What's new

amp for yamaha (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
I have a yamaha htr5790. I have been reading many other threads about using amps with recievers and getting better performance out of the speakers. my speakers are energy connesieur series(7.1 setup). I was wondering if adding an amp to my setup would really improve the sound a whole lot or would it be just a marginal improvement? Should i power the 3 fronts only or the sides and back surrounds also with the amp.. the reciever in itself is pretty decent. If you do suggest an amp would be worth it then which amps should i be looking at within the 500$ price range. Thanks a Ton!!
Daman

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I own the same receiver and asked the same question about a month ago. The suggestions I got were to get a used 5 channel amp if this would be my first amp purchase. Just let the receiver run the rears. From what I see there are many, many options. New vs. used. Mono-blocks. 3 channel for the fronts and center. 5 channel. 7 channel. I'll probably save up for a while and get 7x200 and be done with it, but that's just me.

Daman

Second Unit
thanks for the inputs Eddie, so what 7X200 amp are you looking at?? can you point me to some good links/companies whoose amps i should be checking out..

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I'll probably look at the Outlaw 770. If I can round up some extra cash, possibly one of the Gemstones. I'm new at the whole "separate amp" thing, too.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Daman,

I think in your situation the answer is probably “marginal.” The reason is that your speakers have better-then-average efficiency, which means they put out a lot of volume for the power they use.

It wouldn’t hurt to try, though. You might find that imaging or transients improve, especially with music using the front speakers. Just make sure you have the option to return it for a full refund.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mackie

Supporting Actor
Daman - I recently added two outlaw M200 monblocks to my Denon 3803 and Paradigm Studio 40, 470, 20 setup. I was expecting major improvements, but what I discovered is that at low listening levels the amps didn't improve the sound at all! However, when I turn it up the improvements are pretty noticeable. Problem is that I don't usually listen to music at the levels needed to tell a difference. I've kept the amps and don't regret getting them since it gives me more choices later if and when I upgrade, change receivers, or get a second music only system.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks a ton guys!! That cleared a lot of doubts i had .. so i may/may not notice an improvement if i add an amp to the system. I think then the best way as Wayne suggested it to buy from someplace where i can try it out and see if i get results otherwise return it back. Thanks for the inputs again :)
Daman

mackie

Supporting Actor
Try the Outlaw amps - they're awesome to deal with and have a great bang for the buck ratio. Their return policy is pretty generous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks