that. The Anchor Bay I thought existed would have refused to release Roseanne and 3rd Rock if all they were allowed to get the rights to is the syndicated version. Guess I was wrong.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Anchor Bay cares about their product but they (like every other business) care about making money. Do you expect them to pass on what is probably one the biggest releases in their history because another company won't give them the network versions?

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard around the net that the US version of 3rd Rock is identical to the UK version. However, whether they are syndicated or complete episodes is still a mystery. The episode summary for "Dick's First Birthday" contains a scene that doesn't appear in the episode on DVD (US). So, either the summary is wrong or that episode at least is cut. No one seems to know. Anyone? Did Carsey-Werner release 3rd Rock cut too?

By the way, "Roseanne" has dropped to 3 1/2 stars on Amazon.com

David*W

Agent
I have to say that when Roseanne was last broadcast on Channel 4 in the UK in around 2002 it was uncut. In the UK we don't cut episodes like the do in the States for syndication. Now if Channel 4 in the UK still owns the rights to unedited prints why can't they be put on DVD. Also I'm 100% sure that Paramount comedy channel in the UK has the unedited prints too, so it's an even bigger kick if the UK gets an edited DVD when the complete versions are on TV over here!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I sent an email to the 'contact us' on Roseanne's website. Maybe it will come to her attention. Until she steps in, I seriously doubt that this situation will be resolved. Carsey-Werner should be burned at the stake for this. I feel really sorry for those of us who were looking forward to this DVD set only to have to pass on it. Total bummer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It seems pretty unlikely that she doesn't know about the situation. Unfortunately, she probably has as much power to do something about it as anyone here does. If CW is 'stuck' in a contract with syndcation, no one can do much about it.

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
I can't recall where I heard her say this (and, honestly, I may be remembering it out of context as well), but she made a statement to the effect of: "...as long as it doesn't stop those residual checks, I don't care what they do."

I don't really care about this show, but perhaps that rationale factors into the release of syndicated episodes for CW shows. Maybe they don't want to risk screwing up the flow of syndication money as a result of releasing full episodes on DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

If that is so, then why have other studios released uncut versions of:

All in the Family
Bewitched
The Brady Bunch
Cheers
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Frasier
Friends
Gilligan's Island
The Golden Girls
Good Times
M*A*S*H
I Love Lucy
King of the Hill
The Nanny
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
The Twilight Zone

Each one of these shows, along with so many others, have generated millions in syndication revenue for their respective studios, but uncut versions are on the DVDs nonetheless. There is no reason to get someone to pay for what they can see on TV for free. What you can't see on TV for free, people will pay for, and this is where TV DVDs should have the upper hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks