What's new

Amazing Europe (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Am in Europe at major stores there are so many Blus and DVDS of classics films never released stateside? Why ? Can anyone explain it??

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Am in Europe at major stores there are so many Blus and DVDS of classics films never released stateside? Why ? Can anyone explain it??

Easy. More people in Europe still buy discs than in the States.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Lots of bootlegs and subpar transfers, too, as this Amazon buyer can attest.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Am seeing great classic titles in department stores that have never been released in the states so aren't bootlegs.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
On the other hand, with gorgeous looking treasures like Eureka's DeMille Cleopatra, The War Lord and Ruggles of Redgap, the recent German For Whom the Bell Tolls and Matter of Life and Death. the French Joan of Arc, the upcoming French Sign of the Pagan I'd say the triumphs indeed dwarf the missteps. Maybe Europeans are just classier, since all the grind house cheap cheese that ever was seems to show up on blu-ray here, many with multiple different releases.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't see any bootlegs in France or Germany, it's only Spain, & if you look at the comments on Amazon.es they tell you (& it's obvious really). Just as well these countries love their classic movies.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been in the capital cities of most of Europe and it's the southern countries where one finds vast numbers of bootlegs in the shops; Spain, Italy and Greece. Must be something to do with all that hot weather.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Very happy with the UK release of the Ealing comdies i purchased like The Man in the White Suite or The Titfiled Thunderbolt...better looking then the region 1 dvd releases. Happy i have my all region blu-ray player.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
AlanP never mentioned where in Europe is is/was, so I meant that in general. ;)
Several reputable department stores a several large chains Spain, Portugal, and Austria. The department stores are Similar to Macy's or Bloomingdales with rather large DVD and CD sections. Many have media stores that carry Blus, DVDs and CDs with films from 40s thru 60s yet to see the light of day here.....

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Several reputable department stores a several large chains Spain, Portugal, and Austria. The department stores are Similar to Macy's or Bloomingdales with rather large DVD and CD sections. Many have media stores that carry Blus, DVDs and CDs with films from 40s thru 60s yet to see the light of day here.....

Hard to tell exactly what releases you are talking about without more information; it has been mentioned in the forums that Spain is known for selling bootlegs of standard def, streamed HD, and ripoffs of transfers on BD, so you have to be knowledgeable of exactly what you are buying.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Three I found on BLU were the Bronston Films... "55 Days At Peking" .....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks