What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (4 Viewers)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My mp for this weekend was Thank You For Your Service. Since this month includes Veteran's Day and the Marines Birthday, i felt this choice was appropriate. A rather unflinching look at the hardships faced by several members of a bomb disposal unit in Iraq in 2007. Emotional notes were hit and the plight of the returning soldiers was dramatized fairly well. A movie based on real people that will give the audience something to think about. A small character driven movie. It made me appreciate all that our soldiers must contend with.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie last night with my wife was Victoria and Abdul. Good film. We both liked it. My wife doesn't have a mp card yet, but I convinced her to get one.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I used this today to see LBJ. My theater must be trying to track MoviePass use because the person at the box office wrote MP on the top corner of the part of the ticket that the ticket taker keeps.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie today was Wonderstruck. I did like it, but it's a mostly quiet movie that won't be for all tastes. But actually it's movies like this, that I might normally skip, that mp is really helping me to experience.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My mp today was Murder On The Orient Express. I was hesitant as I think the '74 version is very good, but this version was much better than I expected. Again, mp is allowing me to view films I feel ambivalent about. I have been surprised to find that I have enjoyed them all to some extent.

I believe that will change tomorrow as my wife wants to see Daddy's Home 2. Not a big fan of Will Ferrell. Maybe Mel Gibson can be funny .

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Movie Pass flick today was Daddy's Home 2. Still don't much care for Will Ferrell, his shtick is a bit old to be still be acting like Buddy the elf.

Actually this movie was enjoyable because of Mel Gibson and John Lithgow. Again, MP works as I would not have paid full price to see this. Not a terrible film, just not quite my cup of tea. On the other hand, my wife enjoyed it immensely. Worth it for her enjoyment.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Got this email today and am wondering if it is legit.

Thanks so much for your support. To show you our appreciation for your feedback and all of your patience with us these past couple of months, and for being an early MoviePass adopter, we’re giving you first dibs on a new, annual planthat’s launching for a limited time only, ahead of the Holidays.

$6.95 a month when you sign up for 12 months. That’s better than getting THREE MONTHS FREE. To switch your plan, sign in to your MoviePass account and confirm your new plan. The $89.95 will be billed at the beginning of your next billing cycle, until then your account will continue to reflect the $9.95 monthly plan.

Happy Holidays!
Your MoviePass Team

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also received an email like that. I think if I was actually using mine, I'd jump at it, but since I haven't really touched it, I don't want to make a year-long commitment.

I think it's a great idea for a program but between my current transportation situation where commutes that should be 15 minutes now take an hour or longer, and going to the movies has become an ordeal where it's hard to motivate myself to see something on a whim, when I'll spend more time in transit than the length of the movie itself. The only thing that I can muster enthusiasm for seeing are things presented in super premium formats like IMAX 3D with laser projection. If Moviepass expands to include premium offerings, I'd get a lot more usage out of it. But I am also hopefully that with awards season about to start, that there will be a plethora of standard-2D only films that are appealing and where seeing them on Moviepass wouldn't entail sacrificing a premium option.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Huh??

I was simply asking whether it was legit.

Jeez Dude.
Oops sorry about the way that looked. I was kidding about you being not special because everyone got the offer.

The comma after Sorry was supposed to help. It didn’t.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie yesterday was Lady Bird, which has nothing to do with the former first lady. Set in California, where I grew up, it's a good comedy-drama, with fine performances all around, including by Saoirse Ronan.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A few thoughts on the long-term prospects of mp....

When Amzn started as an online bookstore, they might lose—when all costs and overhead were considered—maybe at most c. $50 million dollars in selling $500 million dollars of books at a discount. In other words, the loss was c. 10% of sales. But in the long run, they were growing a sustainable business.

My guess is that the average MoviePass customer is getting something like $60 of movies a month for $10. that's an average—and so a few percent in that are seeing almost a movie a day, while others are only maybe seeing 1-2 movies a month. But the average is probably at least 6 movies at c. $10 per movie. If so, that means that MoviePass has net losses, before even counting corporate overhead, website costs, etc., etc, of c. $50 for every $10 of sales. If amazon sometimes lost as much 10% on sales dollars in the beginning, it seems likely that Moviepass is losing maybe around 500% on every dollar of sales.

That's a nightmare number, and not sustainable in the long run, unless you find billions of dollars in investment money that someone is willing to just burn up. I hope they do find such investors, because I love the service.

One idea I heard would be for someone like Amazon to buy it, but I don't think Jeff Bezos is interested in a model that burns up that kind of money just to get some data and some unknown future advertising revenue.

Again, I really hope they can make it. Movie Pass is wonderful imho. But the economics of it in the long run are difficult to see at this point.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie today was Roman Israel, Esq. My overall grade: "B-"

I'm a big Denzel Washington fan, and so it was enjoyable for his performance. Colin Farrell is good in it too. But I had some issues with the screenplay.

But with MoviePass, I get to see and enjoy movies like this that get mixed reviews and just relax and let it happen....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie today was Wonder. Overall, I liked it, although I can imagine some people will object to its "heart warming" qualities....

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Has anyone seen "The Man Who Invented Christmas"? I'm trying to decide between it, "Coco" and "Roman Israel, Esq" for my MP choice tonight.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that the average MoviePass customer is getting something like $60 of movies a month for $10. that's an average—and so a few percent in that are seeing almost a movie a day, while others are only maybe seeing 1-2 movies a month. But the average is probably at least 6 movies at c. $10 per movie.

Where are you getting your numbers? That seems like a lot of speculation based solely on a "guess." You could very well be correct, but do you have any hard data to back up your conjecture? I'm not coming down on you. I'm genuinely interested because I find the company and its business model to be fascinating.

I thought sure I'd be going to the movies a lot more than I do, once I got my card. To be fair, I've gone a couple of times a month since getting the card rather than only going a few times a year, which is what I have averaged for the past few years, what with the price of tickets being what they are. Still, it's been much more difficult to get away to a screening than I had anticipated. Life tends to get in the way and my recliner and family call to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks