What's new

Amazon shipping (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've noticed that Amazon's free shipping service sucks lately. Used to be I could count on them to ship either just before a release date or on the release date, and have the order on the release date or within a day or two. Now they don't ship for several days longer, and when they do, shipping takes 6 days or so (where it used to take 2). I have to believe that this is to get customers to subscribe to their new "prime" service, for which you pay $80 and get 2nd day shipping. But all it's going to convince me to do is shop elsewhere. DeepDiscountDVD recently fixed a lot of their shipping problems and their free shipping is the best I've used yet.

Anyone else notice these delays with Amazon?

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I am very happy with Amazon's free shipping I preordered the two disc deluxe edition of "Batman Begins", and in order to get free shipping, I preordered "Star Wars III" at the same time. They did hold shipping until the release of ROTS, but the order shipped yesterday, and I received both today, on release day.:)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I'm not overly concerned with Amazon's free shipping service (free is free :D ) unless the item arrives damaged.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
I got my "Cannibal Holocaust" and "Bird With the Crystal Plumage" today, a week after having ordered it. I expected as much, and the wait was worth the $5 I saved. Disk 1 of CH was a floater, thankfully it was undamaged. This was my first time ordering from Amazon themselves, and not one of the independent sellers, which I usually prefer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I consistently receive my free shipping orders from Amazon much quicker than those from DDD. I usually receive Tuesday's new releases from Amazon by Thursday, while DDD takes 1-2 weeks. I received Return of the Sith and Office Space on Wednesday this week.

I'll generally use Amazon when my order is $25 or more to qualify for free shipping, and DDD when my order is less than $25.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My order from Amazon for this week (which, like everyone else, includes ROTS) won't arrive til Nov. 10. It shipped yesterday. That's the second order in a month to take a long time. I find that just unacceptable, and I won't be ordering much from them until the problem is fixed.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I've discovered that Amazon's delivery estimates are extremely conservative. I'd be surprised if you had to wait until the 10th to get that disc. I use Amazon's free shipping all the time and always have the DVDs the week they come out.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I've never understood how Amazon's free shipping works. Every other online retailer with free shipping either uses the Pony Expre--er, media mail or first class. With Amazon, free shipping can mean they'll send it first class mail the next day, or they'll wait a week and then send it through UPS 3-5 day service.

Every order I've placed through Amazon has arrived before the estimated delivery date -- and many of them have arrived before the estimated ship date.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually, it won't be here before that. The date Amazon gave me is the 12th, but running the tracking number through UPS.com it says delivery is scheduled for the 10th. I've never had a package arrive sooner than when UPS says it will.

I agree that their delivery estimates used to be very conservative, but no more. For the last few months, all the orders I have placed with them have taken much longer than I was accustomed to -- although still within the long period of time Amazon gives itself.

My experience used to be the same as yours -- I'd always get DVDs the same week as the release -- until recently, when they have been arriving 11-12 days after the release date.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I think alot of you tend to forget something: Amazon is in the business to make money! They offer free shipping as one of MANY options. If you choose to use it to save even more money why do you expect it to be of the same service level as shipping you pay for?

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
I too am well satisfied with the free shipping. I've noticed that the last two orders have come via USPS instead of UPS. The post office's tracking #'s don't give you much indication how fast you will get it. And they may have come a day or two later than UPS. But always several days before their arrival estimate.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I usually go ahead and pay for shipping on DVDs and stuff from Amazon, so that I can get it on the day of or day after release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks