What's new

An Open Letter To Mr. Feltenstein re: The Warner Bros. Archives (1 Viewer)

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I will happily pay a premium for a 3D blu of Phantom of the Rue Morgue -- with an extra of the 1941 MGM Pete Smith short Third Dimensional Murder

I endorse this suggestion 100%!

Phantom of the Rue Morgue is near the top of my list for movies I would love to see on 3D-Bluray. Third Dimensional Murder would be an ideal companion piece that would make it an absolute must-have disc among a certain crowd.

As Camps mentions, WB would be well-served in availing of the services of 3-D Film Archive . Their work is always to the highest standard, and they can get the job done on budgets that have proved viable for far more obscure films of that era. They also work with Universal and Paramount to produce DCPs and 3D-Blurays of sought-after 3-D classics (of which WB has more than any other studio).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree wholeheartedly, but Warner's internal policies make that almost impossible. They generally do not license out titles (with some limited recent exceptions, usually when the filmmakers insist), and they also generally do not allow work to be performed outside of their facilities.

In a perfect world, they would scan whatever elements they have on-hand, and then turn those scans over to the 3D Film Archive for restoration and alignment work. This would be a reasonable compromise, in my view, which would allow Warner to remain protective over the physical assets while also allowing work to continue.

Unfortunately, Warner also has a policy that they will not release anything that is not absolutely pristine; they would prefer to put out nothing rather than put out a disc that's 90% of perfect. There's an old phrase I like that goes, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I would say that's almost an unofficial motto for the 3D Film Archive; they've been able to bring movies back to life that I had thought I'd never be allowed to see, but sometimes to the trade-off is that it only looks 95% of perfect instead of 100% perfect. Of course, this is because the budget on one of their jobs might be $5000, whereas Warner spent $300,000 on the House Of Wax 3D disc. I don't know if they made that back or not, but in 2017, with 3D having lost support from hardware manufacturers, there's a smaller crowd now than then for 3D content at home. A $300,000 investment might not be recoverable in 2017. But a $5000 one almost certainly is.

I am a big fan of so much of what Warner does, but I feel that they have a couple blind spots in their approach that do no one any good, and I feel like this is one of them. Right now, there are people who remember those older 3D films, who want to see them and are willing to buy them, and who have the equipment to play them on. They'll leave the film cans in cold storage, and nothing will come out. They might even talk about how restoration technology gets cheaper all the time, so that while it's not financially viable for them to restore it now, it might one day be. And that could turn out to be true. But it also seems at least somewhat possible that in ten years from now, a large portion of the audience for those older 3D films might be deceased, and/or there isn't enough home 3D equipment remaining to make a release viable.

I'd rather have copies of those 3D titles now that are 90% or 95% percent perfect, than to hold my breath forever waiting for a 100% perfect copy that will never be financially or technologically viable for Warner to produce.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I am aware of the particulars of that situation, though I'd rather go over the reasons why they would be well-advised to pursue 3-D restorations through The 3-D Film Archive, than rehash the given reasons why they haven't released any vintage 3-D for the past two and a half years (while Sony through Twilight Time and 3DFA through Kino have released a string of titles).

WB can reassess what their priorities are going forward, and perhaps should be encouraged to reassess certain priorities from time to time. The Porky Pig 101 dvd has been given as one example of an imperfect WB release that may demonstrate a willingness to relax some of these policies in order to get something out there.

I like Camps' suggestion, regardless of how WB might pursue it. I want WB to know of my interest in the title, and I encourage others to do the same, regardless of whether they see it as a realistic possibility under current internal policies.

Look at all the great stuff this movie has to offer!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
You are completely right of course, Josh. Part of the issue with not allowing these assets to go off campus naturally relates to piracy concerns, which is understandable, but how about inviting the 3D Film Archive team to work on-site?

As for the quality issue: Assuming WB has been keeping these assets well preserved, and they have a reputation for doing so, they should allow a blu ray to be produced. Some preservationists are fine with these prints being used simply for revival screenings, but George Feltenstein and Warner Archive have been all about monetizing catalog assets, and releasing these titles, even if imperfect, is of course in keeping with that mission.

Yes, there are (forgive me) geeks on boards -- maybe even here ;)-- who might squawk about imperfections but I obviously fall into the camp of those who say get 'em out of the vaults so we can see 'em.... and I think there are a lot more of us! :3dglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks