What's new

Amazing Cat Trick!!! (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I taught my cat to sniff anything I put in front of his nose.

Amazing huh?

It started with my finger, then moved to a pencil, now he'll sniff my lighter, inhaler, and even my shoe!

And you thought your threads were worthless.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Damn I hope Julie is okay. It's not like her to skip out on a cat thread. ;) Brad, I know you're joking here, but put anything up to a dog or cats nose and it will sniff it. TF

Brad_W

Screenwriter
[sarcasm]Trey, thanks for the head's up![/sarcasm] :)
I know I was joking. I like to show that "trick" to visitors of my home. They usually just stare at me, but at least I laugh.
Sometimes you have to amuse yourself, even at the expense of your pets.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Brad Sez....
It started with my finger...
But where was that finger prior to him sniffing? Hmmm?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I had a dog one time that had a taste for kitty biscuits.
Didn't have to train him either; he knew exactly where the litter pan was located.
:D

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
"kitty biscuits" - In our house we call them "tootsie rolls". If they're in kitty litter then they're called "almond roca"...

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Well to answer the elusive "where was my finger" question, I'll give it shot:

It was in my mom's... I mean my... Well, actually, it was in my wife's... No no no no that's not it, where was it? (thinking)... hmmm, Oh yeah! It was in...

a can a tuna. how original is that?

TimDoss

Second Unit
"it was in my mom's...", oh this is going to be sick....
"it was in my wife's...", oh this is going to be good....
"Oh yeah, it was in...", wow, I'm disappointed.:frowning:

Julie K

Screenwriter
Damn I hope Julie is okay. It's not like her to skip out on a cat thread

Well, I've been hesitant on account of embarrassing myself.

Oh hell....

I had a calico who would love to smell my breath after I had been eating spicy food. I would open my mouth and gently exhale on her face and she would keep "sniff sniff sniff"ing for quite a while. She really seemed to enjoy it.

:b

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that seems quite cruel actually.
how would you like it if all you could do was smell dinner :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Julie, if I did that with my tarantulas, I think they would just crawl right in... Knowing they like moist dark places, your mouth is a perfect cubby hole... Now that would be a conversation piece in a party! Actually, I saw a Guiness Book of World Records on TV and somebody actually did just that... Of course the audience was all going nutso over it while I was going "awwwwww,how cute" :)
Jay

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Brad, I call it that and my wife laughs about it then says I'm a pervert.
Being called a pervert by your wife while she's smiling is very nice...;)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, since people are jumping on the cat sniffing thing I thought I would pose this question. I have a cat who, after sniffing sometimes, will open his mouth and breathe through his mouth for a couple of seconds. What the heck is he doing? Does he not like the smell? If he doesn't like the smell, why was he so intent on sniffing for such a long period of time before opening his mouth and breathing through it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Getting a cat to sniff just about anything is tantamount to teaching a fish to swim. I've never known a cat not to want to check out the smells around him or her.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Tommy - cats have smell receptors in their mouths as well as their noses, so when they really want to get a good whiff of something (say it's a weak scent) they'll open their mouths and "sniff" it that way.

My tiger kitty Misha who loves to sniff me does that sometimes.

KJP

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I had a fish that could swim once. Then it learned to jump, unfortunatly it never learned to crawl back up into the tank.

Julie K

Screenwriter
will open his mouth and breathe through his mouth for a couple of seconds. What the heck is he doing?

That's known as the Flehmen response. It brings the scent to the Jacobson's organ, or the vomero-nasal organ, located at the roof of the mouth. Far from being disgusted by the scent, they are actually rather enjoying it. It is often seen among male cats who get a whiff of interesting phermones from urine (or smells resembling it). But cats will also occasionally do it just to bring a faint interesting smell into better "focus", as it were.

As for fish: try keeping mudskippers. It was real funny to read in a magazine a description of mudskipper care "Provide land for the fish to get out of the water." These little fish will also climb small trees and bushes.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
That's known as the Flehmen response.
I freaked out the first time I saw my cat do that. It was weird! I came home from spending the day collecting Christmas trees throughout the neighborhoods and taking them to the recycling/composting center. I came home smelling like pine. My cat immediately took to me and was smelling me like crazy. Then she'd pause and sit there with her mouth open for a little while, then get to the sniffing again. I busted up in laughter watching her do that. Then I took my shirt off and threw it on the floor and she practically attacked it...sniffing and laying on it. I came back to it later and it had a strange sour smell...she like it so much she peed on it! At least I assume that's why she did it, but it definately had cat urine on it. I didn't get mad at her for it because she never pees on things. In fact I came back to pick up the shirt because I was worried she was going to do that. Oops...too late!

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
We had a daft (or should I say normal?) cat once which when you tickled a particular point on her back, would lick uncontrollably. Most amusing! Also an easy way to make her take tablets :D

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My dog also has what we call a "Tongue Button" on his hind quarters (no, not there, you pervs!)

If you scratch the haunchs beside his tail, he licks uncontrollably. If you keep it up, he will start chewing on his foot. As soon as you stop, he stops. It's quite funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks