What's new

Amps on top or bottom...now you know :) (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Often, people ask a question like, where should I put my amp or receiver if I want to improve my sonics? What can I do to tighten up my bass? Now many place their amps somewhere higher up. This is wrong. You should place your amp at the very bottom. For those of you who run monoblocks and place each amp by the speaker on stands, well you're doing the wrong thing. Sell the stands and put your amps on the floor. There are several theories, all of which apply, which serve to explain the improvement in the bass. I think it's time to look at them all so that we, as audiophiles, may inform our friends of the sound, scientific reasons, why amps belong on the floor.

It is well known from anyone who does any baking, that less time is required when baking at lower altitudes. This is simply due to air pressure. Scientifically, according to well-known Chemical colligative properties, the boiling point of a substance decreases with decreased air pressure. At lower altitudes, such as you'll find at the bottom shelf (better the floor) more electrons are available. At higher altitudes, like anyplace other than the ground, more electrons escape. Being very light, they escape very quickly and take with them very very important audio information that contributes to a tightened bass. The important thing to understand from all this, is that for those of you who live in Denver, you're doomed, no matter how much you spend, no matter what subwoofer you buy, to having worse bass than us, who live at lower altitudes. You think Hussein built those underground bunkers for personal protection? Think again me bucko, it was to improve his bass. Duhhhhhhhh!

Another reason has to do with rather simple gravitational effects. When you place your amp high, the electrons have to fall further. This is a very bad thing because what they do as they fall is to bump into the slower moving ones down the interconnects and speaker wires. For those who remember, potential energy (that's the energy something has by virtue of where it's located) can be converted to kinetic energy (that's the energy that's directly related to an object's movement). Hence, what occurs is that as these electrons get bumped they increase the cable capacitance. This has the well-known effect of diminishing the bass and making it more muddy. Some think that what also is happening is that the audio information that the electrons are carrying gets transferred and spread out. I think there's some merit in this.

You can further help prevent the electrons from escaping by placing heavy objects on top of the amp. Keep in mind how small electrons are and don't for a minute think you can use sand bags. That's just plain foolish. Lead, or depleted urananium is much more effective in keeping your electrons from escaping. While you're at it, make sure there's a dictionary on top of the heavy weights to improve definition.

Speaker manufacturers, the good ones that is, have known this for many years which is why woofers are placed on the bottom. Oh, you don't have a speaker like that? Quickly sell it on Audigon while you can and buy one that does.

Now for you skeptics, lower your amp and see if you don't hear a tightening of the bass. Ask your wife or girlfriend. Even if they're out in the car, or visiting their mother, they'll know that something's different and not only different, but better. Try it :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Actually it's easy to stop the emission loss of electrons.
I sheild all my amps in my custom developed Electron Sheild
Generators (Reynolds Aluminum Foil). I take the utmost care
to use the shiny reflective side towards the amp's innards
as this increases the effective "Beaming" action caused by
the Sheids.

I don't agree with your summary on the flow of Electrons in
a cable though. From my experiances you need at least one to
two inches of cable drop to accelerate the flow of Electrons
towards the desitination. The problem with any interconnect
reguardless of price, is the existance of Free Radicals. Any
time an Electron comes in contact with a Free Radical it
causes the Electron to veer from it's intended linear path.

Now anyone who races cars will know that to get around a
road course you have to pick a fast line and stick with it
making sure to apex every turn perfectly. The same goes for
the Electron on it's journey through an interconnect. The
Free Radicals are like Turnpike Barrels (Pennsylvania's
official Mascot) and they cause the Electron to weave rather
violently in and out of the path. What I like to do is some
algorhythmic calculations to predict which way the electron
will weave and then I bend the cable in the opposite way so
that the Electron "sees" a clear path essentialy.

It would also be well advised for anyone to place a brick on
top of thier amp. Gravametrics play a major role in how an
amp functions. We may not be able to detect them, but large
gravity wells on the surface of the planet (everywhere) reak
havok on upper range dynamics and dampening factor. Just the
addition of a brick (must be red cinder) will help to thwart
the ill effects of super large gravity wells.

Happy Tweaking!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
You guys make a good point here but I would like to add an important fact..........If one takes the inverse square of the speed of the radical remonstrators (lazy electrons) and coorelate that with your elevation and gps position one actually proves the Mass Particle Interceptor Theorum.

This theorum was first postuated by Einstein and later proved by the people here on HTF. It just goes to show you the truth that you guys speak for the enjoyment of all.

I think you guys should be up for the Nobel Peace Prize in Audio Telekinetics.

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Hey Mike....I've met you several times now, and I never knew you were that smart!!;)

But you do manage the Electric Plant down there in Hamilton, don't you!!

Every time I'm in Hamilton, I've noticed that all the electrons are right where they are suppose to be!!:emoji_thumbsup:

BTW, my Carver amp is on the bottom of my rack as you well know!!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
This all leads to a rather important corollary: No matter how much you shake, wiggle and dance, the last electron still stays in your amps. Proof? Kill the power and touch a capacitor...Only kidding folks, don't do that...trust me :)

Walt N

Second Unit
Interesting tome Chu. IMO you have adequately explained how to tame and control otherwise errant electrons, but you have failed to mention the importance of filtering BAD electrons. Now that the Bybee Power Purifier is no longer in production, an excellent DIY solution is to strip the insultation off of all power cords and run the bare wires through drilled out Brita Water Filters.

It may be tough to get a perfect seal, so to be safe one should tape a flyswatter to a pool cue so escaping BAD electrons can be swatted down from the sweet spot.

Hope that helps.

JohnFF

Agent
Don't forget to dip your amp into melted butter to help keep the sticky electrons moving. Some say you need to do this once per day but my own experience is that once a week is more appropriate. Don't forget to unplug the power on the amp first!

I used the melted butter tweak to fix a couple of stuck pixels on my buddy's plasma. He swears it also made a dramatic improvement in his plasma's black levels as well.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Excellent post Chu. Although I don't understand what it meant, I am sure it meant someting because of all the scientific words in it. They must mean something of a serious value. Putting the amps on the floor? Consider it done. No more ceiling mounted amps for me. Just the mere thought of moving those amps down is giving tighter bass, already! :D

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
As everyone knows. Bass is heavier than any other frequency range. So, I tip my amps up so the bass will flow out first. This clears the way for the mids and high frequency to sort themselves out in proper order. You have to play with the angle so you don't get too much bass at once though!

P.S. Mine is tipped at 28 degrees during the winter months. And 38 degrees during summer. ;)

RichardHOS

Second Unit
All of this amplifier positioning is useless if you aren't using a magnetic cleanser for your CD's to re-orient the information on them before each playing. Everyone knows this.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The reason for the demise of the purifier (be still my faint heart), and I can only hope it is dead, is quite simple. The device, which trapped errant and misbehaved electrons, provided no way for the user to empty the device. Myself, I'd tried x-lax and even magnesium purgatives to no avail.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Phase angle Darrel, don't they teach you anthing at the U of StereoPhool? Sheesh!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Guys:

I guess we need to go back to the basics..........One does not need water purification, ma's butter, xlax or other similair short term remedies if one is using Telekinectics to control all types of errant electrons.

Personnaly I practice telling mine what to do once per day...but I have found that tilting the amp and bricks do seem to help with those low frequency bullies. They have to know who the boss really is.........I'm starting a class soon in Electron Telekinetics for you unbelievers.......

This class will be totally based upon real science with only empirical data allowed. We will discuss the theory and demonstate the application. Only true audio guys dedicated to this forum are allowed. I wouldn't teach it to the infidels.......in case the administration is worried......I wouldn't dare risk getting booted for weeks at a time from my forum......not to mention the insufferable damage to my pristine reputation.

My Motto is:

"Evolution created anchovies.
Man's ignorance put them on pizza."

Yep that's it!

Mike

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hee, hee. I have a different reason for placing my amps on the bottom of my rack.

I live in CA. CA has earthquakes. I want the heaviest components on the bottom to make my rack more stable. If I get a benefit in sound quality because of that? Cool... ;)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
You guys are crazy.

I trick my amps into believing they are at ground level. What one must do is put the amp on the top of the rack in a kitty litter box. Instead of litter substitute potting soil, landscape gravel and a little peat moss and the amp will behave like it is on the ground.

I haven't tried sand to trick it down to sea level yet but the current method works pretty good for me.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Maybe we could build an enclosure out of deep rock strata, with various minerals or fossils or something. Then they'll think they're underground, no?

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Now, now , now.........resorting to trickery and tomfollery, while a valid techniques and certainly useful at times, cannot overcome the overwhelping results of Telekenesis Electrolosis Expungiato..........

One the myriad of techniques one will learn in my course offering.

I'm accepting applications for the school now.....

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks