What's new

Anamorphic Downconversion 1.85 vs. 2.35 question (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I think this is basically a software question, so I am posting it here in the Software section, so Mods if I yet again posted in the wrong section please move.
I have a 32" Direct view TV without squeeze capability, and a non progressive DVD player.
Ok, I know about Anamorphic downconversion. On a 2.35 AR Anamorphic movie I know my DVD player removes every 4th line to obtain the correct ratio.
My question is, is 1.85 Anamorphic the same? Because the picture is bigger on a 1.85, does my player have to remove less lines to obtain the correct AR? Say maybe every 5th or 6th line? What about 1.77 and 1.66? Even less?
My common sense tells me that since the picture is bigger it wouldn't have to remove as many lines.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that 1.85 and 2.35 contain the same resolution. The letterboxing present in each still counts as lines of resolution, so any rules that apply to one apply to the other.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Alex is correct. All DVD images are derived from a 4:3 frame, so the same amount of down conversion is present on both anamorphic images.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Sean, also remember that an Anamorphic 2.35 picture has some black bar on the actual picture before the player does the downconversion to compensate for the differences. A 1.85 has much less (which is usually not even visible on most TVs).
------------------

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Thanks guys!!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
So why then, does a 1.85 movie on my unsqueezeable 36-inch Toshiba seem to exhibit less of the usual downconversion artifacts than a 2.35 movie? Or is it just my imagination?
------------------
Mario
Proprietor and chief nacho chip server of Cinemario

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It is your imagination. The process is the same. However, the amount of picture affected (percentage wise) is more on a 2.35 film due to its size. Therefore more detail will be lost since the image is presented as a smaller percentage of the screen size.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks