What's new

Amps on top or bottom...now you know :) (1 Viewer)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Mary/Alan: I'm splitting a gut............in male fashion of course and my electrons are scared.(Oh well I won't say the last word for fear of offending sensibilities).

But, back to Chu's thread - I recently happened on another tested but little known theorum about the behavior of electrons. They are kinda like House Elves in the Harry Potter books. Behind the scenes working didligently --- a slave to the Home Theater Master.

However, I'm feeling like they are getting abused....burnt up, spasmadic, running in different directions, trying to beat them down. All I think is that these poor things need some attention and MONEY.

They told me the other night that unless you numb nuts (well may not exactly apply to the females lurking here)start paying them a tolling fee that your music and home theater was going to start sounding really crappie.

They want independence!!!!! They want shift work and differential and they want you guys to quit trying to figure out ways to abuse them. Its really getting tough out there and they are fed up with these working conditions caused by you crazy, single minded, addicted, non feeling HT Nuts and also the manufacturers demanding more and more service to more and more exacting levels of efficiency.......I mean they already work faster than we can think............frick what do you guys want......

Let figure out how to help these poor abused critters!

Mike

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have an advantage to all here, but hesitated to mention as my latest setup has not been tweaked yet.
My electrons will not only be geographically low (better than that rock!) and (denser) (but faster) eventually.

I noticed a firesale last year in the paper:
http://www.hep.net/ssc/new/history/
And picked up a long-term lease for a song.
I knew I would immediately reap benefits from underground shielding, but as yet have not managed to increase the speed of the electrons trapped inside my amps (nor to make them collide) so that I can understand their nature at the sub particle level and vary their rate of travel at my leisure.

I attempted first to run (really fast) but made it only to the ½ mile marker, (only 52 ½ to go) while carrying my Outlaw 770. This indeed was a large accomplishment, but doomed to failure at its onset. I next attempted to exchange the 770 for my 750. Figuring if I could get 5 channels of amplification to travel near the speed of light this would still realize a net (though 2-channel reduced) gain in HT performance.

Quickly I have concluded that my modis operatis of linear acceleration needs improvement. I am in the middle of my studies and have discovered that the earliest accelerators experimented with were simple vacuum tubes. I am now in negotiations with a fellow member over at the Outlaw forum to purchase his entire stock of “jan” 6v6 etcs, and looking at a good deal on WE’s 300B’s in bulk.
I am still figuring out how these might be adapted (end to end) for 53 miles.

My next issue will be constructing a large enough potentiometer to control my new gain, once I get these suckers cooking individually at twenty trillion electron volts.

Right now I have an esteemed cable manuf. (production completion estimated at 6 months) working on those really long interconnects I’ll need from here to Waxahachie

You know HT will just nickel and dime you to death. :)

But I can’t wait to see this:
http://www.greatguy.com/computer.htm
level of performance out of my newly engineered amps.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
reminds me my younger days when we built cloud chambers...didn't need no stinkin' simulation!

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
OK, the bass is better again. I put one of those mineral filled audiophile pyramid thingies on top of the rock. The bass is no longer muddy. It also stopped raining, but I'm sure it was the pyramid.

I'm no audiophile theoretician, but I suspect that the pyramid shape deflects the the gamma rays from hitting the electrons responsible for bass.

Anyway, my bass is better than ever! You guys rock! :emoji_thumbsup:

The next step is more expensive interconnects between the amps and the house. How much should an audiophile spend? Perhaps I should ask, how much shouldn't an audiophile spend, when it comes to perfect bass?!?

Martin.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
one should always spend ~$1000/interconnect and then post a question about which amp/preamp should they buy to complement them.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I can tell you for sure that better interconnects certainly help those electrons feel like they are appreciated.

Why I'm considering that silver speaker cable - you know the ones with a diameter of 1 inch. Its only about $600 per foot and I only need 300 feet - no problem. All to help our little brothers.

Mike

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
OK, the bass is better again. I put one of those mineral filled audiophile pyramid thingies on top of the rock. The bass is no longer muddy. It also stopped raining, but I'm sure it was the pyramid.
Is the pyramid thing big enough to shield the patch of group above the amps from the rain?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I put 17 isolation pads under the rock. The difference was night and day! It was like a there was a wet towel hanging in front of the tweeter before, which has now been removed. The soundstage is like 0.76 inches wider, and the clarity! I can hear every crackle and buzz on my poorly recorded and/or mastered CD's from the eighties! They sound awful. Wow! This is the system I've always wanted!

Do you think more isolation pads are in order here? Also, anybody think I should try running unshielded ICs? I hear they sound better...

Thanks,
Martin.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If your system is suffering from incontinence, you should be using Depends. I often incorporate a processor whose purpose is to introduce wow & fluter as well as ticks and pops into my CD's to make them more vinyl sounding :D

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Good advice! BTW: before reading this thread, like a good HT citizen, I always listened to CD's using the Rock Concert DSP. However, I've noticed that after the tweaks wraught here, the Church DSP is more appropriate! Anybody else notice this phenomenon?

Martin.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
So, all I want to know, being one that goes to great lengths to get good sound - is when should I stop digging!!! ;)

Larry

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It has been with extreme patience that I have held back for three pages. But I will let you in on a secret: exorcism. Don't laugh. It really works, whether solid state or tube, high or low, inside, outside, pesticide, you name it. Talk behind my back all you want, but I have the better sound to prove it. Empirically. Height relative to sea level is not as important as the attitude and inner well-being of an electron. In other words, attitude over altitude. It is clear to me.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I can't believe this. I read Chu Gai's post when it first came out. And knowing how serious he is, and how he is one of the board's great BS detector/deflectors, I took his post seriously. After all, if he has a tweak that works, then it must really work. So I rearranged all my components, and even built a gravity-friendly component rack from scratch, sanding and varnishing the wood, cutting and sanding the glass for the new glass doors, the whole bit. And now I come back and realize the whole thing is a joke. My jaw is on the floor (gravity, I suppose). Well, I got some good laughs. And luckily I hadn't got rid of my old rack, which was, I must say, more user friendly.

Does anybody want my hand-built gravity friendly rack? If you turn it upside down, it doesn't weigh much, so I can send it to you for the cost of a stamp. Just let me know....

Live and burn, as my wife says.

Dan

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
I keep my amp on the bottom because its heavy and unlike electrons I have no quantum force to prevent serious bodily harm should my shelf tip over and 50 lbs of transformer and chassis fall on my big fat (but empty) head.
There is so much to debunk Chu you have a long road ahead you. But i'm sure we'll have some laughs on the way.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
In all this technical stuff you guys keep posting about racks, top , bottom, and theories to numerable to mention......

Our Administrator, Jack Briggs has hit on exactly the problem........the inner psychology of the electron.....

My point in all these pages exactly......most of you are thinking like ENGgineer's instead the sweet loving and kind Home Theater Forum Junkies that we all are.....we need to nuture our electrons with positive motive force.

This process will definitely bring out the best sound and will keep you in tune with the life of our little friends....

Maybe Jack will help sponser my course......

In a Loving manner.....

Mikey

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
(Oh gods. I take a few days off to move and THIS is what I come back to! :eek: )

Hummm... I wonder if a link to this thread in the newbie FAQ would have interesting results... (No...bad administrator, very very bad)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks